Vitamin D

My Dr told me a long time ago that unless you were a roofer in Ga. or south of Ga., you couldn't get enough from the sun. At the time I was low and have been on it for years.

And here they are saying, if you're covered up by a hijab you might need supplements but should be good otherwise. So the exact opposite

Maybe my next comment will bring these outbursts to a crashing halt.

I love driving topless. I also make Vitamin D by walking barefoot on the beach. Can I interest anybody in a bloody foot picture? It's horrific.

Not giving advice other than start the conversation with your health care provider regarding having your blood level of Vitamin D checked

After that, watch this:

I get blood work done twice a year, and my Vit D is checked each time. My doctor recommended I take Vit D capsules about eight years ago. It's my understanding that older folks should have their levels checked regularly and may very well need to take a supplement.

Couldn't access the video.

Wife and I started taking 2000 IU D3 caplets with dinner early in the Covid era, since there are clinical studies showing that it increases resistance to respiratory infections, which the vid certainly is. Wife ended up having Covid in November 2020 but it was not too bad for her and she didn't transmit it to me.
Did the D3 regimen help? Maybe, but there is no way of actually knowing.

Vitamin D is a hormone, not a true vitamin. But yes, it is fat soluble, and that’s why for maximum absorption it’s good to take D3 with a healthy fat like avocado or olive oil.
A slight distinction: Vitamin D itself is not a hormone. One metabolite of Vitamin D is in a hormonal form and serves important functions. Fatty fish is an excellent source of Vitamin D from food. One of my frequent food combinations is kippers and natto. D from the fish, K2 from the natto. Pablo looks now a little green around the snout.

You can thank me later
20231105_140942.jpg

Does that look like a pill to you? I like food as food and not in pill form, thank you!

There, herring and natto. Fish for the D, natto for the K2.
With dolma and fried eggs with salsa?
Unusual combination that looks really tasty.

A slight distinction: Vitamin D itself is not a hormone. One metabolite of Vitamin D is in a hormonal form and serves important functions. Fatty fish is an excellent source of Vitamin D from food. One of my frequent food combinations is kippers and natto. D from the fish, K2 from the natto. Pablo looks now a little green around the snout.
Yes Natto is a great source of K2. There is not any doubt about that. But that does not make it any less of a disgusting slimy yet sticky and stringy regurgitated pile of seagull puke. It's not edible. Pure and simple.

I get my menaquinone from hard cheeses, medium cheeses, red meat, chicken, pastured eggs and real food. I have enough K2. I personally was not getting enough D from the silly oil capsules. Drops are the cure for me.

Again if I had no other sources, my wife would just love to see me eat natto for the 2nd time.

Weaker or stronger?
Well, it was partly sarcasm but I did have to have a stronger prescription.

In other words, I don't think they helped.

But if you have a vitamin deficiency, multi-vitamins can help.

Last edited:
Back