Wagner OEX pads, poor performance

more grooves = less surface area = less friction and stopping power for a given pedal pressure. So you should need to push harder. Not a physics expert but seems logical.

Apply the same force to a smaller surface area it will apply more pressure than a larger surface area. I don't know what that means for brakes or if the amount on a pad is even significant BUT I do know this is the principle for 3, 4, 6 puck clutches vs full surface clutches. Using a less surface puck disc with the same pressure plate gives the clutch more holding power on the flywheel.

I thought the same thing (about decreased surface area of the pads) when I bought them. I got 17K miles on my front ones, didn't notice difference in performance in my Ram pickup.

I just recently ordered some front Wagner OEX pads and Bendix rotors for my cousins 2010 F150, from Rock Auto. The pads were $31.95 ($87.95 at O'Reilly's). The rotors were $45.79 each (Bendix). He claims that the truck stops a lot less shorter than before.

Approaching 2000 miles on the OEX pads all around on a '12 Civic that our daughter drives. I drove it to work a few days last week and while I don't expect any issues to crop up so soon, none have yet. They made a lot of dust the first week but that has stopped now.

Approaching 3 years and 40k miles on the OEX pads on the wife's Expedition. I haven't tried the EHT's, but I have no complaints about the OEX pads. Good bite, lots of material left and most significantly, no squeals which have plagued that rig, especially with the Wagner Thermo-quiets.

A mechanic installed OEX pads on my Impreza at 60k miles. They worked well and were still going strong when l traded it in back in March '21 at 85k miles.

I have been sold on the EHT for a few years now, I first used them on my old VW IIRC and noticed a much better pedal feel, shorter stopping distance and less rotor wear vs OE, been using them on almost everything ever since without any issues.

I just had the opposite result with OEX pads.

I replaced the OE pads with OEX on my Chevy 2500HD and it had a significant initial bite compared to the OE.

Had to relearn stopping and pedal travel while driving it.

Maybe it was the fact they had 156K miles on the OE pads ?

I don't get any unusual amount of dust from EHT pads.

What I can say with the EHT pads is it's the traditional dark grey brake dust unlike brown from most ceramics, which is harder to see, but is still damaging to wheels if left unchecked. Just clean the wheels with every car wash and the EHT pads have behaved just fine in my experience.

I've got OEX pads on my 08 Jeep Wrangler and they are doing extremely well. They also produce less brake dust than any pad I've used previously, including Wagner Thermoquiet.

I don't get any unusual amount of dust from EHT pads.

What I can say with the EHT pads is it's the traditional dark grey brake dust unlike brown from most ceramics, which is harder to see, but is still damaging to wheels if left unchecked. Just clean the wheels with every car wash and the EHT pads have behaved just fine in my experience.
Yeah I don't mind and it wipes right off, but there is a lot more of it compared to the stock pads at least for my application.

I have installed Wagner OEX OEX1327 OEX1326 Pads on my 08 Grand Caravan with the understanding they were ceramic.

From how they perform on my Van compared to the semi-metallics I had on before they are about the same in both stopping power and dusting.

I highly doubt they are fully ceramic, as you can see by the dusting on the rim, note I washed the face of the rim but not the spokes to show how grimy it was.

They were also stamped NRS, as in the same ones ChrisFix did a video on.

As well you can see how dirty the pads were as if they missed a step in manufacturing.

Not happy with the quality or performance, so I will look to other brake pad manufactures.

brake1.jpg
brake2.jpg
brake3.jpg
brake4.jpg

Back