How to buy a Nissan Leaf for $12,280

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the different incentives to purchase electric cars can be confusing.

But if all the stars align and you're the lucky person who can take advantage of multiple incentives, there’s a slim chance that you could buy a brand-new 2011 Nissan Leaf for a mere $12,300.

Here’s how it works: Start with the $32,780 list price of a Leaf base model. You’ll have to wait until next year, when you file your taxes, to cash in, but the Leaf qualifies for the highest $7,500 Federal tax credit for the purchase of a plug-in vehicle. (The Leaf should appear in the list of eligible vehicles on the FuelEconomy.gov website once it goes on sale.)

That takes the effective cost down to $25,280.

Next, if you live in California, the state will send you a check for $5,000 as part of its clean-vehicle rebate project—once you submit paperwork to the Center for Sustainable Energy, which manages the program, showing you bought a Leaf or any other qualifying zero-emissions vehicle. Now you're down to $20,280.

Now, if you live in one of the eight counties that make up the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District (San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the San Joaquin Valley Air Basin portion of Kern), you can apply for an additional $3,000 rebate for the purchase of a zero-emissions vehicle. Total: $17,280.

And, finally, if you work for Sony Pictures Entertainment, the company just announced it will offer employees a $5,000 allowance for the purchase of an electric vehicle. For this one, there's an eligibility application to fill out, then the buyer submits proof of purchase, and Sony sends a rebate check.

The Sony scheme expands on a similar program for hybrid cars it began in 2009, and is similar to a much-publicized program for hybrids from Silicon Valley software maker Hyperion Solutions several years ago.

If you’re a Sony Pictures employee who lives in one of those San Joaquin Valley areas, we really want to hear from you. While you'll have to write a check for $32,780 up front (plus tax, title, registration, insurance, and any other fees), you will end up getting a remarkable $20,500 of that back, one way or another.

(And, yes, that's the same Sony Pictures that distributes Chris Paine's Who Killed the Electric Car?)

That's even better, in percentage terms, than Colorado's notorious (and now-ended) $42,000 tax credit for buying a 2009 Tesla Roadster.

From: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/10/25/buy-nissan-leaf-just/

We'd go for it . Bought a 2007 PRIUS and got a tax break . We'd go for a small hybrid pickup truck if made available . Just think , a P.U. with overall average of 30 > 35 m.p.g.. Would come in handy . ANY CAR / TRUCK MANUFACTURER READING THIS ? !!!
wink.gif

Last edited:
I have a good friend who has already reserved one.

He lives in Texas and just started asking me about how to go about installing a 220 volt drop in his garage for the quick charger.

It will get interesting if every manufacturer has a different charging system/plug in.

What makes you think that you will be able to buy the leaf at the list price? Some dealers are already talking about putting a big premium on the chevy volt.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Even at 12k i couldn't bring myself to buy this toaster on wheels.
Why, no engine to work on? No Oil to change?
smile.gif
If it had a 200 mile range, I'd be all over it. Current range is fine to and from work - but not to work then "play time" with the boyz on Thurs nite then home. I did work for a high tech company that manuf many edge of the art automotive electronics prototypes on a pilot line (and the tesla hood of all things(!) and they would have installed a charging station in the parking lot (for me). It'll buy you Good publicity in the local paper and trade journals. My Current job doesnt even recycle paper - No hope here. Neaderthals!

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on the base prices of these electric vehicles.. aside from the novelty of all-electric, why and how should a Nissan Leaf ever cost $32,780 to start? Would you pay $32,780 for what amounts to a Yaris with an electric motor or a decent AWD BMW 3 series?!

I would think an electric/hybrid would be even easier for us in Canada to rationalize than in the States, given how we are taxed so heavily on gas here, leading to much higher fuel prices. Already we're paying over a $1.10/L as its started its gradual winter increase it does every year. I'm guessing, based on past trends, it'll eventually peak at $1.30 by March, and I'm estimating conservatively, before it begins to slowly inch down to a price that's still above the same the year before.

Although I agree the price tag is high, and it may not be possible to recoup this difference over the life of the car versus a really fuel efficient vehicle. Also all gas power cars like the Chevy Cruse are giving them a run for the money where its base cost is much lower and it achieves outstanding mileage.

As with the Volt, this is Nissan's first offering like this so the first few cohorts of buyers are going to be footing the bill for not just the car, but the R&D and new production processes needed to produce it.

It'll come down in price over time, but it may be a tough sell to many. For those who qualify for some of the rebates mentioned by the OP, likely not as tough a sell though.

-Spyder

Last edited:
True enough. Its an interesting concept car, but its limited range and high price tag will put it out of reach of most potential hybrid/electric buyers. It may sell well to upper middle class 2 car couples where the second car is used sparingly and for short commutes as a grocery getter etc where that niche is already in the market for a hybrid/electric as that 2nd car.

The early Toyota hybrids, compared to today's, were also expensive and had their own drawbacks. Production and sales were initially low, but after over a decade of refining the technology, its become mainstream and the Prius is priced well and achieves a good sales volume.

As more hybrids/electrics are produced I expect the battery systems to continue to improve and the cars to increasingly overcome current limitations and drawbacks. Relative to the internal gasoline powered combustion engine, this technology is still in its infancy. I'm optimistic, though, that over the next decade it should become more attainable and practical as subsequent models are improved and production costs, through technological advances and economy of larger scale production as more are made, comes down. We just have to wait to see it in the meantime.

-Spyder

I see all these kick backs and subsidies for the Leaf, the Prius and the Volt and it makes me wonder. What exactly would the MSRP of these cars be if the welfare for them didn't exist? The manufacturers have to be taking this into account when they price these cars, right?

I would love to get a Leaf but will probably wait till the electric Audi comes to the US.

how can California give a $5000 incentive? I thought California was broke and in severe debt.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
how can California give a $5000 incentive? I thought California was broke and in severe debt.

Money isn't real to government. It's all play money.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

cost-banafit analysis. it's probably cheaper to spend $5,000 on these cars than clean up the pollution from the gasoline vehicles. I'm sure when you run the numbers for a state, this expenditure is chump change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back