verizon's acquisition of tracfone

I'm going on 3yrs with Cricket. 4 lines of "unlimited" everything for $100/mo all in. Like you say, data gets throttled if you go over the threshold (I forget how many gigawitz), but I don't think any of us ever have gotten there.

Like said a few times above, I know with TracFone, depending on the specific phone you have with them, you may have been using Verizon towers for years. I believe it's the same with Cricket. Most of their phones use AT&T, some use Verizon service.
Yes we’ve had cricket for a number of years and had nothing but good things to say about it including in this forum.
Some years ago we switched over to Redpocket ATT for no other reason then save a few more dollars (10), higher data speeds and maybe at the time more data was a nice bonus but nothing at all against ATT owned Cricket, in fact I would suggest it to people who might need a little more handholding, it was a good service for us.

Can't you use your internet at home to make your iPhone work?

Looks simple enough, never tried it. What wizardry do they use to make this work? My router tells Verizon (somehow) to route calls to it, and then the router routes calls to my phone? I could see that working if Verizon was both cell and fiber provider, it's not so I have to wonder.

Seems like sorcery. But I still marvel at cars that don't need keys.

I’ve seen my old iPhone 11 jump onto 3G for a bit. My 13 mini is locked on Verizon 4G/5G more consistently, Qualcomm modem vs. Intel.
i prefer the qualcomm over intel. my iphone se 1st generation has stronger signal strength over my xr

Have to make sure I get something CDMA else there is no coverage out here. So I did that, have an iPhone 6S. [My first phone was a GSM by accident and so for the first few years I owned a phone that didn't work within a 20 mile radius of home. Oops.]

I suspect the problem area just lacks towers. Lots of deadzones around here. Maybe I get the roaming message when there is only one tower being heard? no idea. Sometimes just trying to make the call several times "fixes" it, other times I just give up. It's the town over so I usually get lucky and don't have to worry about it, but sometimes it's just handy to have a phone, ya know.
I think VW is looking to turn off CDMA

Total wireless rides on the verizon network exclusively.
Verizon is the only carrier with service where we go in the Summer, that is why we were with verizon, switched to total wireless, cut the bill in half and use the exact same tower.
How's your data speeds compared to full freight vz?

Looks simple enough, never tried it. What wizardry do they use to make this work? My router tells Verizon (somehow) to route calls to it, and then the router routes calls to my phone? I could see that working if Verizon was both cell and fiber provider, it's not so I have to wonder.

Seems like sorcery. But I still marvel at cars that don't need keys.
It's Verizon telling your phone to route calls (VoIP) through your Wi-Fi connection instead of through the Verizon's mobile network.

My parents switched to one of the cable company MVNOs(Xfinity Mobile) - I’m seeing 3-60Mbps on LTE and 5G. It’s definitely prioritized.

I’m planning on getting a prepaid SIM for full VZW to do a test.

same. We never had 5G phones though, that might be one of the things the big carriers are keeping in their pockets to retain customers, but if total doesn't have it now it will roll down to everyone eventually. 4G does everything we need.

same. We never had 5G phones though, that might be one of the things the big carriers are keeping in their pockets to retain customers, but if total doesn't have it now it will roll down to everyone eventually. 4G does everything we need.
Total wireless says they offer 5g on their site with a compatible device and SIM card.

Yeah, no one is really holding back on offering 5g … it’s in its infancy is all it is.
I’m willing to bet 90% +of the smart phones on the market or not even compatible with 5G.
5G is not some miracle and will not be for at least a decade unless you’re in a city setting with local 5G tower.
5G signal range is much less and will take many years to blanket the country with it. I’m just saying it so you don’t sweat it out.
AT&T and Verizon 5G network right now it’s no bigger than a needle in a haystack compared to T-Mobile but all three of them have a very long way to go and I honestly won’t do you any good for sometime. If you’re in a rural area that will even be worse because the range is terrible compared to 4G LTE

Yeah, no one is really holding back on offering 5g … it’s in its infancy is all it is.
I’m willing to bet 90% +of the smart phones on the market or not even compatible with 5G.
5G is not some miracle and will not be for at least a decade unless you’re in a city setting with local 5G tower.
5G signal range is much less and will take many years to blanket the country with it. I’m just saying it so you don’t sweat it out.
AT&T and Verizon 5G network right now it’s no bigger than a needle in a haystack compared to T-Mobile but all three of them have a very long way to go and I honestly won’t do you any good for sometime. If you’re in a rural area that will even be worse because the range is terrible compared to 4G LTE
Right now in sc att doesn't even have 5g they're behind t-mobile and vz has plenty of 5g coverage

