Volvo or lexus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TTK
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
You can't beat Japanese engineering...

Unless of course you are German. Then you can't beat the Japanese copying your engineering
whistle.gif

Soooooooooo.......what exactly did Lexus copy with the original LS400?

The Germans had to rush new designs when the LS400 started gobbling up their sales.

The cost overruns to get the new S-class to market to compete with the Lexus cost Daimler Benz's Chief Engineer his job. BMW had to rush the M60 V8 out early.

For a "copy", the LS sure made Daimler Benz and Bayerische Moteren Werke scramble about quite a bit.

But to be fair, Cadillac didn't even try. GM engineers said that they couldn't build a car like the LS400. I don't know what Lincoln engineers said. Chrysler had already messed up the hallowed Imperial nameplate by dolling up a Dodge Dynasty and calling it an Imperial. Dynasty is an okay car but it should never be an Imperial.
crazy.gif

Exactly what was in the LS400 that GM could not duplicate? Any references for that statement? Perhaps they could not build it at the same price?

The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation: Matthew May

"When the LS 400 was disassembled for engineering analysis, Cadillac engineers concluded that the vehicle could not be built using existing GM methods"

or

http://blogs.motortrend.com/2007-lexus-ls-460-4053-miles-580.html

The LS400 was a new automotive benchmark. Sure, the styling may have been faux-Mercedes, but no other luxury car was as quiet, as smooth, or as beautifully built. None. From the specially developed noise-suppressing steel used in the body, to the way the engine management system managed the torque to ensure near seamless shifts from the four-speed automatic, the LS400 was an engineering masterclass in refinement.
No auto writer talked about panel fits until the LS400. Then, road tests increasingly noted the tightness and consistency of gaps and margins. It became shorthand for quality and precision of manufacturing, and suddenly everyone understood no-one did it better than Toyota. Not even Europe’s so-called luxury automakers.
Conventional wisdom is the LS400 made its biggest impact in the U.S. – its biggest and most successful market. But its effect on Europe’s automotive aristocracy was perhaps more immediate and profound. Stunned by the less-expensive LS400's refinement and quality, Mercedes-Benz engineers were forced into a making a series of last-minute improvements on the W140 S-Class in an attempt to match it.
The W140 ran late and over-budget, and probably cost then Daimler Benz engineering chief Dr. Wolfgang Peter his job. The W140 was the last of the engineers’ Benzes; after the shock of the LS400, Daimler management realized it no could no longer enjoy the luxury of developing cars on its own terms and in its own time. The LS400 helped transform Mercedes-Benz from an engineering led brand to a marketing driven one.

Having just gotten off the phone earlier this evening w/ my Dad just to ask him how his 1990 LS400 is doing and he replied, "Nearly 350,000 miles and it drives like the day I bought it new. Lexus keeps trying to get me to trade it in for a new LS..... This'll be a classic one day son. Make sure you look after it for me when I'm due." He also has a 2008 Lexus GS 460 which he complained about the electrical glitches and rattles that his LS400 doesn't have.

Aside from regular dealer maintenance, he commented that everything is original on the LS400 except the AC condenser, power steering pump, and shocks.

We both agreed that even current model Lexus' are not built to the same standard the original LS400 was built to.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive always liked the Lexus IS, but it isnt a car Id see myself driving 40k miles a year in. It is a really nice car, but it is pretty tight inside.

Ya should have tried the saturn for 80K miles

Dude I'm running 4 trucks too. The gas bill of my car is the least of my worries. I just want a reliable, smoother riding car than my saturn.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Rather than editing my previous post, for some reason I did not pick up on the fact that you are looking at a used car. My word of advice is to never buy a used Volvo unless you can document that it has had all of it services done by a Volvo dealer throughout its previous life.

I've heard this advice in regards to volvo's a few times now. I'm super picky about used vehicles. Normally I'm buying the seller instead of the car. To me the person that owned the car is one of the most important reasons I purchased the car. Once owner is huge for me too.

The LS400 helped transform Mercedes-Benz from an engineering led brand to a marketing driven one.

To me, that part doesn't sound like a good thing
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I recently had a "head to head" with my friends 2005 4cyln 300 series BMW

There was no 4-cyl 3-series in 2005.
smile.gif

Im going to have to call him, whats the 4cyl 5 spd 05 BMW ? I may not have my numbers straight.. i thought it was a 325i

2.5 ltr I-6, my bad, he told me it was a 2."something" and i assumed it was a four banger.. my bad, so he has a 6! yikes, I ate that car up with a bone stock 3.0 Accord,
19.gif

Yeah..... You have 1/2 a litre more displacement on him with an engine that has the same number of cylinders. I don't see why that's surprising
21.gif
The E46 325i was 181HP. You would have been better served making your comparison to its sibling, the 330i, which has the same displacement as your Accord, and makes 228HP.

yep, your right, just figured that out.. sheesh, i wasnt so (unimpressed) with thinking it was a 4 banger, but a 6 cyln.. now im going to have to give him a hard time.. His car still wins hands down in the style department thought !

