verizon's acquisition of tracfone

Some MVNOs specialize in international calls. For example a standard feature of Red Pocket is unlimited calling to 80 countries, including Indonesia.
How much in taxes and fees does one pay with Red Pocket, say on the $20 plan? I realize it may be state dependent.

Have to make sure I get something CDMA else there is no coverage out here. So I did that, have an iPhone 6S. [My first phone was a GSM by accident and so for the first few years I owned a phone that didn't work within a 20 mile radius of home. Oops.]

I suspect the problem area just lacks towers. Lots of deadzones around here. Maybe I get the roaming message when there is only one tower being heard? no idea. Sometimes just trying to make the call several times "fixes" it, other times I just give up. It's the town over so I usually get lucky and don't have to worry about it, but sometimes it's just handy to have a phone, ya know.
Years ago, I was on the OLD ATT which used CDMA. Than Cingular bought them out and switched to GSM. Then Cingular was bought out by the NEW ATT and stayed with GSM. Had good coverage everywhere. I Stayed with (New) ATT but they would not work with me on price for my Three cell lines.

Switched to T-Mobil. Now I get everything below at half the price I was paying with ATT. Now with
T-Mobil, THREE Lines,
Unlimited Talk,
Unlimited Text,
Unlimited Data.
$90, which is HALF what I was paying ATT. I’ve. Been told that I can get it (T-Mobil) even cheaper, but I’m so happy with the service, I stay with them.
BTW: Coverage is 98% of ATT. When driving to Roswell NM, only one short ten miles stretch with no coverage and one stretch where I roam. (T-Mobil does not charge me for the roaming).

Sprint and TMobile merged 15 years ago and to the OP, yes, you will be moved to Verizon at some point in time.
How much in taxes and fees does one pay with Red Pocket, say on the $20 plan? I realize it may be state dependent.
Redpocket, no fees maybe small required tax.
We have through Red Pocket;
3 lines, unlimited text, talk, 10 Gb of high speed per line (30Gb), actual monthly payment of $70.94 for ALL three lines combined. To be clear, our cost is $70.94 actual payment per month. That is $23.67 per line, per month, no contract, cancel whenever you want. We use ATT service on red pocket for many, many, many years now.

Here is more condensed version on the merger of Tracphon and Verizon = https://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-buying-tracfone-faq-how-will-it-affect-customers

Last edited:
I use total wireless which is tracfone and already have vz towers and data
81+ tax for 3 lines and 60GB data.

expecting no disruption.. they raise prices I got other options if its more than a couple bux.
Us too, 100 bucks for 4 lines of unlimited everything. I think they start to throttle at 100G

I listen to the Kidd Kraddick morning show on my way to work, and one of the hosts, without divulging the name of the company, said his cell carrier was taken over by another carrier yesterday, and his network connection went away. He has to go into "the store" and sign up for another plan before his phone will work.

Having worked for a landline company that was bought by Verizon, I have to say that this is typical of their integration methods.

Reactions: Y_K
One thing I've read about Red Pocket is that it does not support international roaming. I'm guessing this is typical for most prepaid MVNO plans. So if you travel outside of the US, you'll need to buy a local SIM card and plan.

Us too, 100 bucks for 4 lines of unlimited everything. I think they start to throttle at 100G
I'm going on 3yrs with Cricket. 4 lines of "unlimited" everything for $100/mo all in. Like you say, data gets throttled if you go over the threshold (I forget how many gigawitz), but I don't think any of us ever have gotten there.

Like said a few times above, I know with TracFone, depending on the specific phone you have with them, you may have been using Verizon towers for years. I believe it's the same with Cricket. Most of their phones use AT&T, some use Verizon service.

I'm going on 3yrs with Cricket. 4 lines of "unlimited" everything for $100/mo all in. Like you say, data gets throttled if you go over the threshold (I forget how many gigawitz), but I don't think any of us ever have gotten there.

Like said a few times above, I know with TracFone, depending on the specific phone you have with them, you may have been using Verizon towers for years. I believe it's the same with Cricket. Most of their phones use AT&T, some use Verizon service.
Total wireless rides on the verizon network exclusively.
Verizon is the only carrier with service where we go in the Summer, that is why we were with verizon, switched to total wireless, cut the bill in half and use the exact same tower.

One thing I've read about Red Pocket is that it does not support international roaming. I'm guessing this is typical for most prepaid MVNO plans. So if you travel outside of the US, you'll need to buy a local SIM card and plan.
yes sounds about right. even at one time att did not offer roaming in canada on their prepaid plans they had two different coverage maps one for prepaid one for post.

