VW 2016 Sportwagen S 5MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how old your kids are. When i put my recaro rear facing giant car seat in it, it takes up a lot of room. If your kids are all onto booster seats or no additional seats its probably ok. I would want something bigger for 3 kinds in one row but check one out at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
It's a vibrational damper. But yes, you would get more feel whitout, including vibrations.

huh? Sounds like you're talking about an engine or trans mount.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve

"Clutch delay valves operate as one-way restrictor valves that limit the volume of fluid that can move through the lines in a given time. This ensures a steady quick and firm engagement without being too fast for the drive train to handle since clutches can quickly disengage but re-engagement is damped. The clutch delay valve slows clutch engagement and was intended to reduce drivetrain shock in the event that an inexperienced driver quickly engaged the clutch at higher revs."

They protect the drivetrain from inexperienced drivers. They annoy the h*!! out of people who know how to operate a clutch.

Thanks for the link. I have wondered about taking that out for some time but haven't found a good write up.

Have you compared the on board mpg meter with hand calculated?

Most cars I've seen over-estimate the mpg. My aunt's 2013 TDI reads 2 mpg over.

So at least around 50 mpg is quite good. Better than what I got on a round trip in my previous 2004 TDI and her 2013 TDI. 42-44 mpg in both are the highest they've seen. DSG though.

Nice. I hit 53 for a tank once, but that was some slow driving. Still felt good.
grin.gif

I'd be stoked too! Good job.

I was pretty stoked when I got three tanks in a row at 21.7 on my truck--followed by what might have been 22. I thought that was impressive. No small amount of work though.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
This is downright fantastic! This vehicle has the same or even more room inside as some CUVs and SUVs. VW's 1.8TSI turns out to be one heck of an engine.

Yep, same cargo as a CX5. This wagon has the cargo capacity of my old Vue and nearly the mpg of my HX Civic, which is what sold me. Years ago I'd wanted a diesel CX5, but that never happened here.

Might get a loaded down road trip in soon - 4 people, filled hatch + skybox on top... I'll be interested in seeing how mpg and performance does (so far the engine is great - fingers crossed about long-term, though)

Yes we do get winters here in CA, usually a bit of driving required, though:
Mammoth last weekend

Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ are horrible in cold/snow. With cable chains it was passable.

On the hwy with chain control in effect (35mpg speed limit), we were getting passed by many SUVs/trucks/subarus that think AWD = drive in snow like its warm and dry. No one in CA realized that AWD/4x4 doesn't help you STOP or STEER in snow!
Despite chains and slow mountain driving at times, going from sea level to 9k feet and back resulted in tanks of 37.71 and 39.33 mpg. Those tires may suck at snow but they don't suck down gas! It helps to keep the snowboards in the car and not on the roof, when doing 74 on cruise up/down the 395.

Snow tires are always nice for a cold climate. Between the stock tires and the X-ICE 3 i have this year it is a HUGE difference in performance on dry wet snow ect. Its easy to get extra 5x112 wheels for these cars so anyone with a jack, a 17mm wrench, and a place to put 4 wheels can have winter tires and summer tires. I could drive around in snow on the stock tires but i have such higher performance with the right tire on.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Do you deal with enough snow to warrant snow tires? Or do the snow chains work well enough for the little snow you get?

Nah, we live near the beach and they clear the roads so quickly in the mountains that we rarely need to use chains, anyways. Feels like 2x every few years, is all.
$45 for them from Amazon and I'm set.

How's the MPG been? I saw further up you managed over 50mpg on a trip. Mine is still breaking in, but the computer states about 28mpg average through mixed (plenty of traffic) driving. Thats with the added weight of the 4motion.

"lifetime" average MPG of 36.9 so far, over 16k miles. EPA rated 25/36, so I'm pretty happy with that
laugh.gif

I do run 4-6+ psi over stock, with the 195 OEM Ecopia tires. Also I added some underbody aero panels that are available in Europe and/or on the Hybrid Jetta.

You will see a slight increase when the engine "loosens" up.

I also recommend the OBDeleven device if you like tweaking your car. A deal at $60, plus full code reader, etc.
Once I had a consistent MPG by 'hand', I was able to adjust the cars display to closer match reality (it was ~7% too high), just one of the many things you can "hack" with the device.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
"lifetime" average MPG of 36.9 so far, over 16k miles. EPA rated 25/36, so I'm pretty happy with that
laugh.gif

I do run 4-6+ psi over stock, with the 195 OEM Ecopia tires. Also I added some underbody aero panels that are available in Europe and/or on the Hybrid Jetta.

You will see a slight increase when the engine "loosens" up.

I also recommend the OBDeleven device if you like tweaking your car. A deal at $60, plus full code reader, etc.
Once I had a consistent MPG by 'hand', I was able to adjust the cars display to closer match reality (it was ~7% too high), just one of the many things you can "hack" with the device.

Thats some excellent MPG. I might have missed it, but what tune are you running? I'd love to get one, but sadly will be holding off until warranty is gone. What kind of oil/oci do you run with the added boost?

Mine is only rated for 22 city, 30 highway. I guess the drag of the awd and weight drops the rating quite a bit. Does amazon sell the OBDeleven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back