Which oil to use for 3 different machine??? Yamaha, Kawasaki and Polaris?

I have an 06’ Yamaha Grizzly 660, 07’ Kawasaki Brute Force 750, 19’ Polaris Ranger 900 and a 20’ Polaris Sportsman 450. I realize the Polaris front differentials require me to use their fluid and the Brute Force has to use their wet brake fluid for the rear differential, but I would like to find an oil that I can use on all 4 machines. Particularly the engines. Something off the shelf at places like Walmart. I can get the oil filters there as well. I am considering using Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. It Jaso rated so it should be ok for the Grizzly’s wet clutch, but in not sure about running it in the other 3 engines. I like that it comes in 2 1/2 gal jugs and is priced fairly well. What are your thoughts on running this in all 4 engines?

Pretty much any 10W40 motorcycle oil. I see that the Rotella meets the JASO MA and MA2 requirements. You may be fine using it. For me, I’ll stick with Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil for my Mule.

Last edited:
I'm not yet convinced that Rot T6 5-40 is a good solution. Used it for the first change on my Can Am F3 and the shifting up/down "seems" a bit notchy. I say seems as shifting is hard to quantify. I plan to shortly change to Amsoil 10-40 and will stick with that from now on. I realize that you are running several machines and changing to an oil that is roughly $12 quart would be an expensive proposition. Give the T6 a try and see how it goes.

I have had a Brute Force, a Grizz, RZR900, Teryx and now a RZR Turbo. Also 2 CRF450s

All have had T6 5w40 and sometimes T4 15w40 in the earlier models. Never any issues. Fram XG filters can be used for many drain and fills. If you are a must change filter with every OCI then its not worthwhile.

FWIW, you can use Universal Tractor Fluid in the front diff, and 75-90 gear oil in the rear diff of the Polaris. I run synchromesh or a synthetic 30 wt motor oil in the tranny (850) and chain case (570). The only picky drivetrain part of the Polaris is the Hilliard front diffs requiring friction modified UTF.

Back