Volvo dealer overfilled my S60 about 1/2 qt or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took 7 quarts of my own M1 0W40 (thee crankcase holds about 6.4). They returned about 1/2 quart so I figure the overfill must be because they didn't let it drain sufficiently? Should I be concerned? I guess I could use my blackstone pump to take some out, pumping out one little sample bottle's worth of oil at a time. What do y'all think? Is it worth doing?

Last edited:
If its easy to do, pump some out. Otherwise I wouldnt really worry. Remember, we're way more picky with our cars than others. I'm sure 1/2 quart over happens all the time.

I wouldn't worry about 1/2 qt on that engine. I regularly overfilled mine by about that much, mainly because it would consume that 1/2 qt in about 1.5K miles.

I will say this is common if you have the oil changed on this car, as it seems to hold about 1/2-3/4 of a quart, and places always put in the "dry fill" amount.

Half a quart over in a 7 qt sump is nothing to worry about. Actually half a qt over is nothing to worry about regardless of capacity, unless it's got a really small sump.

If the overfill is indeed due to them not letting all the oil drain, you may want to consider doing the OC's yourself. I let mine drain for a long time before I put the plug back in and fill it, because I want to make sure I get as much of the old oil out as possible. Does it really matter? Probably not. But I feel better knowing the engine is filled with all fresh oil, or as much fresh as possible. It's basically impossible to get it all out, since some oil will remain in the engine no matter how long you let it drain.

Last edited:
Using Mount's advice, I applied a little cost-benefit analysis and realized that pumping some out was no biggie. It took about 10 minutes although it was hot as blazes in the garage. It's done now, thanks for the replies. If we all weren't a little AR, we wouldn't be here in the first place, right? I decided to save what I took out in case this evenings reading was somehow off. I'll check it tomorrow for sure.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
many dealers and shops seem to overfill by half a qt or so.

I have noticed that too so it must not hurt anything.

When I picked up my 2012 Jeep Patriot The level on the dip stick was 1" over the full line. An oil change takes only 4.5 quarts. "DO NOT OVER FILL" is stamped on the stick so I drained almost 1 qt. Now it's 3/8" over.

Use what you pumped out for top off on the 97 Camry, you know its going to need it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Did you pull the dipstick? What does it show?

The dipstick now shows just a gnat's eyelash past the full mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back