Viscosity and Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
offtopic.gif

QuadDriver,
I didn't intend to reply regading this issue again, because I felt this was a lost cause. However, I need to clarify a few things, because I don't like to be misquoted.

I dont understand....you first told me that there were a plethora of big merc, porsche engines on the road - what ever a plethora is. Then you told me there were what 50% hipo luxury cars and you TOLD ME to 'look up the numbers' I did, and they backed what I first stated - the europeans drive just as mundane cars as we do, 'cept they have 1/3 the engine size.

A plethora is a "large amount." Yes, there's a large amount of MB, BMW, etc. If you consider the population of Germany, Germans drive a proportionally larger amount of German cars than lets's say Americans. Nowhere did I say they drove 50% hipo luxuray cars there. That's misrepresentiation on your part (Actually, in the rural town of Dingolfing, almost everyone does drive a BMW, because practically the whole town's employed in the BMW plant). If you had ANY clue, then you'd know that most people do NOT buy the luxury version of a German car there. I bet that half of all MB are bread and butter versions, not as meager equipped as the omnipresent MB taxi, but a far cry from a fully loaded version. An MB or BMW is not necessarily a status symbol in Germany. For crying out loud, the 3 series is a popular police car! Mundane or not, that wasn't the point in our little argument. You just keep shifting the topic from speed limits to small engines to tires to whatever it takes to avoid digging yourself in any deeper.

then you tell me you see what you saw (which I dont doubt) and we got onto the topic of A/S tires somehow not existing , and when I mentioned the european advertising from 2 companies that do biz there, you go off on me again... whats up with that?

M+S tires are NOT the same thing as M+S tires in Germany. M+S tires are full-blown snow tires in Germany (I will not speak for other European countries for an admitted lack of knowledge). Read German car magazines, I recommend 'Auto Motor Sport' or the cheap "AutoBild" (You can get both at Borders and Barnes and Nobles), and see their tire tests. You might see an occasional all season tire, but it won't be rated M+S, and it won't get anythig than a marginal rating. Just because a company offers a product in different markets, doesn't mean the product has everywhere the same specs or the same product line.

No, I have not been to germany. That is neither a badge of honor nor a dirge of shame.

Well, you were the one who used your German friend as authoritative support for your false claims (Despite the fact I had said the same thing she said!!!). I never said having been there was a badge of honor, but speaking based on hearsay is arrogant and silly.

however, being a 'car guy' one who does not just go 'coool man a chevelle heh heh', I follow them worldwide, memorize silly things like shop manuals and tsbs and occasionally take them apart and reassemble them - sometimes even using ALL the parts! Somewhere else around I here I threw out the name 'lupo' and from the responses I get giving grief, Id bet that WITHOUT everyone firing up a google seach or equiv, no one would know what the heck I was talking about.

It's "Lupo", and yes, I'm familiar with it while you've only heard of it. You just admitted to silly name-dropping, and to what point (A Lupo, I shiver in me boots, laddie!)? Bait? You want to drag this "discussion" out endlessly, don't you? I pity you.

You said the facts speak for themselves. Well yes, I agree wholeheartedly about that.

Fact is you speak about things you shouldn't be speaking about unless you know about them. Being an "expert" in one field doesn't make you automatically an "expert" in some other area.
tongue.gif

PS: Feel free to keep going with this, shifting the topic on your own accord. As the kids say, "talk to the hand!"
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I think we need more data. I recenly put in Castrol TWS 10-60 and the car simply runs more powerfully than ever. Runs right up to redline with so much more smoothness and

now see THAT **begs** a test on the chassis dyno! they are not that expensive, how about we set up a paypal to fund one?

Doesn anyone know if torque is increased esp. low-end with higher viscosity oils? Just like opening the exhaust causes an increase in HP, but at the expense of low-end torque...wonder if the same is happening with thicker viscosity...

Got the 10-60 from the local BMW dealer...he gives me a 15% discount so it was cheaper than Redline. Where are the 30 weight UOA's that show Fe at 1-2 levels (I must have missed these). I definately need to put my money where my mouth is and do a UOA on the 10-60...(I'm definately a virgin at UOA's
grin.gif
).

QD, Moribundman,

I didn't expect to get in the middle of this
dunno.gif
but to provide a "third party" look: I have lived in Europe twice (Germany and Italy). While there are indeed Bimmers and Mercedes on the road, they are not typically the high end models (many taxis are Mercedes). The disappointment of my life was that I didn't see Porsches and Ferraris everywhere...more like Opels, Fiats, European Fords, Citroens, Renaults (not that these are bad cars). I, in fact, see more of the exotics, by far, in the LA Basin (esp Newport Beach) when I am there. Yes, of course, every so often the left lane gets blitzed by Hans or Luigi or Pierre in their exoticar but they are the exceptions. I have driven the Autobahn, the Autoroute, and the Autostrada in about 10 different countries, and in and aound Zuffenhausen and Maranello (Porsche and Ferrari factories, respectivly) and I can tell you, while they drive faster in Europe [and better...well, in Italy, "better" has to be qualified] they don't necessarily (or even often) "drive exotically."
frown.gif

quote:

Doesn anyone know if torque is increased esp. low-end with higher viscosity oils? Just like opening the exhaust causes an increase in HP, but at the expense of low-end torque...wonder if the same is happening with thicker viscosity...

