VW 508.00 Does it really matter?

Yes, they are. The OEM makes this call, not the oil suppliers. Here's what it says in VW 508 00, section 1, Scope:

Engine oils as per this standard are service engine oils with a lower ash content. They meet the requirements to realize extended oil change intervals when used in the aforementioned Volkswagen Group engines. Due to their reduced HTHS viscosity, less energy is needed to pump them, they have exceptional fuel-saving properties and are distinguished by high thermal resistance, as well as optimized soot capacity. Due to their reduced HTHS viscosity, the engine oils described here are not backwards compatible and can be used only in specially approved engines (no universal engine oil).

The bold is not mine - this is how it is written in the specification document.

Ok, I stand corrected. However, it was a well known oil producer that states "May not provide adequate protection" when referring to use in engines not made to use 508 and the last sentence makes my case (not backwards compatible and can be used only in specially approved engines (no universal engine oil)).

Ok, I stand corrected. However, it was a well known oil producer that states "May not provide adequate protection" when referring to use in engines not made to use 508 and the last sentence makes my case (not backwards compatible and can be used only in specially approved engines (no universal engine oil)).
Fair enough, but the oil producer is only stating what the OEM is saying - it starts with the OEM. Historically, new specifications tended to be backwards-compatible so it is worth mentioning when they are not as people may have become used to backwards-compatibility as the norm.

It does not require higher PAO content. M1 0W-20 EP has more PAO content than any 508.00 oil except maybe Ravenol.
Yeah but in the USA M1 makes the VW 508 oil so it can't be that bad. Even the bottles look exactly the same minus color difference where the VW bottles are black instead of grey. If you do 5k mile OCI's which most VW owners do anyway? Just makes no sense at all not to buy the OEM VW oil especially at the price point.

It does not require higher PAO content. M1 0W-20 EP has more PAO content than any 508.00 oil except maybe Ravenol.
What's interesting is M1 makes the 508 oil for VW in the USA. With that said except for the dye in sure the oils are the same. Even the bottles are the same minus color difference. M1 is Grey bottle VW bottle is black. What's on the inside most likely use the same actual oil formula. Difference being one has dye one does not.

Back