VR1 20W50 Conventional 2020 Street Glide M8 107 1.5K

Saw two posts from the same member where the VR1 sheared @ 1500 in his M8. I have been wanting to run this oil in mine so I did the same mileage and sent the sample out. Happy to see that the oil did not shear. Will run the full 3K and send out again. Bike has Stage 2 ( cam, intake, exhaust, tune) and rode hard, during the 1500 mile run. Temps were in the high 70's, high 80's and a stretch of 90 degree days. A lot of 55-65 mph country roads with very little stop-and-go. I did put an oil cooler fan on this year prepping for group and parade rides. Very pleased with the 1500 mile results after seeing the two not so good UOAs of the other member's M8. I know this oil shined in twin cam and earlier engines, hopefully it works just as well in mine. Hope this UOA helps others. Thanks.

IMG_3363.jpeg

Last edited:
Apologize, still working on how to get a clearer image of the UOA since we can't upload PDFs.

Are you running the synthetic version of VR1? If not I would consider that version over the conventional VR1.

I run Mobil 1 V-Twin or Redline in my TC88 (softail Deuce) and TC96 (Ultra Classic) bikes and they have proven to me to do the job well.

I know this oil shined in twin cam and earlier engines
I’ve ran the Vr1 20 w50 conventional in 2 Harley TC engines. A 96 inch Superglide and a 110 inch CVO Streetglide. The Superglide just rolled over 50,000 miles with zero problems, sold the Streetglide and it was running great when I sold it at 33,000 miles. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work as well for your M8. 🏍️

IMG_0740.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you running the synthetic version of VR1? If not I would consider that version over the conventional VR1.

I run Mobil 1 V-Twin or Redline in my TC88 (softail Deuce) and TC96 (Ultra Classic) bikes and they have proven to me to do the job well.
I did try the Synthetic VR1 and top end was noisy in the heat just like Amsoil. Mobil 1 has been pretty quiet, and the conventional VR1 has been silent. Im not running stock exhaust either…lol. Ran Mobil 1 for a long time with no issues, although it can get somewhat noisy in the 100 degree temps. I know it’s not necessarily cause for concern, I just don’t care for the clatter. We’ll see how the VR1 does @ 3k before I make my decision. Thanks for the post/suggestion.

I did try the Synthetic VR1 and top end was noisy in the heat just like Amsoil. Mobil 1 has been pretty quiet, and the conventional VR1 has been silent. Im not running stock exhaust either…lol. Ran Mobil 1 for a long time with no issues, although it can get somewhat noisy in the 100 degree temps. I know it’s not necessarily cause for concern, I just don’t care for the clatter. We’ll see how the VR1 does @ 3k before I make my decision. Thanks for the post/suggestion.
Good information there. My only concern (and personal opinion) is that a syn will (ok in theory lol) protect better in all aspects-especially heat- then a conventional. You are going about it the right way with data driven answers (uoa) so I can't argue with that! lol Also looks like gman2304 has already built a solid case for conventional VR1 in his own bikes - that is great testimony there!

Believe me, I share your concern with synthetics & heat especially how the m8s use oil to cool the heads and areas near exhaust valves. I’ve run synthetics for decades now in everything I own but am starting to notice a shift (albeit subtle) towards conventional on M8’s. We’ll see.

I don’t know why Blackstone says 15.96 is correct for a 50 grade oil. It isn’t. A 50 grade oil has a range of 16.30-21.89. A 40 grade oil has a range of 12.50-16.29. According to the Valvoline website, the VR-1 20W-50 starts out at 20. So the oil has sheared.

I have a 2018 Tri Glide with the 107 M8 engine. I had been running the same VR1 20W-50 but I drained it out after see the “other guy’s” UOA’s of shearing. Seeing that yours has also sheared I’m glad I did. I’m currently using Mobil 1 15W-50. I plan on running it for 4K and then send a sample off to see how it does.

VR-1 data info.

oh interesting post. I just used this oil, conventional as well, in my BMW RNinet. Seems solid so far. I too plan on sending out a sample for testing.

I always used the Valvoline syn v-twin 20-50 in my 103. It was cheaper than Mobil 1 and the top end seemed quieter. Sounded like a well lubed sewing machine on the highway which to me was normal.

