VW 8 speed transmission fluid change

Fill the trans with what you measured, put the fill plug in, let it idle until it's at the specified temp, and pull the drain plug. If fluid runs out you're good.

IIRC he lives in Florida and he might be at checking temp immediately lol

It's not rocket surgery IMO. The Touareg is high enough that I don't even lift it.
My problem is that I don’t have a lift. Just Rhino ramps so it won’t be level.

I am curious as to why?
Maybe it’s better now; but last year when I helped my dad work on his car, we accidentally broke the coolant overflow line. He ordered it on ECS with like a few day shipping, and a week later, it still wasn’t even shipped yet. Customer service was terrible, and they wouldn’t do anything about the shipping, even if he paid extra. He just ended up ordering with FCP and got it the next day. I just buy anything on FCP or Amazon. If it’s cheaper on Amazon, I usually buy it due to free prime shipping. There are many more people online that have complained about it, too. Not just shipping wise

Just a drain and refill. Good practice to do frequent drain and fills IMO.
In cvts, that's the reason why they don't hold up is that people don't change the fluid enough. Lots of shear going on. I did try to change mine every 10 to 15,000 miles. I've been looking at a lot of brands that carry CVT transmission fluid and they've got a recommendation usually to change it every 20 to 25,000 MI. Fluid cheap transmissions not so especially in these crazy times.

In order to do the transmission fluid drain and fill on my Honda Pilot I went ahead and purchased a second set of Rhino Ramps Max 16000 lbs capacity to match the pair I already had. I found them on Amazon about 18 months ago for under $55.00 delivered free with Prime.

The four of them are easy to drive up on with the Pilot and results in a level vehicle. Well worth the extra cost to have that ability since the dealers want around $300.00 or more to drain and fill the ZF9 transmission with Honda 3.1 fluid. I got the fluid online from a Honda dealer and four quarts were around $100.00 shipped. Still under warranty so I didn't want to try MaxLife ATF or other non approved by Honda transmission fluids.

In order to do the transmission fluid drain and fill on my Honda Pilot I went ahead and purchased a second set of Rhino Ramps Max 16000 lbs capacity to match the pair I already had. I found them on Amazon about 18 months ago for under $55.00 delivered free with Prime.

The four of them are easy to drive up on with the Pilot and results in a level vehicle. Well worth the extra cost to have that ability since the dealers want around $300.00 or more to drain and fill the ZF9 transmission with Honda 3.1 fluid. I got the fluid online from a Honda dealer and four quarts were around $100.00 shipped. Still under warranty so I didn't want to try MaxLife ATF or other non approved by Honda transmission fluids.
How do you get it on 4 ramps?

Maybe it’s better now; but last year when I helped my dad work on his car, we accidentally broke the coolant overflow line. He ordered it on ECS with like a few day shipping, and a week later, it still wasn’t even shipped yet. Customer service was terrible, and they wouldn’t do anything about the shipping, even if he paid extra. He just ended up ordering with FCP and got it the next day. I just buy anything on FCP or Amazon. If it’s cheaper on Amazon, I usually buy it due to free prime shipping. There are many more people online that have complained about it, too. Not just shipping wise
Mine is way counter to that but everyone only judges a company when they screw up so I get that.

I ordered brake parts for the older Tiguan we had but never did them as we sold the car. The parts were in the box brand new and they took them back after like 6 months and gave me a full refund, not store credit either, an actual refund. I was as surprised and impressed but then I realized those brake parts don't really do bad so maybe it wasn't anything spectacular in terms of customer service.

I'd be more inclined to wait closer to 24-36K miles for the first D/F unless these ATs are a known problem. I would think the majority of any break-in debris would have done it's breaking in by then. 10K seems early to me, but again.. just an opinion. No data, no facts.. Just feelings. LOL.

Not every 20k...there is zero benefit and more potential harm.
I do a drain and fill on the Accord every year. Only 3 quarts drain out so essentially all fluid is replaced every 3-4 years. I would consider an entire fluid exchange every year excessive, but not a simple drain and fill.

I'd be more inclined to wait closer to 24-36K miles for the first D/F unless these ATs are a known problem. I would think the majority of any break-in debris would have done it's breaking in by then. 10K seems early to me, but again.. just an opinion. No data, no facts.. Just feelings. LOL.
That is all anyone can offer on this topic including myself, feelings that is. Many never change their vehicles transmission fluid and never have a problem. Having said that, many don’t change their engine oil but every 20k+ miles or whenever the “red oil light” comes on the dash (low oil pressure). Their engines still go 100k+ miles but you won’t see me following those practices just because it “worked” for someone else.

Not directing this at you in any way. I’m just throwing that scenario out there as many on this site are comfortable going 100k+ on transmission fluid but balk at the idea of extended OCI’s. I’d say both are poor maintenance practices. That is just my opinion, and that is ok. That is the beauty of freedom.

Drain and fill is not difficult, but definitely involved on these VW transmissions. You need the right tools which requires more investment than just wrenches.
1. Must have an oil pump and preferably one you can pressurize. This can be utilized for other tasks such as differentials and the Haldex clutch.
2. Need a port fill tool. I made a little jig using a 1/4“ plastic threaded part with a barb and tubing that fits the drain/fill port. The actual VAG port tool sticks down too much so you need to raise the car. Using the jig there is enough clearance under the Tiguan to do the work without putting it on ramps. Golfs and Jettas will likely need to be raised still.
3. Need to measure the ATF temperature. If you don’t have an ODB tool capable of reading the transmission temperature you can use an infrared thermometer.

I would drop the pan around 40K miles to replace the filter and clean the magnets in the pan.

How do you get it on 4 ramps?
Sorry, I was away and just saw this tonight. I put two ramps in front of the front tires and two ramps in front of the rear tires. I am then able to drive slowly up each ramp at the same pace and end up on top with no problems. The Honda Pilot has an excellent all wheel drive and it is easy to do. I have done the same thing however on my son's Buick Rendezvous when he owned it and that was a 2wd, no 4wd.

I do a drain and fill on the Accord every year. Only 3 quarts drain out so essentially all fluid is replaced every 3-4 years. I would consider an entire fluid exchange every year excessive, but not a simple drain and fill.
Does it have a dipstick?

Sorry, I was away and just saw this tonight. I put two ramps in front of the front tires and two ramps in front of the rear tires. I am then able to drive slowly up each ramp at the same pace and end up on top with no problems. The Honda Pilot has an excellent all wheel drive and it is easy to do. I have done the same thing however on my son's Buick Rendezvous when he owned it and that was a 2wd, no 4wd.
Oh, okay, that makes sense. Thank you

Did we ever figure out how much fluid needed for this?

I presume it works basically like the 6 speed trans in that it has a stand tube when the drain plug is removed?

Is 6 QTS enough?

I did a transmission fluid change on my Mercedes 7sp that had to be level. I made ramps out of cut and stacked 2x10 lumber. 3 steps was high enough, easy to drive up, safe, and pretty affordable. I hate driving up on regular ramps and I’m not a fan of putting both ends on stands if I can avoid it (I’m a nervous jacker). I had to make them long enough to drive up 2 steps, then get out and place the third step in order to clear the front bumper and rockers. Some people never change atf and have no problems but I’m not that lucky. I’m all for frequent changes if you can diy and the cost isn’t that high.

Back