Weirdness when checking oil on dipstick, but all better now.

I traded in my 2013 Maxima on a ex-daily rental 2019 Infiniti QX60 last July. The selling dealer did a pre-delivery oil change with semi-synthetic 0W20 of unknown brand, and a Fram PH6607 - no matter because I changed out the oil and filter within 150km to my choice of Penn Plat 0W20 and a Wix 51358XP filter - to establish my baseline of maintenance. What I noticed afterwards was that when checking the dipstick, it was hard to get a conclusive reading, the oil that clung to the dipstick was all over the place, one side was spotty, the other side smeared. I didn't take any photos, sorry.

I have driven the QX60 about 6500 km so I changed out the oil and filter last week, Penn Plat 0W20 and Wix 51358XP filter again. Since then, the dipstick is much easier to read, the oil line is solid and all the spottiness is gone. Another observation not related to the reading of the dipstick; The QX60 has the direct injected VQ35DD engine the oil stays pretty clean / light color - in contrast to other owners with this engine experiencing quick darkening after OC.

If all oils, regardless of brand, semi synthetic or otherwise are fully miscible, what might explain the easier dipstick reading now after clearing out the old oil?
Thanks,
Ken

I know it's frustrating, my Buick is like that but only when I check it like the manual says to, a few minutes after shutting off the engine which means I have to pull it, wipe it off, stick it back in and pull it. I just started checking it in the morning so I can get a good read on it.

As far as why it's easier for you now than before would just be a guess but maybe they really didn't change the oil when they said they did, maybe it was way older.

I have a similar issue on my car , and it uses 0-20w oil too. My easiest oil check is in the morning after the car has set all night. The oil on the stick shows up better.

I had same trouble with 5w20 in my RX8. It's very easy to read with the 0w40 Mobil 1 it craves.

Back