VW Oil Help, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

The euro cars do seem to be pickier.

The manufacturers love perpetuating the myth that Euro cars are pickier.

Protip: they're not.

Originally Posted By: dparm

The euro cars do seem to be pickier.

The manufacturers love perpetuating the myth that Euro cars are pickier.

Protip: they're not.

I don't consider them "pickier"; I consider them designed for more specific conditions. Not calling out a fault, just sayin'. It is not VW's fault that the US does not have low sulphur fuel or autobahn speeds. It IS their fault if they market cars not sufficiently "global" in application that they have "issues" in places that have sufficiently different operating conditions (once they determine something IS an "issue").

Last edited:
Pscholte, what I was getting at is that everyone has been scared into thinking that German cars are bizarre and need lots of special parts/maintenance/service. The dealers love that because you'll always come back to them and hand over lots of money.

There's this sense of "panic" when someone sees the requirements for a given fluid (power steering, differential, coolant, etc) for German cars. Last I checked, EVERY auto manufacturer has some requirement there. You can't just pour in whatever you want.

To date, the only thing I have run into between my two Audis, BMW, and my brother's VW is that you sometimes need a triple-square drive for things. I don't think German cars are inherently more or less fickle than any other vehicles on the road.

I think the Germans have great ideas that get mastered by the Asians. Then sell the sane technology for less. I have always seen German cars as the innovators then everyone copies them. Sometimes the copied parts work better. sometimes not.

This is my first "euro" car after 20+ years of Asian cars.

I love the car but somethings just make me scratch my head and say "what were they thinking?" Example?

Plastic water pump? [censored] I mean I see it could be a good idear but they fail like OFTEN.

Who puts the intercooler behind the radiator? I mean that is just odd. Wouldn't you want it up front to get the coolest air?

Plastic intake manifold on a turbo charged car? I mean really? And they fail. Either the sensor inside fails of which you have to replace the whole intake manifold or you get boost leaks or cracks if boost is increased much over stock.

I mean sounds pety but to an enthusiast who tinkers you realize you really can't.

Don't get me wrong they have great innovations and I love my GTI. I can see why they havea cult following but from a performance perspectivei was spoiled by the Lancer Evo 8,9. I hated my Evo X.

The GTI is a cool car though. It's just different and that isn't always a bad thing. I just want to figure it out Mechanically so I can make it my own hehe.

off point I know but it's my post so hey ha ha

Jeff

I think the Germans have great ideas that get mastered by the Asians. Then sell the sane technology for less. I have always seen German cars as the innovators then everyone copies them. Sometimes the copied parts work better. sometimes not.

I love the car but somethings just make me scratch my head and say "what were they thinking?" Example?

Plastic water pump? [censored] I mean I see it could be a good idear but they fail like OFTEN.

Who puts the intercooler behind the radiator? I mean that is just odd. Wouldn't you want it up front to get the coolest air?

Plastic intake manifold on a turbo charged car? I mean really? And they fail. Either the sensor inside fails of which you have to replace the whole intake manifold or you get boost leaks or cracks if boost is increased much over stock.

I mean sounds pety but to an enthusiast who tinkers you realize you really can't.

Don't get me wrong they have great innovations and I love my GTI. I can see why they havea cult following but from a performance perspectivei was spoiled by the Lancer Evo 8,9. I hated my Evo X.

The GTI is a cool car though. It's just different and that isn't always a bad thing. I just want to figure it out Mechanically so I can make it my own hehe.

Jeff

I saw plastic water pump in BMW 520i that was made in 1991! Never had problems, replaced when suggested.
Had plastic water pump in VW Passat 1.8T 2005. Changed it together with timing belt at 97k.
Mnifold, well they made mistake, they experiment. You bought the car although you knew there are some issues.
Worse issue would be having Toyota Camry in garage and waking up every morning and driving it.
When you see that car, illumination inside, handling etc, that is when you ask yourself: what they were thinking!
When you rent Nissan Altima with CVT, then you are like: oh thank god I never got idea to go and get something like this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Jeff

I saw plastic water pump in BMW 520i that was made in 1991! Never had problems, replaced when suggested.
Had plastic water pump in VW Passat 1.8T 2005. Changed it together with timing belt at 97k.
Mnifold, well they made mistake, they experiment. You bought the car although you knew there are some issues.
Worse issue would be having Toyota Camry in garage and waking up every morning and driving it.
When you see that car, illumination inside, handling etc, that is when you ask yourself: what they were thinking!
When you rent Nissan Altima with CVT, then you are like: oh thank god I never got idea to go and get something like this.

edyvw,

Sorry but I don't pay $48,000 to be a test mule for a German car company. My Audi A6 2.7T was a blast to drive when it wasn't in the shop. Not minor issues either. Things that could have "killed" the car. My Infiniti? Like a rock! I am not impressed with German automobiles.

Point taken, Hilarious and I know EXACTLY what your saying...No Pun intended to the Camry Owner.

19.gif

Jeff

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I hated my Evo X.

Why?

Why I hated the Evo X vs the previous versions I had? Here is just a few things..

