Video card memory lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I only just replaced my 9800 XT several months ago.

My first Windows-based gaming computer had an ATI Rage Pro AGP. Before that, it was DOS computers, the best of which had a 1 MB VESA local bus graphics card...

I actually recall having a 486 based machine with this:

VESA Local Bus

I had a VGA or was it SVGA graphics card as well as a disk controller on that bus.

The ISA slots were used for slower things such as serial, parallel, joystick and sound cards.

From the Matrox family, I've owned a couple of Mystiques, one of the originals and an updated Mystique 220 I got used.

Any one remember the ISA bus based Trident 8900C? That's my first VGA card and it had 1MB (mega byte, not giga byte) of RAM.

Color!!!

Originally Posted By: toytundranator
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/graphics_extravaganza_ultimate_gpu_retrospective?page=0%2C0

My first video card was a ATI 9800 PCI when I got into the computer gaming scene. Was okay but the PCI bus would get flooded. Whenver I approach a graphic intensive area it would slow down.

Mine was a 512K ATI ISA card in my 386 and it could do 640x480 at 256 colours.
LOL.gif
We were flying in my Windows 3.1

Yes, Trident! You could buy them at computer shows or from the Computer Shopper. Once we saw Windows & OS/2 in 256 color...well...that changed our outlook on what to use as background BMP files for the desktop....Blondes or Brunettes?

I think I spent $200 on a Hercules 2MB card back in '94 or '95. It worked with any OS at the time and played all the popular games A-OK.

The one thing I remember about Number Nine, besides that their cards were excellent, was that they were huge Beatles fans.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Wow, I had a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000.

Of course I've also owned PCs with:
Hercules Graphics Adapter

My first PC, an 8088 had Hercules on-board and could be switched from Hercules high-res monochrome to CGA with a toggle switch on the back of the PC.

My 286 had Cirrus Logic

My 386 had Trident, 512KB

My 486 had Cirrus Logic on-board with 2MB of Graphics RAM

My Pentium 266 in my Toshiba had the PC-Chips (Intel) 65555 adapter with 4MB of Video RAM.

In there somewhere was an 8MB Voodoo2 (SLI baby!!!)

I also had an NVidia RIVA 128ZX in a PII 450, then a TNT2, 32MB IIRC, though might have been 16.

And a Matrox Millenium in there as well somewhere, another PII.

Followed by a Hercules (after they started integrating NVidia GPU's) GeForce 256 64MB card, then a GeForce2 GTS

Then an ATI Radeon 7-series, followed by an 9600XT, which was then replaced by an X700.

Which brings us to my current card, an 8800GTS 512.

Probably missed some in there too
wink.gif

Your old Voodoo card did it have the external video loopback connector to go from the video card into the Voodoo?

That was technology eh?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Your old Voodoo card did it have the external video loopback connector to go from the video card into the Voodoo?

That was technology eh?

Yessir, ran two of them at one point in SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back