Volkswagen XL1 - 261 mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a heartbeat, but we'll never get it. The EPA and the oil industry will see to that. Clean, efficient diesel - we've tried and tried, Europe has it, but they refuse to give it to us.

Originally Posted By: KenO
In a heartbeat, but we'll never get it. The EPA and the oil industry will see to that. Clean, efficient diesel - we've tried and tried, Europe has it, but they refuse to give it to us.

Actually you will not be able to get this in the US just because it doesn't have any side mirrors but instead uses two small video screens to project the image. It seems that this makes it illegal in the US of A.

Current price over here is 110.000 Euro

I said 10 years ago that is ridiculous that we don't have efficient TDI vehicles like we see in the rest of the world.

Today, there really is no excuse. It's tried tested and superior in Driveablility to most Gasseers we have. Plus for many vehicles MPG would about DOUBLE.

It really should be asked, WHY?

Originally Posted By: expat

I said 10 years ago that is ridiculous that we don't have efficient TDI vehicles like we see in the rest of the world.

Today, there really is no excuse. It's tried tested and superior in Driveablility to most Gasseers we have. Plus for many vehicles MPG would about DOUBLE.

It really should be asked, WHY?

Because the EPA is out of control, like the rest of our government, and hates us. They force ridiculous emissions equipment that they don't run in Europe, driving the costs up many thousands of dollars, therefore, removing a majority of th cost efficiencies of buying a diesel. That, and our diesel is quite a bit more expensive than gasoline for some reason.

Last edited:

Don't worry about diesels they are going to start to lose popularity over the next decade as the complexity needed to make Euro 6 and then Euro 7 is going to make them no longer economically viable

Hence why you can now buy 2.0 i4 Jaguar XJL's in certain markets.

The new way forward for Europe is downsized small capacity turbo petrols it would appear.

I will miss the torque and instant oomph.

But will not miss the problems with DPF's, getting hands covered in diesel from the pump handle as the disposable glove dispenser is empty.

Imagine being able to sit with the engine running not worrying about the Dpf getting full and having to go on a long drive at certain speed and revs to get it to clear itself out.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
I don't want the pollution and acid rain problems Europe has.

Eh?

Acid rain is not just a European issue

But due to the fact we have buildings that are several hundred years old in rather significant quantities it is logical that these buildings would be affected more than modern ones

And diesels main problem is particulates which are harmful to people's lungs

From what I remember from school acid rain is more due to petrol vehicles and the burning of fossils fuels in power stations and industry in general

To say it is down to the use of diesels is misguided

Especially since when there was an acid rain concern most European cars, with the exception of France were indeed petrol.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Don't worry about diesels they are going to start to lose popularity over the next decade as the complexity needed to make Euro 6 and then Euro 7 is going to make them no longer economically viable

The new way forward for Europe is downsized small capacity turbo petrols it would appear.

But will not miss the problems with DPF's, getting hands covered in diesel from the pump handle as the disposable glove dispenser is empty.

Imagine being able to sit with the engine running not worrying about the Dpf getting full and having to go on a long drive at certain speed and revs to get it to clear itself out.

Very true, I heard in Hong Kong that older diesel vans are going up in price because the newer Euro tier ones are less reliable and have poor fuel economy. This is the case when comparing Toyota vans of the same model in different years.

Eh?

But due to the fact we have buildings that are several hundred years old in rather significant quantities it is logical that these buildings would be affected more than modern ones

From what I remember from school acid rain is more due to petrol vehicles and the burning of fossils fuels in power stations and industry in general

Especially since when there was an acid rain concern most European cars, with the exception of France were indeed petrol.

"Modern diesels require something of an environmental tradeoff. While generating fewer greenhouse gas emissions, diesels emit larger amounts of two other pollutants:
Particulate matter is the black cloud that trails many older diesel vehicles. Diesel particulates are harmful to human health as well as aesthetically unpleasant.
NOx (oxides of nitrogen) is a key ingredient in the formation of urban smog, and also can contribute to the formation of acid rain."

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_110/

someone's got to use the gas "petrol" from crude refining, I forget the fractions but in each unit of crude oil therw are % of gas,diesel, kerosene, greases, plastics bases etc. So we should feel ok that we have n can afford so much gas, but more diesels would be nice, it would probably raise the cost for big rig shipping thus everything else. maybe

It's easy to imagine. There are kits made all over the world by aftermarket companies to disable the idiotic emissions components. I'm all for intelligent emissions operations, but diesel particulates are not part of the problem. NOx emissions, yes, I'll give you that, but gasoline cars are outputting NOx as well, even with the most advanced catalytic convertors. And getting hands dirty with diesel - really? Do what every truck driver here in the US does - just have a work glove in the car, stored in the boot, wherever to handling the dispenser.

It's easy to imagine. There are kits made all over the world by aftermarket companies to disable the idiotic emissions components. .

(facepalm)

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Actually you will not be able to get this in the US just because it doesn't have any side mirrors but instead uses two small video screens to project the image. It seems that this makes it illegal in the US of A.

Current price over here is 110.000 Euro

1.00 EUR = $1.36705 US
110k EUR = $150k US

You can get almost 2 Tesla Model S for 1 stupid looking and very cramp Volkswagen XL1.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-volkswagen-xl1-first-drive-review

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You can get almost 2 Tesla Model S for 1 stupid looking and very cramp Volkswagen XL1.

I guess it takes all kinds, but I think the XL1 is a much better looking car than a Tesla Model S...

But, we will never get the XL1...

Eh?

"Modern diesels require something of an environmental tradeoff. While generating fewer greenhouse gas emissions, diesels emit larger amounts of two other pollutants:
Particulate matter is the black cloud that trails many older diesel vehicles. Diesel particulates are harmful to human health as well as aesthetically unpleasant.
NOx (oxides of nitrogen) is a key ingredient in the formation of urban smog, and also can contribute to the formation of acid rain."

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_110/

Because Yahoo.com is always right.

Most European diesels hsve been fitted with dpfs since 07/08.

Some higher specification models had them fitted since late 90s

Most diesel buses and LGVs are also already fitted with dpfs

They also use less fuel per mile travelled.

Perhaps try to research from sources where they hsve more specific knowledge of diesels.

If smog is caused by diesels and diesels alone why is there smog about LA

More pollution is caused by burning fossil fuels for electricity than vehicles.

If smog is caused by diesels and diesels alone why is there smog about LA

grow up

I have to wonder why it's so expensive. Half of a typical TDI engine, and less than 1/3'd the battery of the Volt, and a timy electric motor. Sure, a Carbon Fiber chassis is not cheap, but still....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back