Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Oil Lifespan and How to Use Thumb Oil Cans

I'm wondering what the lifespan of Singer sewing machine oil is, whether stored in an airtight can or a can open to the air. If air spoils it, what's the reaction involved. I attached some of my newly acquired Singer sewing machine oil cans.

Also, I have a couple Singer thumb oil cans, but can't find any information here, on Google, or on YouTube on how to use them.
The little one (3" tall, 2" in diameter and shown in the second photo) drips oil when turned upside down and with or without squeezing the bottom. The bottom doesn't make a thumping noise when pushed.
The big one (5" tall and third photo) only delivers oil when the bottom is pushed and makes a thumping noise.
I've cleaned both out and the nozzles are clear.
Thanks

3 pack reverse.jpeg

3x2 oiler.jpeg

5.5 In Oiler.jpeg

I have the thumb can in the middle, mine also drips without pressing the button. I use it anyway because it was my great grandmother's.

Its primary use has been to oil my air tools, where a little dripping doesn't matter and I can give them a solid "click". In fact I just used it last Saturday for my 3/8 air ratchet which hasn't been used in at least 10 years. The ratchet worked perfectly on some rusty caliper bolts. I credit its longevity to that oil can which I used regularly back when I fixed cars for a living.

I wouldn't use that old oil. Those are cool museum pieces though!

Is the oil still clear, thin and does it smell correct? If so, it's probably as good as it's ever been. I have some vintage 3 in 1 oil, from when it was sold in a glass container with a screw on lid, that is still in perfect condition.

Those singer oil cans and oilers are pretty valuable collector items. Do you have a machine to go with it?

Here's my Singer oil in it's original home. This is a Model 221 Featherweight made in 1947. My aunt bought it new and it ended up with my mother sometime in a 1960's. I ended up with it after my mother passed in 2020. There's a box full of attachments as well.

It's unrestored except for the case clasps. For some reason the "tongues" are always broken off. I replaced them with originals (it took a while to find replacements). The machine needs to be gone thru and I have to do some electrical diagnosis as it doesn't run.

20240517_141711_resized.jpg

Back