VQ35DD and BLACK engine oil.

On the last 4K OCI before I sold my Pathfinder, I switched to 5W30 and the oil did not get black. It was dark but not black like it was with 0W20 after only 2K.

Yep. I've been using synthetic 5w30 on mine since it's first OCI and will stick with it. I've read of 4 severe sludging issues now on the VQ35DD and at disturbing low mileage with record of oil changes!

My 2019 Infiniti Qx60 has 53,000km (former rental) of which 6,200 is from me since late July, I have a hard time getting a solid oil dipstick reading with the VQ35DD, but I don't see any darkness of the Pennzoil platinum 0w20 that I put in on day 2 of my ownership.

Yep. I've been using synthetic 5w30 on mine since it's first OCI and will stick with it. I've read of 4 severe sludging issues now on the VQ35DD and at disturbing low mileage with record of oil changes!
I just picked up 2017 pathfinder VQ35DD OEM says 0-20 but i wanna use 5-30 either blend or full synthetic. Any advice you can give me that would advice me other wise?

Reactions: JTK
I just picked up 2017 pathfinder VQ35DD OEM says 0-20 but i wanna use 5-30 either blend or full synthetic. Any advice you can give me that would advice me other wise?
Having chatted with a Nissan tech on another board on this VQ35DD thing, they may have stumbled upon the smoking gun in terms of the VQ35DDs they've found choked with sludge.

The PCV valve hose was found to be squishy, deformed or collapsed in some way on the sludged engines. As soon as you can, I would check this hose on your 2017.
Standing in front of the vehicle with the hood up, reach around the rear left corner of the engine (rear valve cover, left side). Feel for the PCV valve threaded into the cam cover. It threads in with a hex. You can trace it's hose where it routes and bends to where it connects to a stub on the intake manifold.

If you feel any soft spots, deformities on this hose, replace it. May as well replace the PCV valve while you're at it.

For engine oil/filters, I've been running various low cost 5w30 synthetic and low cost filters and changing them every 3500mi. Currently have ~83K on it.

Having chatted with a Nissan tech on another board on this VQ35DD thing, they may have stumbled upon the smoking gun in terms of the VQ35DDs they've found choked with sludge.

The PCV valve hose was found to be squishy, deformed or collapsed in some way on the sludged engines. As soon as you can, I would check this hose on your 2017.
Standing in front of the vehicle with the hood up, reach around the rear left corner of the engine (rear valve cover, left side). Feel for the PCV valve threaded into the cam cover. It threads in with a hex. You can trace it's hose where it routes and bends to where it connects to a stub on the intake manifold.

If you feel any soft spots, deformities on this hose, replace it. May as well replace the PCV valve while you're at it.

For engine oil/filters, I've been running various low cost 5w30 synthetic and low cost filters and changing them every 3500mi. Currently have ~83K on it.
wow thanks for the heads up on the PCV and hose issue, I'll check on soon, and get some max life 5w-30 for the next oil change

Reactions: JTK
Back