Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: whip
but have you considered an Acura TSX?

Or TL.

x2 on the TL
g/f and brother had a couple. '07 & '06 auto & 6spd manual

Great hwy cruisers. Good seats - pleasant drive.
The ATX returned 30-32 mpg at 75mph.

I hate to be "that guy that always suggest something else", but have you considered an Acura TSX? I think it combines a lot of features of the 2 cars your looking at.

Ya know I don't know anything about the acura's but they have been on some of the reliability lists that I have seen. I'm just wanting a nice reliable higher end vehicle. The Volvo and lexus seem to pop up the most when reliability is talked about.

Originally Posted By: snydely
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
yep, your right, just figured that out.. sheesh, i wasnt so (unimpressed) with thinking it was a 4 banger, but a 6 cyln.. now im going to have to give him a hard time.. His car still wins hands down in the style department thought !

Why would you have to give him a hard time? Your 244HP car is faster than his 181HP car? LOL! That shouldn't surprise anyone
wink.gif

You'd be better served comparing your 2007 3.0L Accord to a 2007 330i, which makes 254HP
wink.gif

common guys, help the OP.
i'm surprised that with his 30-40 k miles per year target , nobody suggested any oil....

I'm an amsoil guy already. I've run my fleet on it for the last year and like it so far.

Thanks,

My first post i said Audi ! thats my contribution
smile.gif

yep, your right, just figured that out.. sheesh, i wasnt so (unimpressed) with thinking it was a 4 banger, but a 6 cyln.. now im going to have to give him a hard time.. His car still wins hands down in the style department thought !

Why would you have to give him a hard time? Your 244HP car is faster than his 181HP car? LOL! That shouldn't surprise anyone
wink.gif

You'd be better served comparing your 2007 3.0L Accord to a 2007 330i, which makes 254HP
wink.gif

Id have to give him a hard time becouse he has a BMW and i dont
thumbsup2.gif
its a love hate thing, not long ago i posted up about looking at a BMW myself.

wink.gif

wink.gif

Id have to give him a hard time becouse he has a BMW and i dont
thumbsup2.gif
its a love hate thing, not long ago i posted up about looking at a BMW myself.

hahahhaah
cheers3.gif

I hate to be "that guy that always suggest something else", but have you considered an Acura TSX? I think it combines a lot of features of the 2 cars your looking at.

Ya know I don't know anything about the acura's but they have been on some of the reliability lists that I have seen. I'm just wanting a nice reliable higher end vehicle. The Volvo and lexus seem to pop up the most when reliability is talked about.

Acura is on par with Lexus for reliability. The TL and TSX are both great, but I figured the TSX would give better mileage with the longer commute.

Acura is on par with Lexus for reliability. The TL and TSX are both great, but I figured the TSX would give better mileage with the longer commute.

Not exaclty on par.

I agree Acura is very reliable, but Lexus is rated #1 in Vehicle Dependability compared to Acura's #8 ranking. Acura had 120 problems per 100 cars, while Lexus had only 71 problems per 100 cars.

For reference Volvo was close to the bottom with 149 problems per 100 cars, rank #25 out of 33. Audi which was also mentioned in this thread, is ranked #24 with 147 problems per 100 cars.

Source for Info: http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability-press-release.htm

Last edited:

wink.gif

wink.gif

i'm surprised that with his 30-40 k miles per year target , nobody suggested any oil....

No, we want to beat the German vs. Japanese luxury dead horse again.
grin.gif

Honestly, with those miles, I wouldn't touch a newer Volvo. Probably not any FWD Volvo. They just have too many problems, at least according to the post 1998 or so Volvo owners I know outside of BITOG, who almost universally hated their cars in some way. Usually it's expensive and frequent service for things like brakes. Yes, they have very strong bodies, but who really cares if the rest of it is a pain in the [censored]?

I kind of hate to say it, but for 30-40K a year, the Lexus is probably a better bet. Lexus and Toyota are definitely not what they used to be, but I think at the very least the IS will be cheaper and easier to have serviced and repaired than a newer Volvo will.

Sadly the LS400 is kind of Lexus' own benchmark. Did they ever build anything that good again? I don't think so, aside from maybe their rebadged Land Cruisers. I saw four or five LS400s today (and a couple MB W126s). I didn't see a single RX300, pre mid 2000s ES, or GS300. Why did the LSs survive and the others apparently didn't?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Sadly the LS400 is kind of Lexus' own benchmark. Did they ever build anything that good again? I don't think so, aside from maybe their rebadged Land Cruisers. I saw four or five LS400s today (and a couple MB W126s). I didn't see a single RX300, pre mid 2000s ES, or GS300. Why did the LSs survive and the others apparently didn't?

