Volvo owners...what else compares to Mann?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who has owned a Volvo for a while is probably very familiar to Volvo's insistance of using OEM Mann oil filters. Volvo has even gone far enough to provide dealerships with filter "cut-aways" for display purposes. I really don't have a problem with using Mann oil filters. Most local imported parts houses sell them for a reasonable price($4-$5). Are there any other oil filters that have similar specs to Mann(filtering capability, quality of by-pass valve, ect.)?

I think it will be hard to find a much better filter than Mann. From all reports it is one of the best. If you can get these for 4-5 dollars for your car stick to it. I am paying 6 dollars for Pureone filters and I would bet both are very close.

SL8Brick:

You can usually find "case" deals for the Mann W917 on eBay and from various internet parts suppliers (FCP Groton).

You can also use a Wix filter, which I believe are pretty darn good. Wix's website says their 51521 is a direct replacement for the Mann W917, but if you tell them you have a Volvo 240 with the B230F engine (as I do), they list a 51307.

I've been using Motorcraft FL-1As in my 240s for awhile. Not a bad filter, $2.99 at Wal-Mart, and you increase your oil capacity by about 1/2 a quart, which isn't a bad thing. Just make sure your motor mounts are up to snuff.

Mike242GT: I think the Wix 51515 is the direct replacement for the Ford FL1A. That's what I'm using. 3/4-16 thread, and the same bypass.

I have used Mann, Mahle, Hengst, for my BMW and I think they are pretty much the same. All very high quality. Mine uses the cartridge style filters not the "spin on." Purolator and STP make a filter for it also but the filter is actually made by Hengst as it is stamped on the filter and is identical to the Hengst.

Nothing else beats a Mann filter for solidity in construction. They make their own product, nobody makes filters for them.

I've cut open Amsoil, M1, various Purolators, Delcos, Frams, etc.

There is no more solidly constructed filter that I am aware of than a Mann. I use them on 3 cars and pay less than 5 bucks apiece. And they aren't restrictive like some of the others.

I agree with BillJ, Mann is just about as good as it gets. My second choice is Mahle/Knecht. I rate Hengst a distant third but even then it is head and shoulders above nearly all other filters that I've taken the time to disect.

If you can get Mann filters for $5.00 then I'd use them exclusively.

Posted
I'd stick with the Manns, I have 2 Volvos and use them almost exclusively

many people say the same about wix and fram.
someone needs to cut one open???????

Take a look at the burr free quality, and precise cut of the threads on a MANN oil filter, as well as the # of threads (about 6-7). Even if you can't see inside the filter, this tells you something about their quality control.

I think it's the best OEM oil filter on the market ...I run their Longlife (18,000 miles/2 yrs), synthetic media oil filters on my new Audi TT roadster ....

Tooslick

Thanks to everyone for your input. My main concern was what else would I buy if my local sources ran out. I did place an order though FCPGroton for a small quantity of them(awesome $price$
shocked.gif
). Thanx again!!

quote:

I run their Longlife (18,000 miles/2 yrs), synthetic media oil filters on my new Audi TT roadster ....

TooSlick, Is a Mann Longlife filter different from thier standard oil filter line?

[ December 04, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: SL8Brick ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back