Volvo S60 trunk access - assistance needed

Hello Volvo fans,

So my father has purchased a mid 2000's S60 which now needs the battery replaced.
The problem is, the seller (a used car lot that's since gone out of business) only sold the car to him with a single key...the service key.
My father's in his 70's and hasn't owned a Volvo since the early 80s, back when all you needed was a locksmith to cut you a key, and you'd be set!

As many Canadians are aware, recently the prairie provinces have been pelted with far less than normal temps and his battery now needs replacement.
My father has attempted to charge the S60's battery using the boost points under the hood near the fuse box, but this obviously proved useless as the car refuses to start....even after 4 days on the charger. For one reason or another, the rear button to open the trunk lid has also broken or become inoperable with time.

Using the service key, he's unable to open the trunk lid to access the battery. We've contacted the closest Volvo dealership (a 2 hour drive away) and they advised him the only way to gain access is with the proper master key (and VIDA to pair it to the car). Since this is not an option, is there another way to open the trunk to get access to the battery? I know the rear seatback release points are in the trunk, so accessing them is quite a challenge as well. He's spoken to many non-Volvo repair shops who informed him that his only option would be to break into the trunk to access and replace the battery. Obviously this poses it's own problems as who knows if the trunk lid will be able to close again. Yes, this is the prairies, where everyone resorts to redneck solutions, or at least the "mechanics" my father chooses to deal with.

Any insight/advise is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Other than breaking in, what you could try is to put the car in a heated garage, get the battery warm. Then use a high-amp charger to overcome the resistance in the long cabling run. This should allow you to charge the battery via the remote post (should).

Some locksmiths will have the necessary Volvo subscription service to let them cut and program a remote key, usually about a US$125 service around here - better than the dealership. Even if you have a VIDA unit, you still need a remote digital subscription to alter the keys.

i would see how easy it is to take the rear seat out. then if there is space crawl into the truck and manually open it

Try the trunk release button while high amp charger is connected?

Edit: maybe jumper cables would be even better.

Is there a mechanical issue that's preventing the engine from starting, other than the dead battery?

Why not hook up a set of jumper cables to another car, and then start the car that way? Instead of hoping that a dead battery can be revived enough to permit a successful start?

I remember getting a replacement key for my old Volvo. The parts guy looked up the key code in a binder, which he used to set up a punch machine which cut the blank.

If specific boost points are under hood and the car does not start it won't likely start with battery fix.

Can you ask a local lock smith to make a key copy not paired to vehicle if a manual lock exists on trunk? It is irrelevant if the key starts the car just that it opens truck for you. The dealer is fixed on getting you a whole key.

Not a VW but we lost a key which we paid one fee to have key cut by VW parts somewhere. We could have taken possession of key at that point. Then the dealer had to reprogram keys to work with car. However the key itself could open the door without programming.

I must agree with those who say use a strong battery to jump
Go over to www.matthewsvolvosite.com and do a search. Super helpful people there.

edit: I did a quick search and learned there may be a "valet button" on the bottom strip of buttons (ahead of the gear lever). The depiction is of a key pointing to an open trunk lid. It was called, the "only the key can open the trunk button", which tells the story.
You must get some juice to that vehicle, stick the key into the ignition and turn the car ON and then make sure the 'valet button' is off.

Last edited:
Lower the rear center armrest. Use a hook on a pole to grab the glow in the dark emergency handle. Failing that, why can't you put a jump box on the underhood remote battery posts and press the trunk release button inside?

Former 2006 S60 owner here. Just pull down the rear seats, crawl into the trunk and pull down on the emergency release to open the trunk.

If it doesn't charge it may be that the battery is so sulphated that it cannot be charged . I'd try a smart charger that desulphate and then charges the battery, this may succeed.

Thanks for the replies so far. The issue isn't being able to start the car...he can get anyone to give him a boost and he'd be on his way.
The issue is getting access to the battery, so it can be replaced.
I've indicated the only way he's going to get access is thru the ski pass thru, where he can then pull the emergency release handle. Someone on the Volvo sites recommended using a coat hanger to pull it
Former 2006 S60 owner here. Just pull down the rear seats, crawl into the trunk and pull down on the emergency release to open the trunk.
As a former S60 owner, you should recall the latches to release the rear seats is located in the trunk...one on either side

Last edited:
Volvo dealer should be able to cut a master keyblade from the VIN. Maybe even a local locksmith. Are you saying your father never was in the trunk since he got the car?

Volvo dealer should be able to cut a master keyblade from the VIN. Maybe even a local locksmith. Are you saying your father never was in the trunk since he got the car?
As I mentioned above the only Volvo dealer in the province is a 2 hour drive away, and he moans and complains at the cost and issues of getting the car to the dealership so they can not only cut the key for the car, but they also need to pair the key with car's software using Vida.

He was able to get access when he first got the car, but since then it was a real issue getting access.
The local AAA/CAA tow truck operator who assisted my father instructed him to never use the trunk again, as it's obviously not working properly.

Honestly, I think this thing was a repo'd car that my parents got at a steep discount.
It also explains the indications of a general lack of maintenance/abuse that's become apparent with time.
I strongly advised them against purchasing that car. Not because it's a Volvo, but because if/when you have an issue, it's a real pain in the butt to service/maintain with a lack of support.
Given the mileage, age and lack of support for this car, I think his best bet is getting scrap value for it.

As I mentioned above the only Volvo dealer in the province is a 2 hour drive away, and he moans and complains at the cost and issues of getting the car to the dealership so they can not only cut the key for the car, but they also need to pair the key with car's software using Vida.
No they don't and maybe you didn't explain the situation. You just need a mechanical key blade WITHOUT the electronics, so it can open the trunk lock. Not sure if Volvo sells one but they are on Ebay for $5. https://www.ebay.com/itm/255001310888?hash=item3b5f4336a8:g:aaYAAOSw7Rle8M3M

No they don't and maybe you didn't explain the situation. You just need a mechanical key blade WITHOUT the electronics, so it can open the trunk lock. Not sure if Volvo sells one but they are on Ebay for $5. https://www.ebay.com/itm/255001310888?hash=item3b5f4336a8:g:aaYAAOSw7Rle8M3M
Fair enough. For that I apologize for not elaborating further.
Thanks for the link, but that key resembles the "service key" he currently has. Only the VIN will get a replacement master key that works for all the locks (unless there's another way of getting a replacement master key that we're unaware of).

As for the dealership 2 hours away, they refuse to offer a key that's been cut that they cannot pair to the car with Vida.
They insist the only way they'll offer a key, is if they have the car in the shop.

Far as I know the only difference in the service key blade from the main key blade is it's missing the last cut that would turn the door or ignition lock. Call a few locksmiths in your area. Or maybe try online like https://www.carkeyduplication.com/cut-by-vin/
Thank you for that suggestion, but he's tried that already.
Since it's a redneck town, they all point him to the dealership which is a 3 hour drive from home.

EDIT also, the link you provided doesn't cover Volvo. The list only goes as far as Toyota (even VW isn't covered).

I'm thinking of suggesting my parents wait until spring, when they can push the car onto the lawn and use it as a $2500 lawn ornament.

Maybe time to get out the drill.
My old Tracker's rear cargo door latch rusted inside and failed so I couldn't open it, from the inside either, even with the door card off... The local wrecker had a rear door he would give me for $60 so I just cut a hole in the door with the angle grinder to get at the latch and reinstalled the "new" door. It was from the Japan plant instead of Ontario and they used better lube on the latches so it worked perfectly for years after...

Back