Viscosities of the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
What do you guys think the viscosities of the future will be? (say 5-10 years from now)

I predict we'll see a lot more oils coming in 0w20, 0w30 and 0w40 in the future.

quote:

So in the long run, if the US ever goes to longer drains, like Europe, the trend will have to be to go back to 40wts. I imagine, unless the technology allows a 20wt. to go very long distances.

This is from my Amsoil 20wt post. Not sure it's correct, but just a thought.

Agreed. In fact, right now you'll find more of the OW-30 Castrol (German) on the shelves of Wall-Mart at Hwy401 and Winston Churchill Blvd. in Mississauga, ON. I counted 21 bottles. This might now be a regular item at WM so I wouldn't rush out to get some. The price of 6.66 gives me the creeps.
confused.gif

Patnam,

LOL buy all those Castrol Syntec 0W30 Deutch stuff and become an online dealer for all the yanks here. *LOL* can't beat having the USD$ wherever you are.

food for thought-

In the future, breakthroughs in battery and fuel cell technology will obsolete the internal combustion engine and motor oils along with it. Our cars will run on electric motors that take a little grease once in a while--that's it.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
What do you guys think the viscosities of the future will be? (say 5-10 years from now)

I predict we'll see a lot more oils coming in 0w20, 0w30 and 0w40 in the future.

Due to ever increasing CAFE restrictions and ever
increasing numbers of SUVs, I predict 0W-10 and
OW-5 viscosities. What'll be protecting the
surfaces?

MOLY!!!

crushedcar.gif

banghead.gif

gr_eek2.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

[ March 27, 2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: J ]

quote:

Originally posted by MTEPs:
Agreed. In fact, right now you'll find more of the OW-30 Castrol (German) on the shelves of Wall-Mart at Hwy401 and Winston Churchill Blvd. in Mississauga, ON. I counted 21 bottles. This might now be a regular item at WM so I wouldn't rush out to get some. The price of 6.66 gives me the creeps.
confused.gif

It gives me the creeps too, but not badly enough to start paying $15 per quart for Redline!
smile.gif

Thanks for the tip, that Walmart is just 5min from my house! I know where I'll be shopping this Saturday morning.
smile.gif

Hmm interesting question, I see several things happening.

I see our current methods of transportation changing "little" in the next decade, but changing none the less. perhaps within the next 10 years well see Varible transmission tech mature (and become good!) and perhaps start to see the integration of feul cell/E85 (85% methanol, 15% petro) vehicles. maybe some more desiels as well.

The push for fuel cell tech is refreshing, but at the same time I see it as being a almost unessasairly complicated process compared to what can we done right now to improve fuel economy and minimize our dependance on oil. One of those things would be to improve battery technologies so that pure electrics become more of a option, and to convert more and more vehiciles to a ethanol/methanol blend. this would allow current infasctructure to remain the same with little modifications.

Ultimately though, running your car on hydrogen and producing H2O has a byproduct is a fairly attractive thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back