So what do or will I get with 5G once it's widespread here in the Milwaukee metropolitan area? Right now I get about 130/15 speeds on LTE (or whatever it is), do I need more?
I played on my father's 5g iPhone and wife's 5g galaxy phone I saw nothing that was breathtaking. You got more than enough speed

Right now in sc att doesn't even have 5g they're behind t-mobile and vz has plenty of 5g coverage
Yes, actually, T-Mobile is hands and feet ahead of everyone, ATT & Verizon about tied on a national level.
T Mobile is has about TEN times the coverage as the other two.
I wouldnt be surprised if ATT and Verizon had 20 million combined between the two of them to TMobile 200 million. Amazing!

"T-Mobile ( TMUS 0.68% ) recently passed 200 million people covered by its Ultra Capacity 5G network. That milestone puts it ahead of its own schedule to cover 200 million people by year-end, and well ahead of AT&T ( T -0.44% ) or Verizon ( VZ 0.06% ). In fact, the competitors are falling further and further behind as they face technical complications preventing them from deploying certain airwaves."

Ive been following, invested in TMobile for a while now and posted the above source because it was easiest to search right now but Im not really a Motley Fool follower. I have my own "thing" and reasons not from Motley Fool.

At the present time I have no use for 5g on my cell phone, I mean, for me and the way more phone works it cant get much faster in anyway to make it significant. Faster then a snap of the finger and "Im there"
BUT I do want TMobile 5g HOME INTERNET SERVICE and give Spectrum the boot.

Yes, actually, T-Mobile is hands and feet ahead of everyone, ATT & Verizon about tied on a national level.
T Mobile is has about TEN times the coverage as the other two.
I wouldnt be surprised if ATT and Verizon had 20 million combined between the two of them to TMobile 200 million. Amazing!

"T-Mobile ( TMUS 0.68% ) recently passed 200 million people covered by its Ultra Capacity 5G network. That milestone puts it ahead of its own schedule to cover 200 million people by year-end, and well ahead of AT&T ( T -0.44% ) or Verizon ( VZ 0.06% ). In fact, the competitors are falling further and further behind as they face technical complications preventing them from deploying certain airwaves."

Ive been following, invested in TMobile for a while now and posted the above source because it was easiest to search right now but Im not really a Motley Fool follower. I have my own "thing" and reasons not from Motley Fool.

At the present time I have no use for 5g on my cell phone, I mean, for me and the way more phone works it cant get much faster in anyway to make it significant. Faster then a snap of the finger and "Im there"
BUT I do want TMobile 5g HOME INTERNET SERVICE and give Spectrum the boot.
i was really hoping for t mobile 5g home internet as well and stick with streaming. wife "bill payer" went with the local tv giant of my area htc max plan we get fiber internet similar to fios and a firestick which has their app on it with around 200 channels. junk and a waste of money if you want my truth. not to mention the internet speeds are terrible far behind what i had up north on fios.

If the 6s was a factory unlocked US GSM/CDMA model or if it as originally a Sprint/Verizon phone and unlocked, it should work. 6 and above supports VoLTE, VoIP over cellular connections. LTE support is one thing. It’s another to support VoLTE, which Verizon wants.
Exactly my case of a Balckberry Classic stash of GSM and CDMA models that are allegedly 4G and LTE compatible and allegedly not VolTE compatible. No only I am being inundated by the warning messages when I dial a number, I had to call the CS a few times already as they booted me off way ahead of the schedule. Both ATT and VZ pre-paid. Both already sent me free Google and Apple phones. I keep using my BB even though I have transferred everything necessary for the survival.

Anyway, the 4G transition explanation is a simplification for the 'demographics'.

i was really hoping for t mobile 5g home internet as well and stick with streaming. wife "bill payer" went with the local tv giant of my area htc max plan we get fiber internet similar to fios and a firestick which has their app on it with around 200 channels. junk and a waste of money if you want my truth. not to mention the internet speeds are terrible far behind what i had up north on fios.
What are you doing that requires higher speeds?

Back