VOA Database

Uhh, what? TBN is definitively the most important aspect when someone is considering a long OCI of 20k or more. Now, if you change at 10k, then sure, it really doesn't matter much.
Not necessarily. You want to look at the oxidation resistance. TBN is disregarded by GM and Cummins. Low sulfur fuels.

"One other thing... Most folks would consider an engine oil to be shot when the TBN reaches 2 - 3. This isn't actually the case. An oil can function quite happily with a TBN of zero. The thing you have to remember is that oil formulators don't tend to focus directly on stuff like TBN depletion, acid formation or oil oxidation. What they're really concerned with is the onset of exponential viscosity increase. For many of the lengthy, industry standard engine based oxidation tests, it's both impractical and uneconomic to just use over based detergent to control oxidation. Given how fast it can deplete, you might need an oil with a starting TBN of around 20 to keep the TBN above 2 at the end of the test! For this reason, modern oils contain a cocktail of various Antioxidant chemistries, each of which plays a role in keeping the oil from 'breaking' long after the TBN reserve has been exhausted. Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong per se with changing out your oil when the TBN hits 2 - 3 but if you do a UOA, and find the oil's TBN is zero, it's not something to freak out about."

Not necessarily. You want to look at the oxidation resistance.
But doesn't that also depend on what engine is being used? Don't certain engines different characteristics play into how much an oil will oxidise? Like how there is no "best oil" but rather some engines are more picky than others about the chemical makeup of the oil?

But doesn't that also depend on what engine is being used? Don't certain engines different characteristics play into how much an oil will oxidise? Like how there is no "best oil" but rather some engines are more picky than others about the chemical makeup of the oil?
Yeah that is true some engines are harder on oils than others. I also didn't believe it when I first saw this video. I had always though TBN was important, but per Lakespeed Jr, it's not really as important as I had thought. I think it gives you a cushion though if acidity builds up. I think? But overall it's not that important. So I don't get concerned if the TBN is around 2-3 like I used to.

Yeah that is true some engines are harder on oils than others. I also didn't believe it when I first saw this video. I had always though TBN was important, but per Lakespeed Jr, it's not really as important as I had thought. I think it gives you a cushion though if acidity builds up. I think? But overall it's not that important. So I don't get concerned if the TBN is around 2-3 like I used to.
I don't go over 10k so for me I pay more attention to prices and API certification. But if I was going to spend more money I think I would try to find both good tbn and good anti-oxidants.

Don’t own a Hemi …..Thank goodness
Its not that bad an engine, despite what people might say. I would say that if you use a good 5w30 like Redline and change the oil every 3000 - 4000 miles, you should be fine.

I have nothing important to add other than THANK YOU for continuing to doing this! 🥳
Discovering this spreadsheet and Lake Speed Jr. videos has been very helpful in breaking stuff down and answering questions that I had no idea how to word properly in the "Search" function and didn't want to probably create yet another post about something I am sure was already asked before!

Those links are ancient. It's almost certain the oil formulations have changed multiple times since then so those VOAs wouldn't be representative of any RP oil on the shelf today. I'd be happy to add more current VOAs though.

Before I spend money on getting a so-called "Low Ash" Generac 5W20 oil tested, I wondered if the spreadsheet has any columns for Ash? I don't see any labeled as such, but maybe it is under another term.

Blackstone told me for $50 more I could get "ash and sulfonated ash" tested, but wanted to make sure the data can be captured before I do it.

Thanks,

Chris

Before I spend money on getting a so-called "Low Ash" Generac 5W20 oil tested, I wondered if the spreadsheet has any columns for Ash? I don't see any labeled as such, but maybe it is under another term.

Blackstone told me for $50 more I could get "ash and sulfonated ash" tested, but wanted to make sure the data can be captured before I do it.

Thanks,

Chris
Sorry, I am not tracking Ash in the spreadsheet.

If I were to pay for ash on my sample(s), would you be willing to add a column for ash?
It's not a big deal to do, sure. But I doubt many others would be willing to pay that much extra on a VOA. Your may end up being the only result in the database. ;)

It's not a big deal to do, sure. But I doubt many others would be willing to pay that much extra on a VOA. Your may end up being the only result in the database. ;)
Do you think when Generac says their oil is low ash, do they mean the virgin oil, or used oil?

I assumed it meant virgin, but I'm new to understand oils.

Back