VW Toureg V6

Just learned that the VW Toureg V6, 3.0L turbo diesel that I owned ...... went into the shop in need of a top-end valve job.... at 115,000 miles. It was a $6,000 job... But I wonder why???? I did meticulous maintenance, as did the following owner.... Why?

After the VW we went to a Mercedes ML250 in twin turbo diesel with 140k miles and 9 years of ownership and is running like new.

Why did that VW fail?

Did this happen to you or the subsequent owner? Were the valves adjusted on schedule? Valve issues are not that common on these engines at that mileage but broken timing chain guides are common enough and that can cause valve damage. What exactly was the issue they had to do the top end?

Because it is a VW. You likely did nothing wrong. Plus the new generation of diesels are simply less durable and reliable then the old Mercedes Benz “OMs” that everyone associates with the durability of diesel.

Sorry to hear of this expense and hope that it works out for the new ownerin the end. If it were me, I would tell him to fix it and then dump it. With 100k plus, that SUV, while beautiful, will not stop with the repairs at this age. I base that on a few folks I know that I have owned either the Toureg or the Porsche Cayenne built on the same platform that have experienced lots of expensive repairs after 100k.

Good luck.

Because it is a VW. You likely did nothing wrong. Plus the new generation of diesels are simply less durable and reliable then the old Mercedes Benz “OMs” that everyone associates with the durability of diesel.

Sorry to hear of this expense and hope that it works out for the new ownerin the end. If it were me, I would tell him to fix it and then dump it. With 100k plus, that SUV, while beautiful, will not stop with the repairs at this age. I base that on a few folks I know that I have owned either the Toureg or the Porsche Cayenne built on the same platform that have experienced lots of expensive repairs after 100k.

Good luck.
I heard also that fuse number 48 on space shuttle was problematic. I base that on few people I know.

Just learned that the VW Toureg V6, 3.0L turbo diesel that I owned ...... went into the shop in need of a top-end valve job.... at 115,000 miles. It was a $6,000 job... But I wonder why???? I did meticulous maintenance, as did the following owner.... Why?

With little to no details provided as to what "top-end valve job" or "meticulous maintenance" actually mean, I'm going to guess that the pivot point on the driver's side upper chain tensioner (the only one you can replace while the engine is in the car) went oval and eventually broke.

I think it's a material issue. Some have issues, others do not. My Touareg is about to click 160k miles and total unscheduled maintenance has been:

1x SCR (under warranty)
2x NOx sensor (under warranty)
1x Aux coolant pump. (under warranty)

My chains are silent and deviations are within tolerance.

With little to no details provided as to what "top-end valve job" or "meticulous maintenance" actually mean, I'm going to guess that the pivot point on the driver's side upper chain tensioner (the only one you can replace while the engine is in the car) went oval and eventually broke.

I think it's a material issue. Some have issues, others do not. My Touareg is about to click 160k miles and total unscheduled maintenance has been:

1x SCR (under warranty)
2x NOx sensor (under warranty)
1x Aux coolant pump. (under warranty)

My chains are silent and deviations are within tolerance.
But few people…

@edyvw

I don’t hate VWs, in fact I like them a lot, but I find it very frustrating that the company cannot deliver a consistently reliable product, particularly when the driving dynamics and styling is often so much nicer than what comes out of Japan or Korea. And they are a good corporate citizen in the U.S., having invested heavily in U.S. production in TN- another reason to root for the company, in my opinion.

Fwiw, my views on reliability are not just anecdotal; historically they have not been well rated in reliability surveys. And having worked for a number of large industry suppliers earlier in my career it is really no surprise why - they have the cost structure of a large German domiciled industrial concern with the associated labor costs, but unlike for example MB and BMW, they cannot spread that cost more effectively at the premium end of the market. So they get stuck cutting costs in ways that often come back to bite them and the consumer down the road. They are now focused on electrification as the path forward but the WSJ just reported the other day that it is proving more difficult than expected and so what was the first thing they did? They got the unions to agree to what amount to about a 20 percent cost cut - again this has always been the issue. Think GM pre 2008 - same issue basically.

The final thing I will add is another reason I root for VW to get itself straightened out: the only reason my lovely bride ever agreed to date me is that I could keep her late 1980s Jetta coupe running. Crappy car with nice driving dynamics wrapped around a good motor, but everything on that car broke! But it was my ticket at that time!

Good luck to the Toureg owner. These are gorgeous SUVs (we looked at them when they came out but my wife was firmly in the “no VW” camp and we were married at that point so I had no real desire to fix another one) and when they are running right they are very nice machines.

Take care.

@edyvw

I don’t hate VWs, in fact I like them a lot, but I find it very frustrating that the company cannot deliver a consistently reliable product, particularly when the driving dynamics and styling is often so much nicer than what comes out of Japan or Korea. And they are a good corporate citizen in the U.S., having invested heavily in U.S. production in TN- another reason to root for the company, in my opinion.

