Video: How much does duel injection help carbon build-up

I know they have it since 2005. They also had IS250 since then which is biggest offender of all when it comes to CBU.

BMW since N54 doesn’t have those issues nor it is necessary to go dual injection. N55 while nit having Atkinson cycle, don’t have CBU issues nor N20.

B46/48 and 58 do have Atkinson cycle, but I would say for different reason.
the audi EA113 2.0T is the biggest offender of all when it comes to CBU, then the 1st gen ea888 engine.

Nah, Lexus managed to out do it. But, it is too slow to notice the difference anyway.
That's because Toyota has been doing mass-production GDI a lot longer than the Germans, even though GDI was invented by Germans.

Technically, Mitsubishi has been doing it longer than Toyota. But Toyota, inside of new engines from scratch, first retrofitted existing engines with GDI.

So, Toyota solved that problem long before Audi, who popularized the FSI with its F1-derived marketing.

Also, BMW is more Miller cycle, but with a turbo

Last edited:
That's because Toyota has been doing mass-production GDI a lot longer than the Germans, even though GDI was invented by Germans.

Technically, Mitsubishi has been doing it longer than Toyota. But Toyota, inside of new engines from scratch, first retrofitted existing engines with GDI.

So, Toyota solved that problem long before Audi, who popularized the FSI with its F1-derived marketing.

Also, BMW is more Miller cycle, but with a turbo
Lol, they were introduced around same time. VW had 2.0 FSI out in late 2001 on Europe.
Volvo and Mitsubishi introduced GDI. But it had horrendous NOx issues.

Toyota resolved problem in one engine. On another, they just proved that they cannot resolve PCV issues.

Yes, BMW is more Miller cycle.

Lol, they were introduced around same time. VW had 2.0 FSI out in late 2001 on Europe.
Volvo and Mitsubishi introduced GDI. But it had horrendous NOx issues.

Toyota resolved problem in one engine. On another, they just proved that they cannot resolve PCV issues.

Yes, BMW is more Miller cycle.
Try 1996, with a Stratified burn mode. Still longer than VW had FSI, back when the "S" meant Stratified, not yet changed to straight. The downside of stratified mixture is NOx emissions.

Toyota gave Lexus D4-S on more than just the 2GR-FSE, they also put it on the UR-series V8 at the same time, since Lexus didn't have too many engines at that time period.

I watched that video. I couldn't tolerate having carbon buildup like that. It's looking like if I ever purchase another car or truck, I might have to buy a used one that still has multi-port fuel injection, no cylinder deactivation, and no variable cam timing.

I'd like to see this same video done on a larger scale involving more Ford and some Toyota engines. Maybe FordTechMakuloco can team up with Car Care Nut and do a comparison video.

One of the differences between the two versions of Ecoboost engines in the video is that the Gen1 engine spent most of its time running at best SN grade oil, while the Gen2 engine probably spent most of its time running SP grade oil. Since one of the goals of SP was to reduce IVD, this alone could account for the difference observed in the video.

Try 1996, with a Stratified burn mode. Still longer than VW had FSI, back when the "S" meant Stratified, not yet changed to straight. The downside of stratified mixture is NOx emissions.

Toyota gave Lexus D4-S on more than just the 2GR-FSE, they also put it on the UR-series V8 at the same time, since Lexus didn't have too many engines at that time period.
Who Mitsubishi and Volvo? Yes, it was introduced in 1998 in Carisma and S40.

Mitsu and Isuzu introduced GDI in Japan first, and oddly enough the last “real” Isuzu SUVs(Rodeo/VehiCross and Trooper) sold in the US before becoming rebranded GMs had GDI. D4-S came later but made it to US shores in the 2006 Lexus IS/GS.

However, the quality of fuel is important to xDI - Europe for decades had “better” fuel in both octane and sulfur. Japan also had decent fuel quality but the OEs did engineer for lower-quality fuels. CARB specs for gasoline has lower sulfur content than EPA specs.

I recently did spark plugs on a Lexus RX450h with the 2GR-FXS. The car sees a lot of Uber. The intake valves from what I see looked pretty clean despite getting fueled up with the cheapest swill(Safeway) possible. I do add in a bottle of Regaine or Techron at every other OCI. I do hear the direct injectors pulse at idle, I was viewing the live data with a scan tool(ThinkDiag2) and saw the ECU tends to fire the DI injectors only at higher speeds. Else, it was in mixed mode a majority of the time.

Mitsu and Isuzu introduced GDI in Japan first, and oddly enough the last “real” Isuzu SUVs(Rodeo/VehiCross and Trooper) sold in the US before becoming rebranded GMs had GDI. D4-S came later but made it to US shores in the 2006 Lexus IS/GS.

However, the quality of fuel is important to xDI - Europe for decades had “better” fuel in both octane and sulfur. Japan also had decent fuel quality but the OEs did engineer for lower-quality fuels. CARB specs for gasoline has lower sulfur content than EPA specs.

I recently did spark plugs on a Lexus RX450h with the 2GR-FXS. The car sees a lot of Uber. The intake valves from what I see looked pretty clean despite getting fueled up with the cheapest swill(Safeway) possible. I do add in a bottle of Regaine or Techron at every other OCI. I do hear the direct injectors pulse at idle, I was viewing the live data with a scan tool(ThinkDiag2) and saw the ECU tends to fire the DI injectors only at higher speeds. Else, it was in mixed mode a majority of the time.
You must of missed me saying Mitsubishi was doing it before Toyota in post #24

CARB gas is for their reformulated gas, which is why CA gas is so expensive, despite not having the highest gas tax in the nation. Since 2017, the EPA mandated gas is 10 ppm sulfur, with reformulated at 20 ppm max, so the EPA mandate exceeds CARB... but there's more.. such as the Reid Vapor Pressure reduction in CARB gasoline.

Do you have any pics of the plugs ? How many miles were on it when changed ? Thanks

You would like to think a good oil, as well as keeping up on regular oil changes could help. It's what ever can vaporize and/or aerosol out of the oil and combustion process that is causing the build-up in the first place.
CBU is a function (a result, more accurately described) of a combination of things:
- what oil is used; probably a lessor factor, but something with a higher NOACK score could help reduce the issue
- what PCV system is like; how well designed, prone to clogging, proper draining, etc?
- design of the intake system; relative intake air velocity, types of angles involved, materials used, etc
- quality of fuel used; top tier?, bargain basement?, etc

So many inputs into the equation, it's hard to pinpoint if the lube chosen would make a sigificant or insignificant difference.

it wouldnt happen if the vales got hot enough... exhaust valves don't have the build up do they?
It doesn't happen on the exhaust valves because the PVC vapors are burned during combustion. Soot particles don't stick to valves nearly as bad.
On the intake side, they are still cool vapors looking for a place to land, become heat-soaked and coke something up. Gelatinous goopy residual oil vapors love to stick to stuff.

Dual injection won’t stop or prevent the carbon buildup.
Unless the indirect injection is a water mister

Then you can both increase fuel economy, performance and completely eliminate carbon buildup and NOX emissions
but adding water to a freezeproof expansion bottle would be too hard for most Americans to do every few weeks

Back