VW GTI Brake Pads and Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
That price is not bad. AutohausAZ is pretty awesome.

Don't they just drop ship from worldpac?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Yes, the guide pin bolts do need to be replaced at each brake service.

Oh, those are from a rear brake. These bolts do get screwed into the guide pins. Yes, they are one-time use only.

The caliper guide pins on the front brake are smooth cylinders with a threaded stud at one end. They are not only one-time use. They cost around $30 a piece.

guidepins-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: mormit
Yeah, Textar is a good pad. They supply for several of the German makes. Also look for Mintex brand pads. I'm very happy with Mintex.

Textar, Pagid and Mintex are all owned by TMD Friction, which recently went bankrupt and was bought out by a PE firm. Jurid, which is owned by Honeywell, is also a large supplier to the German makers.

My friend got 'em installed. It took my friend and his cousin three nights to install them.
smirk2.gif

As it turns out, the rear pads were down to 0. The backing plate was scrubbing against the rotor.

The front pads still had 8mm left, or thereabouts. The dealer lied when they said that there was only 3mm left on the front. However, although the pads were fine, the rotors were a bit trashed. Since he had new front pads and rotors anyway, my friend went ahead and installed new front rotors and front pads.

The initial report is that the new pads and rotors work better than the OEM parts. These are Textar (OEM) pads for the front and TRW (OEM) pads for the rear. The rotors are Zimmerman. Time will tell as to whether or not this new setup holds up better than the originals.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
No Centric recommendation Mr. Critic? Last year you thought they were the best thing ever. just curious.

Centric does offer OES-sourced pads from Textar, Jurid, and Pagid on Euro cars. Kragen/O'Reilly's carries them now as well.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The initial report is that the new pads and rotors work better than the OEM parts. These are Textar (OEM) pads for the front and TRW (OEM) pads for the rear. The rotors are Zimmerman. Time will tell as to whether or not this new setup holds up better than the originals.

were they genuine OEM pads, or just pads from the supplier that the vendor claims are OEM? i have seen pads from people claiming they are Mazda OEM and Ford OEM and they look nothing like OEM, nor do they perform like OEM, nor do they have any running updates like the OEM ones do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back