Volant Power core and aFe Pro 5 R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bitogers,

I am looking at a couple of intakes for my '11 Hemi Ram. I'm pretty much only looking at the Volant Power Core intake system, and the aFe intake kit with Pro 5 R filter.

I've read a lot about the aFe Dry Flow and Pro X X filters, and the Pro 5 R seems like a very good filter. However, I still read mixed reviews on most cone style filters when it comes to actual filtering and efficiency. I would rather have better filtering than higher flow, as long as the flow is adequate for the engine.

Anyway, I know nothing about the Power Core filter. Although power and sound are important to me, I'm most concerned with the actual filtering ability. I want to give my truck the cleanest breathing it can have, and I just can't find great info on the powercore. It does look pretty interesting, but would like some feedback since I know *someone* has to have one of these kits on their vehicle.

With cone style intake systems, you always get the benefit (or perhaps annoyance ) of throatier sound. That being said , I've had high end intakes add just the right amount of intake noise to give the vehicle a little tougher sound, and I've installed cheap-cheap-cheap eBay no-name, no instruction kits at that are poorly designed and SOOOO loud that it is almost embarrassing while accelerating. That being said, the Power Core looks unlike any other filter I've seen, so I don't know if the design would reduce intake noise when compared to a cone filter intake?

After all of that, my real questions are:

-How well does the Power Core actually filter dirt?
-Am I correct in assuming that the Power Core would *probably* filter finer particles that a normal cone type material?
-How restrictive is the Power Core when compared to other filters?
-How does the efficiency compare between the two?

I know I'm asking a lot, but both kits are just about the same cost. It appears I'm getting more for the money with the Volant, but I would appreciate any info you guys can help me with.

Thanks!

The Volant, indubitably. For one thing, it has the better filter... the Donaldson Power Core which is a very good, efficient filter Donaldson. It's rated above 99.97 percent efficiency and that's about as good as it gets and likely better than stock. The Afe is rated in the "high 98 percent" on the following link aFe and that's at the lower end of what the OE filters generally do these days.

Secondly, the Volant is a closed system, and you won't be sucking in warm air. I have done some testing on so called "cold air intakes" and found that many end up letting warmer air in than stock because they are not fully enclosed and suck in hot underhood air. The Volant is a closed system and ducted to the outside like stock. The open systems are also very noisy and will drone mightily. I doubt (and many report) the Volant will not do that, both because of the Power Core filter and the enclosed box. I would guess the Afe to be noisy, as it's both open and a freer filter.

As to restriction, I think (but don't know fore sure) the Power Core is superior to other fine-filtering media on a per square inch basis... which means more restrictive than oiled cotton gauze or other less efficient filters. What you do in that case is just add more filter area to compensate, which looks to be what Volant did.

Chasing the "low restriction goose" is a fool's chase anyway. Until the throttle is fully open, the throttle butterfly is the major restriction so "low restriction" means WOT. How often will you have the throttle open on that Ram? There are very often no power gains to be had on that basis alone anyway. If the engine has enough air, then having the potential for more doesn't gain you anything. I have tested a few newer trucks (not an '11 Ram) and found the stock system had more than enough air for the stock engine. That equation changes with other engine modifications added, of course, and airflow needs will go up a little or a lot according to the mods. With significant mods... that's when you need to think about a better flowing intake.

There is power to be gained by improvements to the intake tract. How much depends on how good the new system is versus the OE one and any tricks they may use. That's hit or miss and only independent dyno tests will prove it one way or another. And the gains are usually small.

Overall, I'd advise you to stick with the stock intake (which, if typical,probably filters almost as well as the Volant) and put the $310 towards a multi function programmer which will give you a lot more useful features as well as a sizable power boost.

If you are dead set on a CAI, go with one that's got the best filtration and don't expect a big power boost. Another one that has excellent filtration is the AEM Dryflow media (about 99%-plus). They can be noisy, however, because the systems I've seen from them are all open. I had an AEM system installed and it was noisy. Stay away from oiled cotton gauze from any company as they are the lest efficient fitlers.

My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Check and see if Airaid makes just the intake tube for the Ram. I put one on my 5.3L Chevy and it makes a noticable difference at about 1/3 the cost of a full system.

OP the volant/donaldson filter is a great filter that will last a long time, but they are pricey to replace. The factory air intake on the 4th gen hemi rams doesn't really have any restriction, it's just a big rubber hose so I'd just put a good drop in filter in the factory box. The AEM dryflow is good and easy to clean, the part number you need is 28-20247, I just got one from 4wheelparts for my truck. It's the drop in for 02-08 rams, but they all have the same airbox so it fits. If you want more impressions on the volant check out dodge talk or dodge forum, but I wouldn't bother w/ the afe intake in this application.

Cool didn't know someone was making intake kits that actually used a good filter. Donaldson is top notch in quality and filtration, that why most heavy equipment have a Donaldson under the hood.

I have the stock intake on my ram hemi cuz none of the conventional intakes/filters are as good as the stock one IMO. But I guess I'm not the typical hot rodder. I value equipment functionality and longevity over performance.

Something that uses a Donaldson might change my mind tho.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Cool didn't know someone was making intake kits that actually used a good filter. Donaldson is top notch in quality and filtration, that why most heavy equipment have a Donaldson under the hood.

I have the stock intake on my ram hemi cuz none of the conventional intakes/filters are as good as the stock one IMO. But I guess I'm not the typical hot rodder. I value equipment functionality and longevity over performance.

Something that uses a Donaldson might change my mind tho.

So hot rodders don't like their equipment to work well or last? I think hot rodders value all three, functionality, longevity and performance.

Check the other PowerCore post running. I've put the Donaldson PowerCore (complete off-road kit) in dozens of pickups and trucks. The kit has the additional turbines, so is very long lasting and efficient.

The PowerCore design is way less restrictive than traditional. My first installation was in my T100 at about 100,000 miles. It now has 205,000, almost all dirt roads. The filter is 1.5% full. That kit is about near the flow limit for the air flow of that 3500cc engine, although I've put them in a few bigger ones. Check the airflow rating of the one you are considering. They make these kits up to 900 cm, but those are big.

Noise is dependent on whether or not you cut out the resonator. Leave it in and you have no more noise. Pull it out in the installation process and you will hear more suction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back