I don’t know why Blackstone says 15.96 is correct for a 50 grade oil. It isn’t. A 50 grade oil has a range of 16.30-21.89. A 40 grade oil has a range of 12.50-16.29. According to the Valvoline website, the VR-1 20W-50 starts out at 20. So the oil has sheared.

I have a 2018 Tri Glide with the 107 M8 engine. I had been running the same VR1 20W-50 but I drained it out after see the “other guy’s” UOA’s of shearing. Seeing that yours has also sheared I’m glad I did. I’m currently using Mobil 1 15W-50. I plan on running it for 4K and then send a sample off to see how it does.

VR-1 data info.

D@mn, you’re right and thanks for pointing that out.
I just went solely off of B-stone’s viscosity specs in the UOA report. Found an old article on why their 50w specs may not align:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/trying-to-understand-sus-cst-viscosity.232606/

Last edited:
I’ve ran the Vr1 20 w50 conventional in 2 Harley TC engines. A 96 inch Superglide and a 110 inch CVO Streetglide. The Superglide just rolled over 50,000 miles with zero problems, sold the Streetglide and it was running great when I sold it at 33,000 miles. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work as well for your M8. 🏍️

View attachment 221509
Love the bikes, beautiful!

For the increased level of protection the synthetic provides.
Would that be for OCI or what? Can you elaborate? I there really a difference in mineral \ semi synthetic as far as wear protection?

Would that be for OCI or what? Can you elaborate? I there really a difference in mineral \ semi synthetic as far as wear protection?
Better heat protection, better low temp protection (not important in motorcycle of course) and longer OCI is possible. I will go search for the specs between the two VR4's and try to give some better understanding of what I meant. It is a common fact that a Syn will outperform a conventional - do you actually need the extra margin? Are you not as well protected for normal OCI? All debatable of course - but I will choose Syn 100% of the time over a conventional and the price difference is so small it can be an easy choice anyhow.

Better heat protection, better low temp protection (not important in motorcycle of course) and longer OCI is possible. I will go search for the specs between the two VR4's and try to give some better understanding of what I meant. It is a common fact that a Syn will outperform a conventional - do you actually need the extra margin? Are you not as well protected for normal OCI? All debatable of course - but I will choose Syn 100% of the time over a conventional and the price difference is so small it can be an easy choice anyhow.
In the case of VR1, and short 3000 oci I do not see any advantage. But I am not a tribologist or expert. However, I do know for 100% fact that mineral VR1 is used in many Nascar teams, I would say that 600 miles at near full load and full throttle is pretty substantial.

I would be interested in some info about it in comparison to conventional VR1. I have done VOA on both and saw nearly no change in composition, at least for what they test for.

I had some hardweld cams made by WebCams a few years ago. I sent them some cores that were pitted badly. They measured them, then hard welded and ground them back to the same profile. Their advice was change oil every 3000 miles and go with conventional. They were very high on fresh oil being the best oil. Their main audience is high performance and racing, so most of those customers change oil very frequently anyway. I have failed to see any oil in my motorcycle whether a 2500 mile OCI or a 5000 oci give better or worse extrapolated wear numbers either way. Puts less oil back in the environment and less oil changes with a good synthetic that resists shearing.

In the case of VR1, and short 3000 oci I do not see any advantage. But I am not a tribologist or expert. However, I do know for 100% fact that mineral VR1 is used in many Nascar teams, I would say that 600 miles at near full load and full throttle is pretty substantial.

I would be interested in some info about it in comparison to conventional VR1. I have done VOA on both and saw nearly no change in composition, at least for what they test for.
I agree with you - nothing wrong with the base VR1 and it will provide good protection. The SYN formula is even better - but I can see the point 100% is it really needed? Is it a must to upgrade? That is the main question - I just prefer full SYN for all my uses. I will add too that the full SYN "should" leave less deposits as well over time so long term engine life might be a small difference. But I don't know lol This has been good conversation for sure! I could not find any info that Nascar uses VR1 but most seem to use Mobil 1. I was just curious and wanted to know and what formula they use.

Last edited:
Back