Kinematic Viscosities of 0w and 5W Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
With winter coming I thought I'd take a look at the Kinematic Viscosities at 40 C and 100 C typically reported on VOAs for a random selection of 0w and 5W motor oils.They are Pennzoil Ultra and and Pennzoil Euro products, some of which are oils which have $10 per jug rebates in Canada. ( at least until year end.) The columns are kinematic viscosity at 40 C and 100 C in Centistokes. One thing obvious is that viscosity of a 0w oil at 40 degrees C is still several times higher than the viscosity of a Xw40 weight oil at 100 C. Enjoy.

KV40 (cSt) KV100 (cSt)

Ultra 0w20 46.5 8.8
Ultra 0w40 74.9 13.7
Ultra 5w30 56.3 10.3

Euro LX 0w30 58.7 11.9
Euro L 5w30 69.0. 12.1
Euro 0w40 72.2 13.0
Euro. 5w40 80.8. 13.3

Edit: I corrected the Euro 0w40 and added Euro 5w40

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
With winter coming I thought I'd take a look at the Kinematic Viscosities at 40 C and 100 C typically reported on VOAs for a random selection of 0w and 5W motor oils.They are Pennzoil Ultra and and Pennzoil Euro products, some of which are oils which have $10 per jug rebates in Canada. ( at least until year end.) The columns are kinematic viscosity at 40 C and 100 C in Centistokes. One thing obvious is that viscosity of a 0w oil at 40 degrees C is still several times higher than the viscosity of a 40 weight oil at 100 C. Enjoy.

KV40 (cSt) KV100 (cSt)

Ultra 0w20 46.5 8.8
Ultra 0w40 74.9 13.7
Ultra 5w30 56.3 10.3

Euro LX 0w30 58.7 11.9
Euro L 5w30 69.0. 12.1
Euro 5w40 72.2 13.0

What's missing is the Ultra 0W30 (if they offer it?). I'm guessing it would have said something like 10.0 @ 100cst, slightly thinner than the Euro 5W30.

If that's the case, then look at the wide gap between the 'guessing' Ultra 0W30 10 cst and Ultra 0W40 cst of 13.7.

What am I missing? The 0W and the 5W viscosity ratings are for cold starts at well below freezing temps.

Originally Posted by CT8
What am I missing? The 0W and the 5W viscosity ratings are for cold starts at well below freezing temps.

Yep, but let's take this in another direction. Both GM and Honda spec a 0w for most of their engines, even for use in Idaho and Arizona.

Last edited:
I used Mobil 1 0w-30 when first introduced in my 79 ford F150 with the 6 cyl. engine. But then I used M1 5w-20 in it as well.

be aware that cold spec @ 40C is 104 F for a NEW oil at testing time + its all downhill from there as anything BUT a real synthetic group IV + V thicken fairly quick + as the pour point depressants decline things get worse, so my take is DO NOT use anything but real synthetics in very cold areas + start with fresh oils when your season turns cold!! advertising pushes fake group III refined CRUDE synthetics as close to PAO' s but are they really!!!

Originally Posted by benjy
be aware that cold spec @ 40C is 104 F for a NEW oil at testing time + its all downhill from there as anything BUT a real synthetic group IV + V thicken fairly quick + as the pour point depressants decline things get worse, so my take is DO NOT use anything but real synthetics in very cold areas + start with fresh oils when your season turns cold!! advertising pushes fake group III refined CRUDE synthetics as close to PAO' s but are they really!!!

How much does it thicken and how soon?? Is there a graph you can point me to for studying because my understanding of PPD's is they're fairly stable but I could be wrong

Your claim (s) is fairly ambiguous, and somewhat not believable...so I just wanted to read up some on this phenomenon for my own edification.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
How much does it thicken and how soon?? Is there a graph you can point me to for studying because my understanding of PPD's is they're fairly stable but I could be wrong

Your claim (s) is fairly ambiguous, and somewhat not believable...so I just wanted to read up some on this phenomenon for my own edification.

He's probably referring to the fact that per API standards (ASTM D7320?) the winter rating is allowed to slip a grade for "aged" oil. It might be ASTM D7528, I don't have access to the standards anymore unfortunately.

I've done at a lot of starts at -30 C and yes, I've noticed a smoother and faster turn over with a fresh 5w30 Synthetic than an "aged oil" of the same type.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by CT8

Yep, but let's take this in another direction. Both GM and Honda spec a 0w for most of their engines, even for use in Idaho and Arizona.

Car makers are moving to 0w20 oils for one reason ... fuel economy. A typical 0w20 oil will be slightly less thick than a comparable 5w20 oil at all temps below 100*c. There is a cold start test component in the CAFE test protocol ( 20*F ), and the slight increase in fuel economy using the 0w20 is worth it to the car maker.

And car makers are required to list the viscosity used in the testing on the oil fill cap and in the owners manual. That is why the old school viscosity chart showing different viscosities for different temperatures has gone away in North America.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

He's probably referring to the fact that per API standards (ASTM D7320?) the winter rating is allowed to slip a grade for "aged" oil. It might be ASTM D7528, I don't have access to the standards anymore unfortunately.

I don't have access either. But the aged v. new is hardly a new contemplation. Not at least, I bet, since the early 80's when cold weather was killing engines. And base oil refining and additives/PPD's are soooo much better. if I'm not mistaken, some of today's Grp2 and 3's have great very low performance naturally, due to the low wax content. And there are literally millions of miles being logged on Grp2 and 3 pcmo's and HDEO oils during the winter months... where's the dearth of engine failures?

I suspect the standards and ratings have ranges built in for (many) a reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back