VERY Short Winter Trip on Summer Tires

My Challenger Hellcat with Michelin PS4s tires gets stored in my garage from early November to late March here in mid-Michigan so one of my JGC's gets parked outside. A neighbor that leaves for Florida at the end of December has graciously offered the empty space in her garage. She lives about 900 feet away. Should I be concerned with possible damage to the tires with a very short and very slow drive to her house? Any worries about cracking rubber?

What is the temperature during the drive?

While PS4S are not Cup (street tire vs track tire) I would avoid driving in very cold weather and no sun.

Krzyś

My Challenger Hellcat with Michelin PS4s tires gets stored in my garage from early November to late March here in mid-Michigan so one of my JGC's gets parked outside. A neighbor that leaves for Florida at the end of December has graciously offered the empty space in her garage. She lives about 900 feet away. Should I be concerned with possible damage to the tires with a very short and very slow drive to her house? Any worries about cracking rubber?
No.

An astonishing number of people run around on summer tires all winter. I'm sure your tires can make it 900 feet.

Maybe not if there is any incline and snow (the powdery kind) or ice?

Is neighbour's garage heated?
You probably need to pump up the tires to MAX sidewall pressure for storage too.

Krzyś

I assumed the cracking was the cheaper brands. Would a Michelin really have any possibility of cracking in whatever cold weather you put it in?

Here is info about track Michelin tires:

"Do not use, store, handle or ship MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport Cup 2 R tires at ambient temperatures below -7°C (20°F). Under these conditions the tire components can crack."

PS4S and PS5 do not have such warning.

Krzyś

PS4S and PS5 do not have such warning.
Wonder where Tire Rack got their info on the PS4S:
TireRack said:
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
They include these blurbs on many of the max perf summer tires they sell, including my Conti ECS.

A guy owns a Hellcat a few miles from me and has taken me for some rides in his Hellcat and it puts a smile on my face every time. My wife asks me I I am going to buy one and I say nope the tires do not last .

Back