Have to make sure I get something CDMA else there is no coverage out here. So I did that, have an iPhone 6S. [My first phone was a GSM by accident and so for the first few years I owned a phone that didn't work within a 20 mile radius of home. Oops.]

I suspect the problem area just lacks towers. Lots of deadzones around here. Maybe I get the roaming message when there is only one tower being heard? no idea. Sometimes just trying to make the call several times "fixes" it, other times I just give up. It's the town over so I usually get lucky and don't have to worry about it, but sometimes it's just handy to have a phone, ya know.
Verizon is killing off their CDMA 3G EV-DO network for good on 9/1/22. There’s still a ton of “IoT” devices using Verizon 3G - especially many home/commercial burglar/fire alarms using cellular communicators and ITS/public safety data modems.

Also, some phones sold originally on AT&T and T-mobile may be missing the CDMA and LTE bands Verizon uses too. iPhones before the 12/13 and some others especially.

There are so many MVNOs out there competing for business that I wouldn't worry about Tracfone going to the dark side one bit.
All the prices you listed were way above what my TF costs, about $4/mo. I have a landline for business use and wifi practically everywhere I go so no real reason to pay more to get more, but I bet that they will still up the minimum price to maintain service, closer to $10 if not $20/mo... which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, but is still in %, 250-500% higher. It'll definitely make me shop around when the time comes.

Verizon is killing off their CDMA 3G EV-DO network for good on 9/1/22. There’s still a ton of “IoT” devices using Verizon 3G - especially many home/commercial burglar/fire alarms using cellular communicators and ITS/public safety data modems.

Also, some phones sold originally on AT&T and T-mobile may be missing the CDMA and LTE bands Verizon uses too. iPhones before the 12/13 and some others especially.
Quick look says 6s is 4g compatible? Not sure it'd be that big of a deal? I specifically bought the phone with CDMA support, and it's been working for 2 years now. :) Well, "working" as in, it works when I drive far enough from home...

If my 6s loses support I might just quit having a cell phone, there's no real coverage out here, I know friends who just leave theirs off as they don't have coverage at home. I would just have to figure out how to MFA stuff, that's the only thing I "need" my phone for. Maybe I could keep the phone, and just ignore the fact that it has zero usage as a phone...

If my 6s loses support I might just quit having a cell phone, there's no real coverage out here, I know friends who just leave theirs off as they don't have coverage at home. I would just have to figure out how to MFA stuff, that's the only thing I "need" my phone for. Maybe I could keep the phone, and just ignore the fact that it has zero usage as a phone...
Can't you use your internet at home to make your iPhone work?

Quick look says 6s is 4g compatible? Not sure it'd be that big of a deal? I specifically bought the phone with CDMA support, and it's been working for 2 years now. :) Well, "working" as in, it works when I drive far enough from home...

If the 6s was a factory unlocked US GSM/CDMA model or if it as originally a Sprint/Verizon phone and unlocked, it should work. 6 and above supports VoLTE, VoIP over cellular connections. LTE support is one thing. It’s another to support VoLTE, which Verizon wants.

Reactions: Y_K
Correct this goes with most prepaid phones including the biggest of all TracFone.

It doesn’t much matter at least for us. When my wife travels overseas she just connects to a Wi-Fi network and calls me with Viber, which is a killer app used by her and all her international friends.
There is no doubt in my mind that Viber call quality is just as good in many cases better than traditional phone.
Plus when in different time zones in her case a 12 hour difference it’s cool Because you can leave messages and photos while the other person sleeping
Of course if you’re a business customer you’re gonna want a regular phone line but that’s what the cost of doing business is.
If you are an infrequent international traveler you can easily, easily get by with Viber and actually most likely enjoy it much more than traditional phone.

Last edited:

My parents tried to switch over to Cricket, it was a nightmare. They moved to Xfinity Mobile - a Verizon MVNO, Comcast takes care of billing and support. $120 for 4 lines I think.

Correct this goes with most prepaid phones including the biggest of all TracFone.
Verizon CDMA only phones will not work overseas but as mentioned CDMA I’d just about dead and most Verizon phones operate on both I think
I’ve seen my old iPhone 11 jump onto 3G for a bit. My 13 mini is locked on Verizon 4G/5G more consistently, Qualcomm modem vs. Intel.

Yeah, I know Mint Mobile has international roaming options, but they use T-Mobile. I'd like to find an MVNO that runs on AT&T's network and supports international roaming.

Back