Viscosity impact on blow-by

Status
Not open for further replies.
All things being equal would an oil with a higher viscosity reduce blow-by and thus keep the pcv valve and intake cleaner, say a 40wt vs a 30wt of the same brand and type motor oil?

Possibly. If the thicker oil is also less volatile, that will help, too.

On the other hand, thicker oil is more prone to aeration, which can cause the oil level to rise as you drive. This usually isn't an issue but it can sometimes cause excess pressure in the crankcase, which can put more vapors through the PCV.

Thicker oils are the oldest trick in the book for helping with leaks and burning.
It therefore would tend to keep your PCV and intake cleaner longer.

But I would never use a thicker oil specifically for this purpose! Investigate using a catch can - it is what I do.
A common water separator for air lines at Home Depot or Menards works well. Remove the filter, and run it BACKWARDS [flow arrows].
Cost should be under $20 for the part and barb fittings..

Originally Posted By: JAG
A study was done on this: Link , finding higher viscosity causing lower blow-by.

1977. I think oils have changed some since then.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: JAG
A study was done on this: Link , finding higher viscosity causing lower blow-by.

1977. I think oils have changed some since then.
48.gif

Sure they have. Another question is whether the laws of nature have changed.

I think it does help create a better seal. My VW gets better gas mileage using Pennzoil 5w50 than any 30 or 40 synthetic I've tried. It's been said though that VW uses low tension rings in my motor, so this may not help in all cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back