Viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2016 F-150 2.7 Ecoboost. I had the oil changed at the dealer at about 1850 miles. It was supposed to be 5W-30 Motorcraft Syn Blend. 150 miles later, I sucked out two quarts and put in two quarts of M1 HM 5W-30. At the 991 mile mark, I changed the oil for my road trip, and sent this sample off to Blackstone from the 991 mile oil. What do you all think about the viscosity reading?

It will only let me upload a jpeg, not pdf. Let me convert. In the meantime,
here is what I am talking about

SUS viscosity @ 210 F 51.5 should be 56-63
CIS Viscosity @ 100 C 7.62 should be 9.1-11.3

Last edited:
For Starters...You probably should have ran the Motorcraft oil for 5k and then sent it in for an analysis.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
For Starters...You probably should have ran the Motorcraft oil for 5k and then sent it in for an analysis.
I was looking specifically for fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Looks like most of my UOA' s of MC 5w30. It shears a good bit, but the samples look good otherwise.

What engine is yours in?

7.62 is too low, you're right.
Maybe a little fuel dilution, and maybe Ford put 5w20 in it as the factory fill. New engines appear to shear the VII chemicals more.

I've run it in a Mazda MZR, RENESIS, Ecoboost 2.3L and 1.6L, a 5.4L, 3.5VQ, Kia 2.0L, and a Subaru FA20. Only when tested after track use was the viscosity above 8. Again, wear metals appear unaffected.

I suspect that you got xW20 oil at the dealer, I seriously doubt you would have sheared or diluted that much with a 5W30 in so few miles!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I suspect that you got xW20 oil at the dealer, I seriously doubt you would have sheared or diluted that much with a 5W30 in so few miles!
Yes, that it what I was thinking, also. Considering it is actually only 2/3 Motorcraft(1/3 M1 HM). I had my wife's truck done at the same dealer within a couple of days of that, and I am changing the oil this week, so I am sending a sample on that out.

You have a turbo, there is a ton of stuff out there what Ford is doing with eco boost and oil. How in the world can it be 7? You engine shreaded that oil, lol. I would move over to ester based oils and stay at 5w30 if it was me. You are real smart for doing uoa's on your eco boost. Manufacturers have been appeasing the gov't with this CAFE blcrp, and that is the only reason they even would think about putting 5w20 is a twin turbo. Ram changed their oil spec for their eco diesels, Ford is spitting on new oil specs all around, you need the most hearty oil you can find, or it will not be a long lived vehicle. 7's viscosity is ridiculous, my first thought it was tranny oil, but the additive package says different, that likely was 5w20 oil your engine shreaded. Get some redline in that puppy.

Actually, this week, they are both getting an oil and filter change and 5 qts. M1 EP 5W-30 and 1 qt. M1 HM 5W-30. I am going to run that for about 2500 and get a sample. I dumped the 2016 oil(the oil this test is on) and put in M1 EP for the road trip. It and the Motorcraft in my wife's truck are getting a test.

Correction: My wife's is getting regular M1 and the HM, not EP. I am going to see if one does better. If neither of these two combos do well, I probably will go to Redline. I think the M1 will be good, though.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
7.62 is too low, you're right.
Maybe a little fuel dilution, and maybe Ford put 5w20 in it as the factory fill. New engines appear to shear the VII chemicals more.

Forgive the ignorance, but why do new engines shear more?

And what are VII chemicals?

Without knowing, from testing it, my guess on the 2.7 Ecoboost is this:
1. Fuel dilution(at least some)
2. Turbos(mechanical/heat)
3. Fairly high engine caloric output
4. Fairly mediocre oil
5. High boost a good bit of the time

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
Forgive the ignorance, but why do new engines shear more? And what are VII chemicals?

I seem to see more shearing on new engines, from looking at Used Oil Analyses (UOAs) a while. I think its because newer engines have sharper asperities, you know, surface roughness, and therefore more violent mechanical forces which actually break apart (shear) the Viscosity Index Improver polymer chemicals in the oils additive package (aka, "add pack") more so than fully broken-in engines with smoother surfaces. Really just my theory on that. Getting high shear rates over rough asperities in the boundary-lubrication part of the Stribeck curve has got to create a lot of mechanical stress on the VII chemicals. The only related VII shearing example I can think of in actual engineering practice is in the case of high-revving engines like the Honda S2000, where Honda has actually specified 10w30 oil (less VII chemicals to shear in a 10w30 vs. a 0w30 or 5w30 typically), an engine noted for very high surface shear rates internally.

https://www.oronite.com/paratone/calcviscosity.aspx for a good discussion of breaking up VII chemicals and the resultant viscosity loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back