VW 2.0T FSI Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago, my friend finally brought his car to campus. He drives a 2007 VW GTI 6MT.

After reading about all of the oil issues with this engine, out of curiosity, I decided to check the oil on his car.

To provide some background, the car received an oil change at the 5,000 and 10,000 mile marks. Both oil changes were done with Castrol Syntec 5w-40 at the dealer. The car has nearly 19,000 miles on it, so the current fill has about 9,000 miles. This fill will be changed in around 1000 miles when the car goes in for its 20,000 mile service.

I checked the oil and found it to be at the minimum mark. The car has been sitting for two days, so the oil level is probably lower than it read. The oil condition was surprisingly good-- it was a medium brown color. I was expecting it to burnt (black) considering the amount of miles on this fill and how hard the car is driven.

I'll probably top it off tomorrow with Mobil 1 0w-40.

Questions:

1. What is the typical oil consumption for VW 2.0T FSI motors?

2. Does oil consumption get worse as the engine accumulates more miles? I heard that these engines have deposit issues. I wonder if oil consumption will slowly increase overtime as more deposits build up.

3. Is oil consumption less with certain 502.00 approved oils?

Thanks!

Instead of wasting expensive top-up oil that will get dumped soon, I'd just change the oil slightly early. We're only talking 1k miles....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Instead of wasting expensive top-up oil that will get dumped soon, I'd just change the oil slightly early. We're only talking 1k miles....

Have you done the math on that? Maybe I don't understand what you mean but it doesn't make sense to me.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
the car received an oil change at the 5,000 and 10,000 mile marks.

Great!

the current fill has about 9,000 miles.

Not great.
frown.gif
The 40 UOA database shows most (all?) oils are pretty much worn out in this engine by 5k. Adeere's 99% highway runs are the exception to that. But check the data to make your own conclusion. It would be great if U could get a UOA on this oil before you top off with M1.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1434379#Post1434379

I checked the oil and found it to be at the minimum mark.

How much oil was added in the 9000 miles? If no oil was added I would say this engine is not consuming an abnormal amount at all (again check UOA database to see make up oil but keep in mind many of those are for the same engine (check username in top row to differentiate)).

Refer to UOA database make up oil row. Anywhere from zero to 5 quarts per 5000 miles is what I have seen on forums. There has been speculation that break in method may impact this but never anything definitive.

2. Does oil consumption get worse as the engine accumulates more miles? I heard that these engines have deposit issues. I wonder if oil consumption will slowly increase overtime as more deposits build up.

Possibly. Intake valve deposits affect many things. Refer to RLI_RS4's post on intake valve deposits to find out more as there is tons of info. in there. Especially the post containing info. about the VW patent. FWIW the huge oil burners that I have seen photos of had both bad ring and valve deposits.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1325647#Post1325647

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...263#Post1414263

Several owners have reported dramatic changes when switching oil type. I won't get into the pros and cons of 502 specific oils, or of specific oil types, but there are lots of reports of oil consumption changes when changing oil type on this engine.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I decided to top it off with Syntec 5w-40 as I was able to purchase it from the dealership for only $7/qt as opposed to the $8/qt for Mobil 1 0w-40. And yes, over the course of 9,000 miles, there has not been any oil added. I will add the oil soon and see how much was actually consumed.

Also, I was at the dealer today and the VW area rep was there. He used to be on the engineering staff at VW. He said 10k was fine for synthetic oil. I did get his business card, so perhaps I'll follow-up with more questions.

He said 10k was fine for synthetic oil.

So it says in the manual. Wonder if marketing had anything to do with that?
wink.gif
Or maybe the fact that VW pays for maintenance in the first 36k miles?
wink.gif
wink.gif

Take a look at the UOA data and see if you think the oil can hold up that long with the fuel dilution of this engine. I don't think it can (the 99% highway runs are an exception of course).

Originally Posted By: saaber1
He said 10k was fine for synthetic oil.

So it says in the manual. Wonder if marketing had anything to do with that?
wink.gif
Or maybe the fact that VW pays for maintenance in the first 36k miles?
wink.gif
wink.gif

Take a look at the UOA data and see if you think the oil can hold up that long with the fuel dilution of this engine. I don't think it can (the 99% highway runs are an exception of course).

The 06-08 models didn't come with free maintenance and the service intervals were the same.

I asked him if 10k was too long, and he basically said that they did some very extended drains with an approved oil on a VW engine and upon teardown at 150k, there was minimal wear.

UPDATE:

The dealer performed a 20k service at approx. 20,500 miles. As part of the service, an oil change was done with Castrol Syntec 5w-40.

I just checked the oil again yesterday. The current mileage is approx. 25,700. There was NO oil registering on the stick!

After dumping a quart of Syntec 5w-40 into the crankcase, the oil level now registers about 1/2 way in-between the MIN and MAX marks. I am not familiar with VWs, but I am assuming that means the engine was about 1.5 qt low before the oil addition.

So, the oil consumption suddenly increased from 1 qt every 9k to about 1 qt every 3500 miles. What changes, if any, should be made to the maintenance habits and the oil type?

Thanks.

Of course you checked the oil immediately after the oil change ?
Dealerships have been known to screw up oil changes .

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What is a 20k service?

Replace engine oil/filter, rotate tires, replace cabin air filter, perform brake fluid flush, inspect suspension, brakes, tires and fluid levels.

Originally Posted By: bruno
Of course you checked the oil immediately after the oil change ?
Dealerships have been known to screw up oil changes .

I checked the oil after the oil change and it was at the full mark.

Did an oil change tonight with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 and a Fram cartridge filter. Also put in 1 bottle of Redline SI-1. The car runs super smooth now.

I'll watch the oil consumption closely to see if it's any different with Mobil 1.

I have 70k in my 2.0T and no oil consumption issues since I changed to the RLI Byosyn 05-40HD. With Castrol Syntec I used about 1/2 quart per 5k miles. I would not go beyond 4k OCI with any oil. I am experimenting with a 7500 mile OCI with the RLI right now. The oil is getting sent for analysis this coming weekend.

I drove around 9000 mile between 2006 to 2008 with the Passat 2.0 FSI and my experience is as follows:

Answer: About 1 Qrt per 6250 mile

Answer: No, it was same under whole period i drove VW Passat

Answer: No idea, I used only Castrol SLX 5W-30

Last edited:
Hi,
Karl - Interesting. I drove an Avis rental with this engine in it (6 spd) for around 3k kms in Germany in May. Most was of course on Autobahns (much at around 200kmh), some on the Nirburgring's Nordschleife (very high revs) and the rest in cities/towns and on "urban" roads.

The car had 19k kms on it at collection and the oil consumption was zero!

The oil was an VW Approved product as per the Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back