VW 9M/9G Transmission fluid ?

Hi,
I have a 2011 VW Tiguan with 100k miles on it. Never had a transmission fluid change (Drain/Refill). I am thinking about doing one this weekend. Has anyone used Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle (ATF) on 9M or 9G transmissions? Is there any other fluid you would recommend?

Thanks.

This question has been hashed over many times.The Aisin OE fluid cross references to T-IV. I ended up going to the Toyota dealer and buying T-IV and with a military discount paid about $5 a quart. I don't think this transmission is too picky and your choice is probably ok.

Originally Posted by JswFL
Hi,
I have a 2011 VW Tiguan with 100k miles on it. Never had a transmission fluid change (Drain/Refill). I am thinking about doing one this weekend. Has anyone used Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle (ATF) on 9M or 9G transmissions? Is there any other fluid you would recommend?

Thanks.

Toyota T-IV is right fluid.
Your transmission is Aisin made. Or you can go to VW and get it. Or get Valvoline Maxlife, or Pentosin, or Redline, or Amsoil or....

I've owned and fed a lot of transmissions running on T-IV for a quite a few years. My preferred source/price is to buy the real-deal original Mobil 3309 (which is what T-IV is) in six packs from Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-123062?rrec=true

It usually comes out to be $40 for 6 delivered, or $6.67/qt. MaxLife, while I find useful in many vehicles, is not the best substitute in T-IV/3309 spec'd transmissions.

I'm going tomorrow, in fact, to look at a 2008 passat with a 9G; if I buy it, it will immediately get a full swap of 3309 into it, after dropping the pan and cleaning all the solenoids, possibly replacing the pressure regulator valve as simple, smart preventive maintenance. This Aisin built transmission can go a long way. It is only limited by the very poorly designed (by VW) valve body.

Idemitsu makes a T-IV equivalent called "TLS" (NOT TLS-LV, that's a WS quivalent). It has also seemed a good option, I've used it and could not tell a difference with branded Mobil JWS3309 or T-IV.

Nothing wrong with Import Multi, but Valvoline's own Maxlife is more widely available and will probably cost less, too. Aisin/Toyota transmissions usually aren't picky
smile.gif

Thanks everyone. I did my first ATF drain and fill today. About 4 quart came out. I ended up using Valvoline MaxLife. It was only $18 at Walmart.

Back