VW Recall - Springs could break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/volksw...over-fears-springs-could-break-1.4355736

DETROIT -- Volkswagen is recalling over 56,000 cars and SUVs in the U.S. because the rear coil springs can break without warning and cause people to lose control of their vehicles.
The recall covers certain 2015 through 2019 Golf hatchbacks, the 2017 through 2019 Golf Sportwagen, the 2019 Jetta sedan and 2018 and 2019 Tiguan SUV.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says in documents posted Thursday that a broken spring can damage a tire or become a road hazard. The documents didn't mention any crashes or injuries.
The safety agency says a parts maker used the wrong material or manufacturing process to make the springs.
Dealers will replace the faulty parts. The recall begins April 19.

I've recently been to a few VW dealers looking at Sportwagens/Alltracks and Tiguan models. Now I'm recoiling from this spring recall popping up this Spring.

Fahrvergnügen

smile.gif

Ed

I have been driving for over 50 years . Thankfully , never had a spring break .

Recently watched a youtube South Main Auto video on a broken middle leaf spring on a Chevy or GMC pickup . Do not know if the salt on the roads in New York makes it any more likely for that to happen ?

I've snapped two rear springs on German-made BMWs

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Recently watched a youtube South Main Auto video on a broken middle leaf spring on a Chevy or GMC pickup . Do not know if the salt on the roads in New York makes it any more likely for that to happen ?

The fox body Mustangs were notorious in the rust belt for the front springs to break off near the bottom. Often the owner wouldn't even notice.

W. T. F does making car in Mexico have to do with recalls. VW coil springs are NOT made in Mexico but rather they are made by a third party supplier so the coo is not Mexico. The Puebla plant is an assembly plant that sources parts from many different countries So maybe you should check the facts before saying something asinine like that. The same thing happens in "murica". Aren't KIA's made in the states, aren't they currently experiencing a huge engine recall. Same for the Toyota debacle for acceleration. Lets not forget the GM ignition switch recall that was a 30 MILLION unit recall and was responsible for more than 100 deaths. EVERY vehicle manufacturer has recalls regardless of where they are built. Posting statements like you just did is simply ignorant and arrogant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gimpy1
W. T. F does making car in Mexico have to do with recalls. VW coil springs are NOT made in Mexico but rather they are made by a third party supplier so the coo is not Mexico. The Puebla plant is an assembly plant that sources parts from many different countries So maybe you should check the facts before saying something asinine like that. The same thing happens in "murica". Aren't KIA's made in the states, aren't they currently experiencing a huge engine recall. Same for the Toyota debacle for acceleration. Lets not forget the GM ignition switch recall that was a 30 MILLION unit recall and was responsible for more than 100 deaths. EVERY vehicle manufacturer has recalls regardless of where they are built. Posting statements like you just did is simply ignorant and arrogant.

Some folks can't understand it's a global economy now and it makes no difference where a cars final assembly is when the parts come from all over. Don't feed the trolls.

Originally Posted by StevieC

Some folks can't understand it's a global economy now and it makes no difference where a cars final assembly is when the parts come from all over. Don't feed the trolls.

Well put. If it breaks to easily, it is almost always the fault of the OEM who designed it to save money.

Originally Posted by StevieC

Some get uptight over the littlest thing. Lighten up.

I didn't expect that from Stevie though.

he recently put rear coils on a toyota sieanna or a kia sedona ( i think) then a rear center leaf on silverado. I also have never had a spring break, here in florida rust is not a problem.

My new VW has soft springs. Likely by design spec.
I did bottom the whole car out on the Freeway going in to Boston a few times.
That hasn't happend since floaty Grand Marquis or Buick Roadmaster.

I don't think I ever bottomed either of those highway boats.

Hope one of the coils on the rear twist beam axle doesn't break. That would be a dicey save!

I have owned two VWs built in Mexico.a 2013 TDI wagon ad the current 2017 Golf All Track. Sold the TDI back to VW during the diesel who-ha. Both cars had EXCELLENT fit ad finish and both ran exceedingly well. Neither was ever in for any warranty work. Quality f build was far better than any GM product I owned over the years.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
never had a spring break .
Spring break here officially starts today. Just in time.
smile.gif

You are hot today. I am dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back