I seriously seriously doubt it, because with a thicker oil the engine has to work harder at any rpm. Comparing it to how an exhaust system works makes no sense, as the reasoning behind that has to do with backpressure in the engine, and with a freer flowing exhaust with less backpressure, it'll cause the car to lose some low end torque in some cases. Totally different scenario there. If you run a thinner oil you will make more power, that's a virtual guarantee.

I don't agree completetly. I think you would need to stipulate that running thinner oils of the same quality may cause you to get more power...eg. synthetic 30 weight vs. conventional oil. Otherwise, I will content if you will that not all oils are alike and not all synthetics are alike....and on that note, a higher quality oil albeit at a higher viscosity eg. 40 vs. 30 can provide more power and fuel economy. A good oil of note is Delvac 1 5-40 that some have reported a fuel economy increase over M-1 5-30 because it IS a better quality lubricant. I believe the same to be true with Euro. lubes....

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I seriously seriously doubt it, because with a thicker oil the engine has to work harder at any rpm. Comparing it to how an exhaust system works makes no sense, as the reasoning behind that has to do with backpressure in the engine, and with a freer flowing exhaust with less backpressure, it'll cause the car to lose some low end torque in some cases. Totally different scenario there. If you run a thinner oil you will make more power, that's a virtual guarantee.

as an addenum....of all the actual dyno (not dino!) tests I have ever seen, the difference of light oil to heavy oil or syn oil to dino oil IS measurable, but inside the limit of error for a dyno, and in all cases, so small as to likely be unnoticable by yourself. Unfortunately it has never been as dramatic as the addition of a magnetic fuel saver! (according to the ads)

quote:

I don't agree completetly. I think you would need to stipulate that running thinner oils of the same quality may cause you to get more power...eg. synthetic 30 weight vs. conventional oil. Otherwise, I will content if you will that not all oils are alike and not all synthetics are alike....and on that note, a higher quality oil albeit at a higher viscosity eg. 40 vs. 30 can provide more power and fuel economy. A good oil of note is Delvac 1 5-40 that some have reported a fuel economy increase over M-1 5-30 because it IS a better quality lubricant. I believe the same to be true with Euro. lubes....

Yes, I am in agreement with this. I meant that for example if you chose between 5w40 Redline and 5w20 Redline, you'd make more power with the 5w20. I can imagine it would be possible to make more power with a 10w40 synthetic compared to a 5w30 dino oil. I'm simply talking about oils of the same type.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
QD,

How can you diss a device that saves fuel and controls arthritis pain?
lol.gif

offtopic.gif
yanno, heh heh, as we REALLY head to the ditch here....I knew a guy at ibm that SWORE on those little magnets you put in your shoes and carry in your pockets. every time I hear stories about that stuff I imagine I hear eastern indian sitaur music, and see a bunch of candles around....

quote:

Originally posted by QuadDriver:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
QD,

How can you diss a device that saves fuel and controls arthritis pain?
lol.gif

offtopic.gif
yanno, heh heh, as we REALLY head to the ditch here....I knew a guy at ibm that SWORE on those little magnets you put in your shoes and carry in your pockets. every time I hear stories about that stuff I imagine I hear eastern indian sitaur music, and see a bunch of candles around....

QD,

Don't apologize, I am beginning to think heading "to the ditch" is one of the things that gives this board its energy for talking about the topical stuff; on your second comment, I understand, after I installed my magnet all I could get on the radio was Ravi Shankar, but I felt GREAT!!!!

quote:

Back to the subject, less the nitpicking by Quaddrriver.

Increasing the viscosity increases the film thickness of the hydrodynamic film separating the metal surfaces. Increasing the viscosity by one SAE weight, increases the film thickness over the previous weight by about 0.75 to 1.5 um. In other words, going from an SAE 20 to an SAE 30 gives you about 0.75 to 1.5 um increase in film thickness.

However, increasing the viscosity results in larger "viscous drag," which means that more hp is being used to overrcome this drag, resulting in an increased heating of the oil film, and a subsequent loss in hp, and fuel economy.

Many engine manufacturers, especially GM, are using special capacitive sensors to measure oil film between dynamically rotating and sliding parts, so the actual oil film is measurable and quantifiable.

Today's oils are generally thinner oils which use improved barrier additives to combat wear and extreme pressure galling when the hydrodynamic film is ruptured and the lubrication resorts to the "boundary lubrication" regime.

The oil's specified viscosity is a function of operating temperature, engine clearances, and expected additive package.

Terry's recommendation is right on. Start out with a 30 weight viscosity (I prefere 10W30's for daily drivers), and then experiment using a UOA's (unless you're in a warranty situation with specific limits).

Thanks kule!
cheers.gif

quote:

Increasing the viscosity by one SAE weight, increases the film thickness over the previous weight by about 0.75 to 1.5 um.

Buster, what's the basic film thickness of various weights? Without knowing that, the film thickness increase from one weight to the next doesn't tell me much.

PS: MolaKule asked me some time ago to give him the clearance sepcs for my Audi engine, and I posted them. I still haven't found out if those specs pointed at an engine with tight or loose clearances, and how this would relate to oil choice.

quote:

Sorry guys, but my granddaughter's arrival has slowed the study somewhat

No problem. Family first.....oil can wait. Unless your Patman.
grin.gif

'Kule,

You did get her a tiny little T-shirt with some oil company logo on it, right? Gotta start 'em off right!

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Nah, but I'm going to get her a little BITOG tee shirt!
grin.gif

Good idea, my little guy loves his:

-

[ July 14, 2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back