Volt Oil Change Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2012 Chevy Volt is now 19 months old with over 22k on the odometer. The OLM is still at 76% and according to the computer the car should have consumed 111 gallons of gasoline. So on paper I should be good to go until the 24 months OCI that GM recommends. In the manual they state to go by the OLM or a 24 month maximum whichever comes first.

Then my oil change OCD set in. When you think of it, this should be the definition of severe service interval. In the 19 months the oil has gotten up to temp probably only a few times. Normally the engine is only on for a few minutes. On top of that it will come on and run at a higher RPM right off the bat depending on what mode it is in.

On the other hand does it really matter? At this rate the engine will consume less than a 1000 gallons of gasoline in 200,000 miles. This would equate to ~35,000 miles in a normal vehicle. It will also only consume about 27 gallons in the next five months at the current rate.

What say you? Should I change it now or wait until the 24 months are up? I do plan on getting a UOA on what comes out.

Last edited:
Your money, your car. Do what makes you feel good.

If it were my car I would change it. Just for my piece of mind.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: blackman777
111 gallons * 35mpg == 3800 miles. I would consider it due for a change under "severe" service (city driving or stop/go driving).

I don't understand he says he has 22,000 miles on the car. Are you just coming up with an average based off what you think mpg is?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
111 gallons * 35mpg == 3800 miles. I would consider it due for a change under "severe" service (city driving or stop/go driving).

I don't understand he says he has 22,000 miles on the car. Are you just coming up with an average based off what you think mpg is?

There is an app that tracks fuel consumption as well as the onboard computer that tracks lifetime MPG figures. I've checked it a few times vs. hand calculated and it's close to actual.

I would simply regard the engine in yout Volt as little more than a generator.

As that is the duty it performs

I would suspect that the OLM is at least partly counting the hours it has been working.

The Volt is a cool car. Nicer imho than the sister car the Ampera

4 seats kills it though

If they ever fit it with 5 seats it will be short listed for the wife

I don't put many miles on my highway car, so I change it ever 24 months.

I use Castrol Edge in the Gold bottle, with a Purolator Plus (gold colored) or Synthetic (blue) filter.

Quote:
When you think of it, this should be the definition of severe service interval.
But when the Oil Life Monitor that was programmed by GM's powertrain engineers "thinks" of it, you're still good to go. Do whatever will help you sleep at night. I'd trust GM's engineers.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

The Volt is an EV that only turns-on the engine when the battery runs out. In other words: It runs very rarely. If the engine consumed 111 gallons, and the engine gets 35 combined mpg (EPA) then it's just simple math: The engine pushed the car done that road approximately 3800 miles.

NOTE: I don't trust oil life monitors, since they don't actually "monitor" anything. They just perform some simple math & Estimate when the oil is done. Guessing. Plus many people (and some manufacturers like Chevy & Honda) have discovered the OLM ran too long and left sludge in engines. I prefer to ignore the OLM and do 3000 or 7500.

NOTE 2: I'm planning on buying a Volt when the used price drops to ~$10,000. I think it's a beautiful car, especially in red, plus I like the idea of an infinite range EV (just like my gas or diesel is infinite range). It's cool technology.

change it if it makes you feel better.

even at 1 change every 22,000 miles, it's not like you're going to be racking up that many oil changes total.

But if I were you, I'd wait to schedule all the service that might be needed to be done in one go, just to save time. Whether this is brakes or all the other stuff that needs to be checked.

NOTE: I don't trust oil life monitors, since they don't actually "monitor" anything. They just perform some simple math & Estimate when the oil is done. Guessing. Plus many people (and some manufacturers like Chevy & Honda) have discovered the OLM ran too long and left sludge in engines. I prefer to ignore the OLM and do 3000 or 7500.

Generalize much?

In regards to the GM OLM, oil analysis has shown it to be pretty conservative in most cases.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I would simply regard the engine in yout Volt as little more than a generator.

As that is the duty it performs

Exactly. The engine doesn't transmit power to the wheels....so it is under a steady and "easy" workload when it is running to charge the battery pack(s). I'd follow the OLM in the case.

"...when the used price drops to ~$10,000..."

Uh, when would you estimate that will be? 2031? And a battery replacement will cost what?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back