Why would you have to give him a hard time? Your 244HP car is faster than his 181HP car? LOL! That shouldn't surprise anyone
wink.gif

You'd be better served comparing your 2007 3.0L Accord to a 2007 330i, which makes 254HP
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: snydely
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a used car and turn in my 2002 Saturn SC2. Right now I'm thinking about either a 2002-2006 lexus IS 300 or a Volvo s60 or S80. I drive 30-40K/year and mostly on the highway. I want a vehicle that won't beat me to death and will be fun to drive and more quiet and relaxing than the Saturn. What is going to be the most reliable? I like the thought of the Volvo turbo's but they scare me a bit. Any help would be great.
Thanks,

pm the users Astro14 and Volvohead. they are deemed the volvo experts here.
i think sleddriver too. eljefino and jod may know something....
find yourself a good volvo indie.
good luck.

The LS400 helped transform Mercedes-Benz from an engineering led brand to a marketing driven one.

21.gif

Ha! I thought the same.

yep, your right, just figured that out.. sheesh, i wasnt so (unimpressed) with thinking it was a 4 banger, but a 6 cyln.. now im going to have to give him a hard time.. His car still wins hands down in the style department thought !

Why would you have to give him a hard time? Your 244HP car is faster than his 181HP car? LOL! That shouldn't surprise anyone
wink.gif

You'd be better served comparing your 2007 3.0L Accord to a 2007 330i, which makes 254HP
wink.gif

common guys, help the OP.
i'm surprised that with his 30-40 k miles per year target , nobody suggested any oil....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

good luck.

Major consideration...
some indies won't work on the newer volvos...anyone would work on a Toyo/Lexus...

wink.gif

wink.gif

common guys, help the OP.
i'm surprised that with his 30-40 k miles per year target , nobody suggested any oil....

I'm an amsoil guy already. I've run my fleet on it for the last year and like it so far.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

good luck.

Major consideration...
some indies won't work on the newer volvos...anyone would work on a Toyo/Lexus...

That IS a good point.

Example: I deal extensively with my local Chrysler dealer. I'm a customer of theirs, their a customer of mine. There are certain jobs however that they simply will/cannot do on my BMW, or even my sister's.

They refused to do my clutch for example. And they can't do alignment on these cars because it requires special tools and weights to place in the passenger compartment to properly load the car.

Regular stuff, like brakes, tires....etc. No problem of course.

Originally Posted By: snydely
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive always liked the Lexus IS, but it isnt a car Id see myself driving 40k miles a year in. It is a really nice car, but it is pretty tight inside.

Ya should have tried the saturn for 80K miles

How tall/heavy are you? Have you tried sitting in the IS? It has less front shoulder room than your Saturn.

The other thing I've noticed so far is it is much easier to find a lexus or volvo that was well taken maintained. When I bought my saturn it seemed like every kid in college had beaten their saturn to death. Now when I'm looking for a lexis/volvo it seems like the CEO or some company has been maintaining this car since he bought it new and is looking to buy another one. It is a very different experience.

I'd vote Volvo, they're slightly underrated.
The Lexus would be more predictable though.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

21.gif

Ha! I thought the same.

Ahhh the pivotal moment of many automakers that have lost their way...
31.gif

I'd vote Volvo. While the Lexus should be more predictable, it would have a tendency to be 'overrated'. I don't hear too many bad things about Volvo, which as an automaker, is undoubted underrated IMO. I think their interiors are pretty nice too.

Which one is smoother?

I'm a huge fan of Volvo. And in areas with salted roads they will definitely last the longest. They used to at one point, maybe still, do galvanized bodies. My friend has had a 240, an 850 and now a V70, none have had any rust on the exterior, in Canadian winters.

They are just great cars. They feel and drive somewhat heavy, but some people like that as well, they just feel solid.

I think Volvo has some proprietary computer stuff that forces you to go to the dealer for diagnosis. I had a Volvo and after 100k it became a money pit really fast.

I hate to be "that guy that always suggest something else", but have you considered an Acura TSX? I think it combines a lot of features of the 2 cars your looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back