VR1 SAE 60

What's the oil capacity on that 460? (internet says 6qts, but idk for sure, so school me) I wouldn't use that SAE60 for full oil capacity, but I'd definitely substitute a quart of it with normal oil change. Ideally 5qts of Valvoline VR1 10W30 plus 1qt of Valvoline VR1 SAE60. Should be a healthy summer blend for that big boy. I don't see a problem of mixing 5qt of M1 5W50 with 1qt VR1 SAE60 either, but I think the VR1+VR1 combo just will have a more similar chemistry.

P.S. I'll give you $15 for the 6qts of VR1 SAE60, if you got no use for it 😉 I'll mix it with some RedLine Racing 50WT and pour it in a Prius :LOL:
Thank you for the idea! The VR110w-30 actually comes in Full Synthetic. VR1 SAE 60 does not unfortunately…. But mixing the 5w-50 with the SAE 60 actually sounds like a great idea for the middle of summer! Thank you sir :)
Yes, the 460 is 6qts, I usually put oil and 1 quart of Lucas Pure Synthetic in my vehicles (Solstice GXP, Avalanche and Jeep Liberty) Anyone use the Lucas?

Lol 😂 no deal

Dragsters use that stuff and change out after the run or burn off excess fuel in a kettle. Not even a Big Bore Single would use that heavy. 50 at the most, but usually a straight 40 in Enduro’s.
Yep I inherited 14 quarts of SM rated Napa 40 SAE. From dead Nanna last month, plan on using it in the 350 EXC-f. I honestly don't know what the heck Nanna was doing with all that mono-grade 40 wt.

Use it as an additive with the 5W-50; it will work great to maintain viscosity; the 5W-50 will shear down fast.
When you say shear, you mean it will become a 40 or 30 and will burn oil with blow by/ PCV?

And why does 5w-50 shear fast? Is it because of the wide spread where they need to put in a lot more VII?

Last question, on the VOA sheet, is it the HTHS numbers that tells you about the Shearing of the oil?

It won't necessarily shear down fast, i've seen many uoa's with for example Mobil 1 5w50 and it didn't shear down much even with extended intervals.
The one exception seems to be Motorcraft 5W-50, which from the uoa's i've seen does seem to shear down fast.
Thanks man.

On the UOA sheet, what numbers do you look at for Shearing Durability?

Attachments

• 5E35F5FE-784F-4DA7-9D97-D74EB7819DDF.jpeg
    5E35F5FE-784F-4DA7-9D97-D74EB7819DDF.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 20
Back