I still often see ES300s. Often ghetto dumb-dumbed up with huge chrome wheels. More ES300s than ES330s. I still see SC300s and SC400s once in awhile. (and one of those heavy, ugly SC430s everyday in my neighborhood)

I don't really see GSes anymore
21.gif
I don't see Infiniti J30s anymore either. That's a shame. I kinda' liked the J30

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

I still often see ES300s. Often ghetto dumb-dumbed up with huge chrome wheels. More ES300s than ES330s. I still see SC300s and SC400s once in awhile. (and one of those heavy, ugly SC430s everyday in my neighborhood)

21.gif
I don't see Infiniti J30s anymore either. That's a shame. I kinda' liked the J30

I see lots of GSes...every time I go to Pull-A-Part.
lol.gif
To be fair, many are in the 200K-300K mile range and clearly lived out their final days as unmaintained hoopties. One of my coworkers has an SC300, but its days are numbered. The LS is more like a Land Cruiser sedan though, and they just seem to keep going.

I heard that a lot of early-mid 90s Infinities had fiber optic wiring or something that would total them when it went bad. Not sure how much truth there is to that, might be just hearsay, and I don't know much about Infinities. Early Infinities did not hold their value as well as other luxury cars though, so that probably doomed them too.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

21.gif

I see lots of GSes...every time I go to Pull-A-Part.
lol.gif
To be fair, many are in the 200K-300K mile range and clearly lived out their final days as unmaintained hoopties. One of my coworkers has an SC300, but its days are numbered. The LS is more like a Land Cruiser sedan though, and they just seem to keep going.

I heard that a lot of early-mid 90s Infinities had fiber optic wiring or something that would total them when it went bad. Not sure how much truth there is to that, might be just hearsay, and I don't know much about Infinities. Early Infinities did not hold their value as well as other luxury cars though, so that probably doomed them too.

I don't know what was wrong with the J30.
21.gif

The Q45 had a myriad of problems. Timing chain, valve guides, lifters, oil consumption, weak radiators.....the list goes on and on. It should have been the Japanese 7-series to the LS400's S-Class. But I think too many of them consumed all their oil in a few weeks and died too young.

I'd think that gen IS would be a harsh ride to have for that many miles a year. The Volvo should offer more comfort. Personally, I'd probably lean towards an ES/GS/LS if you want a Lexus. Or the TSX/TL suggestion.

wink.gif

wink.gif

No, we want to beat the German vs. Japanese luxury dead horse again.
grin.gif

Honestly, with those miles, I wouldn't touch a newer Volvo. Probably not any FWD Volvo. They just have too many problems, at least according to the post 1998 or so Volvo owners I know outside of BITOG, who almost universally hated their cars in some way. Usually it's expensive and frequent service for things like brakes. Yes, they have very strong bodies, but who really cares if the rest of it is a pain in the [censored]?

I kind of hate to say it, but for 30-40K a year, the Lexus is probably a better bet. Lexus and Toyota are definitely not what they used to be, but I think at the very least the IS will be cheaper and easier to have serviced and repaired than a newer Volvo will.

Uhmm.... Have you seen the LFA??? The new LS F-Sport!

In my area, I see RX300's running around all day. I can't seem to get away from them, I literally see at least 3 different RX300's a day (excluding mine).

The RX is the first luxury crossover and murdered the sales when it first came out. No other manufacture was close.

Come to NJ, and you will see just how many older Lexus' are driving around today.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
I'd think that gen IS would be a harsh ride to have for that many miles a year. The Volvo should offer more comfort. Personally, I'd probably lean towards an ES/GS/LS if you want a Lexus. Or the TSX/TL suggestion.

Im actually not against the ES/GS/LS at all. It would just be nice to have something a bit more sporty. I guess a few test drives are in order. Either way anything I choose will be a huge step up from my saturn!!!!!!!

The ES is "the nicest Camry you'll ever drive"
crackmeup2.gif

They do seem to be put together pretty well. Even though some of those model years are known sludgers.

I think the 3MZ in the ES330 was safe from the sludge period.

Mark Levinson audio, nice leather, (especially if you get a Coach Edition... best leather since the Mark Cross Chryslers) Comfortable ride, but it's not very sporting.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

In my area, I see RX300's running around all day. I can't seem to get away from them, I literally see at least 3 different RX300's a day (excluding mine).

I wonder what number transmission they're on
lol.gif
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back