Fwiw, my views on reliability are not just anecdotal; historically they have not been well rated in reliability surveys. And having worked for a number of large industry suppliers earlier in my career it is really no surprise why - they have the cost structure of a large German domiciled industrial concern with the associated labor costs, but unlike for example MB and BMW, they cannot spread that cost more effectively at the premium end of the market. So they get stuck cutting costs in ways that often come back to bite them and the consumer down the road. They are now focused on electrification as the path forward but the WSJ just reported the other day that it is proving more difficult than expected and so what was the first thing they did? They got the unions to agree to what amount to about a 20 percent cost cut - again this has always been the issue. Think GM pre 2008 - same issue basically.

The final thing I will add is another reason I root for VW to get itself straightened out: the only reason my lovely bride ever agreed to date me is that I could keep her late 1980s Jetta coupe running. Crappy car with nice driving dynamics wrapped around a good motor, but everything on that car broke! But it was my ticket at that time!

Good luck to the Toureg owner. These are gorgeous SUVs (we looked at them when they came out but my wife was firmly in the “no VW” camp and we were married at that point so I had no real desire to fix another one) and when they are running right they are very nice machines.

Take care.
Your post doesn’t make any sense.
1. VW was not good corporate citizen. Just bcs. it invested in TN, does not mean they are good citizen. Meaning: dieselgate. I will not god into details about it, you can read thousands of different reports etc.

2. VW diesel engines are one of better. Previous V6, 2.5 that was not available in US, but only in Europe and some other markets, was the one that was problematic. Generally, VW diesels have far less issues than competitors (if you can call them that way) from Asia, which never sorted out properly diesels in passanger vehicles (hence Toyota buying BMW diesels until they got out of that business in developed markets).
3. Any vehicle can have issues such as this.
4. I have Tiguan since 2013 that I acquired with 36k miles. My expense so far was $5 for HVAC resistor! I did preventive timing chain tensioner work (resolved in 2012 models) and there was recall on water pump.

I can give you
List if cost for Toyota i owned. Valve work on this TDI will be half of that cost, and I got rid of car at 86k.

So, do you actually have experience with them or? I owned 5 VW tdi’s in Europe and had more than 30 of them as delivery vehicles in business I co-own in Europe.

You appear to want to argue. Everyone is a hero on the internet.

I am well aware of “dieselgate.” I think it was bad but it was also one of those things created by, in my opinion, emissions regulations designed to force manufacturers to abandon compression ignition motors. Government over-reach in other words , and the price is we are now having electric cars forced upon us. Foolish behavior by VW and most of the German car industry, but not a moral failing in any sense.

As far as the remainder of what you wrote, post here a reputable publication showing VW as a manufacturer being anywhere near the top 10 in terms of quality or reliability. This issue, above all others, is why they have failed to gain more market share in the U.S., where people simply drive more than in Europe.

Your good luck does not change the fact that VW simply does not make reliable cars, and the data backs that up.

I will wait for the reliability survey and check in when it is posted.

Last edited:
You appear to want to argue. Everyone is a hero on the internet.

I am well aware of “dieselgate.” I think it was bad but it was also one of those things created by, in my opinion, emissions regulations designed to force manufacturers to abandon compression ignition motors. Government over-reach in other words , and the price is we are now having electric cars forced upon us. Foolish behavior by VW and most of the German car industry, but not a moral failing in any sense.

As far as the remainder of what you wrote, post here a reputable publication showing VW as a manufacturer being anywhere near the top 10 in terms of quality or reliability. This issue, above all others, is why they have failed to gain more market share in the U.S., where people simply drive more than in Europe.

Your good luck does not change the fact that VW simply does not make reliable cars, and the data backs that up.

I will wait for the reliability survey and check in when it is posted.
Again, you are full of assumptions, and when someone says something you think that is an arguing.
Other manufacturers did not have that issue. You really do not understand Dieselgate as you did not read anything about it. I am not going to do your work here. You can ask those few people about that too.

You can wait for your reliability survey. The rest of us simply drive them. AGAIN, do you actually have any practical experience with VW, except seeing them in the Facebook "reliability" survey?

I agree with RAVL. They are not known as a paragon of reliability. But they are good drivers. If you want one, you should buy it new.

For this example of an older VW that needed major engine work, how many didn't? I always understood the Toureg TDIs to be very durable engines (maybe not the V10 haha). How old is this Toureg?

For this example of an older VW that needed major engine work, how many didn't? I always understood the Toureg TDIs to be very durable engines (maybe not the V10 haha). How old is this Toureg?
Even the V10 itself is pretty durable.

Everything bolted to the engine, however...

Is still pretty durable. But they're a challenge to work on and neglect seems to be the name of the game for the first owners of many expensive cars...

Even the V10 itself is pretty durable.

Everything bolted to the engine, however...

Is still pretty durable. But they're a challenge to work on and neglect seems to be the name of the game for the first owners of many expensive cars...
I think I have a meme showing that somewhere around BITOG haha

Because. of size and amount of time, people neglect simple things and turn them into real problems.
My W8 is the same way....what many folks call "really taking care of a car" = "I changed the oil". They leave all the other bits that are necessary for a lower-cost longer term ownership experience to the wind...

Back