Volt or Leaf? Ask someone who owns both...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Quote:
FWIW, I view all this as more of a stop gap rather than a final solution. As research and improvements come on line, batteries may prove to be a viable solution, but without the research we would never know either way.

Totally agree, but what bothers me is how the government, greenies and media got people convinced that THIS IS THE SOLUTION.

At this stage it is really unclear, and if Ford doubts this technology, remember they got about $6b in DOE Retooling grants (not a small chunk of money) and they are the ones doing the research, not the government, then that tells me that something is not right.

I agree that some research should be done, but let’s not put all of our eggs in one basket and let’s not get too crazy with throwing money at this thing because we still have plenty of oil and other technologies may be more viable.

You seem very bitter..

I wonder if anyone has thought about what happens when your greanie car breaks AFTER your warranty is up? $$$ No thanks, I'll stick to my evil V8's.

Originally Posted By: Torino
Ah yes. How long will it be before the various state agencies begin to require a separate meter for the car? This to apply a road use tax. Fasten your safety belts. John--Las Vegas.

Good point.

Originally Posted By: Whizbanger
I wonder if anyone has thought about what happens when your greanie car breaks AFTER your warranty is up? $$$ No thanks, I'll stick to my evil V8's.

Actually, there is very little to break on an electic car, its far more simple than a gas model. No tranmission, no fuel pump, no gas tank to leak, no engine parts, (as in gas engine) no exhaust sysytem to rust out, No Differential, the list goes on and on.

The engine is very simple, you may have to replace a set up brushes now and then

Originally Posted By: Shannow
No differential ?

How do they turn corners ?

Depends on the design, some have a motor at each wheel. I meant No differential as in a RWD gas vehicle.

Also, no gas filters to change, no o2 sensors, no Cat converter to plug up. no water pump to fail, No charcoal evap hardware, no timing belts to change, No anti-freeze to flush, no air filter or PVC to change, no spark plugs to change, no Crankshaft position sensor to fail, I could go ob all day, but going for breakfast....

In theory they should be very simple to maintain, practically nil.

But they are a bit new to be speaking of them as the holy grail.

Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back