VW 2016 Sportwagen S 5MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MFD (mutli-function display) MPG #s on MK7 Golfs are VERY optimistic. I'd say around 8% or so, based on member's #s at VWvortex.

I only have 3 refills so far, so I'm still working out the accuracy -- especially since it is a filler neck that likes to shut off early and seems to require one top off to get anywhere near a normal fillup.

I did check my odometer vs phone GPS over a few drives and it was +0.6%, a close enough number I can live with.

My OEM tires are Ecopia 422 Plus - not sure if that's helping, but my (true) average so far is 36.74 MPG for the first 1k. Would love to see that go even higher after break-in.

I have the same Ecopia 422 Plus tires and they are very fuel efficient. The car gets dang good mileage if you ask me. I'm not worried about losing some economy for a sure footed, safer, funner, Sportwagonier ride.

Its been very wet today and the wet grip on these UHP tires is awesome. For my next set of tires i would like to go Pilot Sports, probably in 225 45 17, and if i feel rich i will buy some lighter aftermarket 17s. This nearly full tread depth used setup was only 400 bucks so im really pleased. I plan on selling the OE tires for like 200 or so to help pay for snow tires. I don't worry about the slightly higher cost of 17" tires since i use winter tires for part of the year so both sets last a very long time.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I did check my odometer vs phone GPS over a few drives and it was +0.6%, a close enough number I can live with.

Sorry for Off Topic question.

How do you check odometer with smart-phone GPS ? I like to do this but have no idea how. If there is a video to show step-by-step will be great. TIA.

WAGON DOWN: I got a check engine light P2681, took it to the dealer, they say the thermostat inside the secondary water pump is bad or something like that.

So i have to drive a '14 Tiguan this weekend instead of my Golf. It really makes me appreciate all the Golf offers over the older Tig. Way more space in the back, the radio is lightyears more advanced, seats feel better, ect.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Waitwaitwait...the SECONDARY water pump?!

Are you saying that because you don't think this model has a second one, or just out of general amazement?

My old BMW has two water pumps, plus both a mechanical and an electric cooling fan. With the Germans, if one is good then two are better.

"We'd put in three but we haven't found room for the third one yet."

Yeah its has an extra pump to circulate coolant around after you shut the car off. Cools that turbo, yo! The 1.8 TSI has some fairly complex cooling going on.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Waitwaitwait...the SECONDARY water pump?!

Are you saying that because you don't think this model has a second one, or just out of general amazement?

I am saying that there are some words that should never apply to a basic vehicle, and "secondary water pump" is on that list!

Quote:
My old BMW has two water pumps, plus both a mechanical and an electric cooling fan. With the Germans, if one is good then two are better.

"We'd put in three but we haven't found room for the third one yet."

Which is just ONE reason I have no interest in a German car.

Usually a secondary water pump is in the heater circuit to prevent the heat from getting weaker at idle when the engine driven pump is pushing less water. Some engine and heater circuit designs have an issue with that.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Usually a secondary water pump is in the heater circuit to prevent the heat from getting weaker at idle when the engine driven pump is pushing less water. Some engine and heater circuit designs have an issue with that.

That is pretty much what mine does, also providing warm water quicker to the heater core after startup.

Of course the aux pump is more expensive than the regular engine driven one, and has an equally expensive electrical distribution valve (and 4-5 special hoses).

As promised, better picture with the 17" wheel change, washed, and good sunlight.

Now that i'm using A/C my 70% city mileage is dropping to like 29.

This picture is what a sport wagon is supposed to look like. The previous picture the wheel well looked too large for the wheel and tire, also the car looked like a minivan.

This set of wheels is much better looking than OEM wheels. It really enhance the styling of the Sportwagen.

Very Nice !!!

Updates from either OP or Surfstar? I have my eyes on a 2016 Golf S (Non wagon)

Wonder how they are running for you and any new issues?

My wagon's doing great. Just rolled over 5k miles, i plan to do an oil change over to M1 0W40 this weekend. Doing oil only on the 5k and Oil Filter on the 10k marks, cause i can. The factory fill is still perfectly full, so no oil use yet. Our Accord burned some oil from day 1 to about 30k miles.

I would get the wagon, there is little reason why not to. The weight isn't even much more. Having that extra space is so nice.

My GSW update: 7200 + miles, average 36.8 MPG (37.7 since 5k miles, when I also added OEM euro underbody panels for aero).
One CEL (3500mi) for a secondary air pump, that only came on at elevation (7k'+) on two different mountain trips. Last trip over 10k it didn't come on. I cleared it myself and didn't both taking it in, as they would have done the same and said "come back if it comes on again".
Only complaint: Clutch Delay Valve: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4169045/Oil_Interval_Mountain_Driving_
Hoping to look into removing the CDV sometime soon.

Its been a great camping car, hauling all our gear, yet still getting stellar MPG up and down hills, in 100* heat, etc.

Fun facts:
Stock 1.8T (auto) engine dyno'd at 185 HP 224 TQ on 93 octane (VW rates them as 170/200 stock)
Stage 1 APR tune: 225 / 286

Not too shabby!
vortex thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8108201-Golf-1-8T-Auto-APR-Stage-1-Dyno

I feel like the tall gearing on my 5MT and the fact that its supposed to be limited to 184 TQ stock, makes it feel not quite as strong as those above numbers. I have been running 91 for a few tanks, but can't really tell a difference in power, etc vs 87.

I usually don't have an open opportunity to go full WOT in first gear (with oil warmed up and no one in front of me), but when I do, it [first] goes by real quick, though! And if the road isn't smooth enough, it'll trigger traction control. I usually get to do 2 gear WOT pulls when getting up to freeway speeds, and those are fun.

I think this car is so perfect for my wife her commute and love of manual wagons. Would 3 kids fit across back seat for local trips?

Our other vehicle (SUV) is suited for longer trips for family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back