VW Drain Plug / Washer Question ???

So I had an older KIA that was the first vehicle I owned that specified a crush washer on the drain plug. It usually came with the filter, so no problem I used it.

Eventually I was changing oil in my 2018 Passat VR6, and at every oil change VW specified a new drain plug each time. The plug had a crush washer on it as an integrated part. Okay, so I bought and used those no problem (although I resused one once without any issue and am aware others do routinely). I figured VW must have had a reason, so I did it.

I decided to do a 5k OCI on my relatively new 21 Jetta so I duplicated the parts sheet that the dealer listed from the complimentary 10k change. The parts list included a drain plug and a separate crush washer. I asked the parts guy about it when I picked it up, and he said that was indeed the "preferred" plug arrangement for my car, although there was an "alternative" plug available. Again I figured VW must have had a reason so I went with it.

Last night I did my change, and upon removal of the old plug indeed the dealer had used the exact same plug/washer set up when they did the 10k change. The crush washer came right off upon removeal. Here is why I'm confused though. If the crush washer is a separate part (it is) why do I need a new drain plug to go with it for every oil change? VW spec's it, and the dealer used it, but I can't understand why I wouldn't just need the new crush washer going forward.

Any VW guys know? It's only a 3 dollar an OCI difference but it's got me scratching my head.
My 2014 911 requires a new plug and crush washer. Still have the original drain plug and replace the crush washer.

Here’s the plug with replaceable washer, the washer and a comparison of the two.
2EAD118E-5099-4635-BC6D-3C206CE18EED.jpeg
DF0CD1CB-5297-48E2-B17E-D9E6D0592A12.jpeg
5BB412B7-9993-453E-9AD5-69785DA3C526.jpeg
9E611A66-56D3-495E-93E3-503454701563.jpeg

So in the post above you have the replacement plug and washer. You only need the replacement plug once can be reused indefinitely with a new crush washer each time. The blue plug above is the original factory fit plug which VAG say should not be used again once removed as they say it can damage the threads. I’ve never quite worked out how but this is what they say. I think at one point a TPI was available but last time I looked I couldn’t find it. Etka had been updated though to only show the plug and washer not the all in one plug.

The replacement plug I bought was short, but identical to the one the dealer had used previously at first change. Was a bare metal gray color. Washer came right off it too, thinking just a washer would be sufficient going forward.

The replacement plug I bought was short, but identical to the one the dealer had used previously at first change. Was a bare metal gray color. Washer came right off it too, thinking just a washer would be sufficient going forward.
Yeah just a new washer and torque to 30nm

Why is it blue?

Because we can’t have it rusting an blue is what I had.

The other one is black because I had the preferred VHT black epoxy for that one. Neither is the original from the factory plug.

In the case of this particular car, if you look it up - it calls for the one with the captive washer (the blue one)

If you let the parts department give you what they want - the other one.

If someone can show me some sort of official VW bulletin reflecting the change I will shut up about it.

The other one is black because I had the preferred VHT black epoxy for that one. Neither is the original from the factory plug.

In the case of this particular car, if you look it up - it calls for the one with the captive washer (the blue one)

If someone can show me some sort of official VW bulletin reflecting the change I will shut up about it.
I was just curious; I thought maybe VW started painting them blue. I've been using an extractor for everything

Model? Engine code?

Edited to say it’s a 2019 Jetta so just engine code

Back