viscosity and weight to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L V8. it has 70,000 miles on it and I'm currently in the cleaning phase of Auto Rx. After that is completed I wanted to switch to synthetic (Probably Mobil 1 or Royal Purple?)

I generally drive it to/from work mostly highway about 20 miles each way. Sometimes I use it offroad (Not serious) I don't have a garage but do have a block heater. I bought the truck used at 66,500 miles; it seems to have been well maintained.

I have been using Havoline Dino (10W30) with a Napa gold filter to change the oil to this point.

My question is once I go to a synthetic; should I stick with the 10W30 or would it be better to go to something else? The spec calls for 10W30 in any temp range.

The reason I want to switch to synthetic is that I feel it would be better for the engine overall for cold starts in the winter. Northern Illinois can get pretty nasty for a few weeks usually with temps sometimes falling to close or below zero especially at night. Plus I plan on driving this well past 100K miles and feel this would help make this possible by reducing engine wear compared to regular dino oil.

Any 10w30 synthetic will work well year round.
But, I'd recommend 5w30 or 0w30 during the winter months.

Quote:

Any 10w30 synthetic will work well year round.
But, I'd recommend 5w30 or 0w30 during the winter months.

ok, thanks for the reply. That being said; at what approx temp do I go back to the 10W30?

So at (I don't know around 30 deg F. I could run 5W30 or 0W30 but then when it starts getting up to?? deg F I should switch back to 10W30?

isnt 0w30 and 10w30 pretty much the same thing during the summer? (excluding differences between oil companies). so souldn't it be better to use 0w39 year round?

Some will argue that the 0w and 5w oils have excessive VII/PPD's in the oil. The synthetic 10w30's supposedly can be blended without excessive additives needed to meet required CCV/MRV specs.

If you change the oil 3-4 times a year, just anticipate the weather. Because winter is coming, my cars are all getting 0w or 5w oils at the current/next OCI. In the spring/summer, I'll move up.

Yep, you can use a 0w30 or 0w40 oil year round. Some are rumored to shear a little because of the previously mentioned additive dosing. Not an issue if you change your oil a couple of times a year. It is an issue if you try to use the oil forever. I usually use 5w40 year round. But, I've had a couple engines that prefer the M1 5w30 during the cold winter freeze. I don't garage my vehicles and none have block/oil heaters.

I also find that synthetics work so much better then mineral oils in the winter, even with the same bottle specs. I ran M1 15w50 in a PRV 3.0 v6 year round. It actually hated(much noise/clatter) 10w30 and 5w30 mineral oils in the winter. Unless you're SantaClaus, the difference with the full synthetics in the 0w, 5w, or 10w isn't much of an issue. But, I find it noticeable with the mineral oils.

...........early--late
summer 15w or 10w
fall...... 10w or 5w
winter.... 0w
spring ....5w or 10w

visit weather.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back