VW 2016 Sportwagen S 5MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Then it showed 130, about 7 mins in, mixed driving. 216 peak, on a 20min / 10mi spin.

That's gotta be a VAG thing. Wife's q5 doesn't register oil temp until it hits 140F. Always wondered why.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Then it showed 130, about 7 mins in, mixed driving. 216 peak, on a 20min / 10mi spin.

That's gotta be a VAG thing. Wife's q5 doesn't register oil temp until it hits 140F. Always wondered why.

For comparison my subaru starts showing oil temp around 88F
but has no water temp reading/no gauge.. you would think they would put it in the optional gauges on the MFD, but no.
at least they put in oil temp.

congrats on the new ride! I think they may still have the '15 there, because they keep calling me.. I'm back in Seattle for now (kinda splitting time between there and here) so I'm able to drive my A3 again.

It's weird, the cargo capacity looks good on paper, but in looking at the interior space in person it doesn't seem much bigger than my A3. The Sportwagen probably makes more sense for me, so it's tempting--but I may just hang onto the A3 instead.

I love the gearing on the Sportwagen though. It much be nice to be cruising on the highway at 75mph and not be reaching for another gear.

I can really only consider this car in the 2015. I'd swap the head unit anyway, but there's way too much dog hair flying around to deal with cloth interior.

Grats on the blue wagon Surfstar! I wish i would have gotten a blue or white one. The tungsten silver is kinda boring. I love the wagon so much i sold my forever 99.5 tdi. The fuel economy is so close that can finally let the TDI belong to someone else.

5 months in i would buy this car again.

The saga continues with a wheel upgrade:
17s from an audi, 235 45 17 geforce sport tires, fits perfectly and was cheap. Now i can put all of 1st gear power to the ground without wheel spin. I now think of it as the poor mans Avant.

Nice set of wheels, simple and and easy to clean.

Tire size 235/45-17 is OEM size of my 2000 E430. The 45 series tire is just right, low profile for good performance/handling but not too low for good firm ride and absorb bumps well.

That looks taller than any of the Golf / Jetta wagons I've seen. And those tires aren't particularly short relative to what they come with either.

195 65 15 to 235 45 17 is only:

24.98 (634.5) 25.33 (643.3) 0.35 (8.8) 1.4% taller

I would probably go for a 1" lift kit if they come out for this application. I love ground clearance on daily drivers.

Originally Posted By: dareo

I would probably go for a 1" lift kit if they come out for this application. I love ground clearance on daily drivers.

Somehow it does not look that jacked up in your original photo with the 15s on. Maybe it's just an angle or optical illusion that sometimes comes into play when you have more rim and less tire.

Is that your old E39 in the background?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Tire size 235/45-17 is OEM size of my 2000 E430. The 45 series tire is just right, low profile for good performance/handling but not too low for good firm ride and absorb bumps well.

Agreed. 235/45/17 is a great size. Tire selection is huge, and you can easily find a tire with the desired set of characteristics based on your requirements.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Somehow it does not look that jacked up in your original photo with the 15s on. Maybe it's just an angle or optical illusion that sometimes comes into play when you have more rim and less tire.

Is that your old E39 in the background?

Maybe he just swapped them on and the car is sitting funny after coming off the jack? I find if you lower the car down slowly the tires won't scrub sideways from full droop and it will sit higher than normal.
Or the wheels are that much lighter!
grin.gif

The pic was taken right after we torqued the bolts and put the caps on. I will have to take another pic on flat ground.

The 17s are quite a bit heavier and they are affecting my gas mileage. I think i'm losing at least 3 mpg but hard to say since i'm really hitting the gas hard with these sport tires.

That E39 belongs to my friend who also owns my 540 wagon, that silver one is just a beater 528 he picked up for a song.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Maybe he just swapped them on and the car is sitting funny after coming off the jack? I find if you lower the car down slowly the tires won't scrub sideways from full droop and it will sit higher than normal.

Yes, I thought about that, too. Quite possible.

Mod time! Sweet.

I had the time to wax mine last week and got the windows tinted. Light tint with Llumar films. CTX 30 rear, Air Blue 80 for front. Love that the UV and heat is blocked now! Want to protect my interior.
Post tint photo

I also picked up an OBDeleven - its a bluetooth, poor-mans versions, of VAG-COM/VCDS.
I was able to change a few things, easily. So far: added windows up/down from FOB, show refuel quantity (gallons consumed since fill-up), comfort blink (tap for lane change) 5 from 3 blinks.
Lots to research and play with still.

I also added some longer front seat bolts and washers. Seat was too flat and would only tilt a little at the bottom of the height adjustment range. My thighs had no support previously.

I like my cheap replacement tire size too much to upgrade my wheels. It would look and handle better, but I also enjoy the mpg benefits!

The pic was taken right after we torqued the bolts and put the caps on. I will have to take another pic on flat ground.

The 17s are quite a bit heavier and they are affecting my gas mileage. I think i'm losing at least 3 mpg but hard to say since i'm really hitting the gas hard with these sport tires.

That E39 belongs to my friend who also owns my 540 wagon, that silver one is just a beater 528 he picked up for a song.

Do you still have OEM wheel/tire combo ?

When you do tire rotation in about 4-5k miles, just try the old wheel/tire for a day or two then you will see how much better the 17" wheel/tire compares with 15",

The stock wheels are getting snow tires. I like dedicated winter and pure summer tires on their own wheels. The stock setup is quiet, light and responsive, but not really enough traction to give her all shes got. The chassis and engine really deserve good tires. Im talking about grip for days, very fast cornering capability, shorter braking distance, all worth a bit of mpg loss at only $2 a gallon.

The reason I asked about stock wheel and tire was I tried to convince you that the 17" wheel and tire would give your Golf Wagon a much better performance/handling for every driving condition but snow, such that it worth losing 2-3 MPG.

For other easy riding cars such as Camry, 235/45-17 tire isn't a good match, but it is for your Wagon.

the 235/45 profile may be throwing the MPG calculator on the car off, aside from running a more affordable summer tire, from the Michelin value-brand.

Technically 225/45 is the correct size for your car.

(yes, there are LRR UHP Summer tires.... Nokian makes some for instance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back