1. Quality. Though the car AWD system was better on the X than the 8 and 9 the X felt very cheap. Lancers have never felt upscale I know, but the 8 and 9 I drove for YEARS never had a rattle in them. EVER. I live in an area with [censored] roads and the 8 and 9 were SOLID. The X? the day I drove it home with 23 miles on it from the dealer sounded like a beer can with BB's in it. The Dash Rattled, the doors rattled, the seat belts rattled the seats rattled, the vents rattled, the instrument panel rattled. So I figured the dealer had too much air in the tires. So I checked and guess what..they were LOW. When I put the correct air PSI in, it was WORSE. Made the car feel SO cheap. My Evo X cost $36K and felt like it was a $12K car. The 8 and 9 DID NOT DO THIS. Also, open and close the doors? the X sounds cheap the 8 and 9 SOLID.

2. Engine. the 4B11T idled rough, got HORRIBLE gas mileage, 5 mpg worse than my Modded Evo 9 running 10psi more boost than the X and my 9 had stage 3 race cams and STILL idled better, and it got 5mpg BETTER than my stock X. Plus you cant work on the 4B11T as easily as the 4G63. Just is how it is.

3. Space. Though the Evo X was a larger car, the inside was smaller. At least in the "real" world. My Son who was 12 at the time, his knees would hit the back of my seat in the X NOT in the 8 or 9. Though my son was younger in the 8, the 9 being the same body he had no problems with space. The Trunk on the 8 and 9 is DOUBLE the size of the X. The X trunk was so small, that when I went on a trip with it with my kids, we had to put our suitcase in the back seat.

Yes its a sports car in a sedan form and YES I still love the EVO's all of them, but for me? compared to the 8 and 9 it just was a TOTAL LET DOWN. I traded it in, less than one year and got the GTI. Was going to get a STI hatch, but my elbow would hit the seat bolster every time I shifted and it [censored] me off. The STI also had a seatbelt strap going through the center of the roof in the rear that got in the way. So I passed on that. Then drove the Ford ST, and that felt cheap too. Got in the GTI and its SOLID. Reminded me allot of the 8 and 9 Evo as for quality. Yes the lancer had a cheaper interior I mean BUILD quality.

The GTI just was the better overall car for me. Maybe when the New Evo comes out or the New STI I will trade, but for now, the GTI won my heart.

Just my ten cents from owning evos since 2003.

Jeff

Bleeding-edge performance cars always suffer from drivability problems, in my experience. Even my M3 has a lousy idle (especially when cold) and sounds like an old diesel. The interior doesn't rattle or groan, which is good...it's still a BMW.

That's the price you pay for a performance car.

Bleeding-edge performance cars always suffer from drivability problems, in my experience. Even my M3 has a lousy idle (especially when cold) and sounds like an old diesel. The interior doesn't rattle or groan, which is good...it's still a BMW.

Im just comparing the Evos. I have owned 4. an Evo 8, 2 9's and a X. The first 3 were solid all around and regret selling my last 9. The X and I just didn't get along. I may look for a solid used Evo 9 down the road. Will see.

Jeff

Guys read this link. This is one reason why I am wondering about the 504. Mind you I believe this is coming from AUS but our USA gas here should be better as for the sulfur goes.

VW 504

Things like this is what just throws me. Thoughts...read the replies too if you have the time..

Jeff

Guys read this link.

Nothing new that hasn't already been noted in this thread and many others on BITOG.

There's nothing wrong with the low and mid-SAPS oils even used in North America. Just be sensible about the intervals, and use a lab that provides TAN as well as TBN.

So just stick to 502 and call it a day then huh Pete?

Umm... no. If I had a DI engine, I'd be running a low/mid SAPS oil in it. I'm pretty sure I said that before.

Ok so let me get another opinion of the low to mid saps oil which would you guys use.

Motul specific 5w30 504/507
PU Euro 5w30
M1 ESP 5w30
Castrol Euro 5w30

I would most likely use one of these. I would have to order any of them so to me as for access I would get then online. Which would you use and why?

I want to stick with one oil and just use it. I don't like switching brands all the time. This engine had seen 3 types all ready.

Jeff

dparm,

I just don't think we ought to accept that. Just because it is a high performance vehicle we should not accept quirks, idiosynchrosies, or reliability issues. Think how long a manufacturer like Porsche takes to bring a car to the track so they are as sure as possible that it is sorted out. I remember early 911s had chain tensioner problems that the aftermarket folks had to market improved tensioners and protective devices in case the tensioner failed because they had interference engines and would self destruct. That is UNACCEPTABLE.

Originally Posted By: pscholte

Jeff

edyvw,

Sorry but I don't pay $48,000 to be a test mule for a German car company. My Audi A6 2.7T was a blast to drive when it wasn't in the shop. Not minor issues either. Things that could have "killed" the car. My Infiniti? Like a rock! I am not impressed with German automobiles.

When was the last time Infiniti EVER introduced something on auto market as their invention?
And, I would definitely would not be impressed paying $48,000 and drive rebagged Nissan Altima!
I am def. not impresed with cars that need huge pipes in the back to produce some sound etc.
When you invent stuff, you tend to make mistakes. Anyway, after soooo many years I still do not hear someone saying: oh I hope I will own Lexus or Infiniti one day

Last edited:
When was the last time Infiniti EVER introduced something on auto market as their invention?

How about steer-by-wire in the Q50?

Quote:

I am def. not impresed with cars that need huge pipes in the back to produce some sound etc.
Some top of the line BMWs and VWs now use the car's audio system to generate engine/exhaust sound in the cabin, which is even more pathetic, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back