Vehicle Size and What People "Need"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm. Just wondering...

There will always be a need for hauling things/stuff, and it will always be a personal choice to buy a small car for conservation reasons.

Since those that WANT to drive a small car are doing it by choice, and some are complaining that it's less safe to drive a smaller car on our nation's roads, perhaps THEY should pay the premium that will be incurred with those small cars to engineer them to the safety rating they desire, rather than downsizing larger vehicles that many actually see use for their intended purposes.

Originally Posted By: Nadir
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Most guys I know w/trucks always justify it the phrase "I want TO BE ABLE TO...". Not that they actually haul 20 sheets of drywall, 50 cinderblocks or anything, the "want to be able to".

Lame.

I view more as kinda like carrying a gun: Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
13.gif

But you don't NEED a huge gass guzzler to move a payload like that anyway. In most places in the world trucks in the One Ton
class are FAR more economical than the 'Sledge Hammer' U.S. approach to doing the job

Years ago, I took the back seat out of my Dodge Omni and hauled all kinds of stuff... roofing material, firewood, landscape material, furniture, etc. I had the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Years ago, I took the back seat out of my Dodge Omni and hauled all kinds of stuff... roofing material, firewood, landscape material, furniture, etc. I had the best of both worlds.

Those little Omnis with the 2.2 were quite fast for the day.

Did the same thing with a Chevy Chevette and a Geo Metro. Amazing what you can actually get into those things. Even got a Lazy Boy recliner in a Metro and was able to shut the hatch, and that was with just folding the back seat down. And pulled 45 to 50 MPG avg.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
This is all too funny and out of hand.

I wonder how many people who complain about gas usage of big trucks/suv's etc have some extra expense of their own that's not needed either; i.e. big house (greater then 1,800sq ft), smoke, drink, have huge flat-screen TV's, or more then 1 TV per household for that matter, 2-3 separate computers per household, microwave, fancy dishwashers,etc all of these cummodities use energy sources just the same.

If it can be spoken, in ones opinion, that a big truck's not needed; truthfully then, is a big house or an oversized tv needed either?? One is wasting just as much, if not more energy, cooling/heating/having built that house, etc.

There's 3 of us, along with 3 dogs living in a 1,400sq ft house with no garage; prior to this house, in our last house there were 7 of us living in a 2,600sq ft home with 5 dogs and a one car garage.

Up til just a few months ago, we had been using the same TV that we purchased in the early 80's...it finally croaked and we got a heck of a deal on a flat-screen, but it's the one and only TV.

We do have 3 trucks, 2 mid-sized and one cummins diesel; those that want to complain to me need to try driving up our 10 mile dirt road/driveway with ruts deep enough to swallow most cars.

And it also needs to be remembered, there are some heavy sedans out there that average the same gas mileage as my mid-sized trucks; and with that said, I'll have you know, my cummins diesel averages 22-24mpg city and 26-28mpg highway....that's nearly average for what most standard sedans average.

I get so tired of hearing people complain to truck owners, and yet that complainer generally has a huge house, 2-3 car garage, tv's in different rooms, throws out a ton of garbage, doesn't recycle, spends more money on a cigarette smoking habit then I make in a month, etc.

How about those with all of the above? Plus a dozen maxed out credit cards.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Personally I think who complain or even think about what other people need, have an underlying jealously that others can buy what they [censored] well want. I only ever hear this conversation from people who don't seem to have as much.

My personal experience.

+2

Or they are like many along the coast. They drive a Prius or other hybrid for show, them have their big and or fast cars in the garage for other times. Also yachts/boats/airplanes/second/third homes...The list goes on.

Mind your own friggin business and leave me alone.

Dividing people along economic and social lines is how our government gets things done.

We wouldn't have the IRS to deal with and the national income tax if they hadnt sold the middle class on the idea of taxing the rich, because they can afford it. How well has that worked out for the middle class?

People willing to support legislation that bends people to their personal whims and beliefs. Should be very afraid of the day that principle gets turned on them and used against them.

I have installed a Class 2 trailer hitch on my Buick. I can now have the comfort of my living room while towing 3000lbs if I'm willing to pay $20 to get a UHAUL trailer.

Clearly I am enlightened. But I AM pretty impressed with the new F-150.

K

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Personally I think who complain or even think about what other people need, have an underlying jealously that others can buy what they [censored] well want. I only ever hear this conversation from people who don't seem to have as much.

My personal experience.

+2

Or they are like many along the coast. They drive a Prius or other hybrid for show, them have their big and or fast cars in the garage for other times. Also yachts/boats/airplanes/second/third homes...The list goes on.

Mind your own friggin business and leave me alone.

I think of it this way; A person can stuff themselves until they are grossly obese. That’s their business.
When they sit next to me on a plane, or they gorge themselves on more than their share of food at a Buffet, It becomes MY business.
For many reasons, using limited resources for selfish reasons does not sit well with others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat

......more than their share of food at a Buffet, It becomes MY business.

Do you hold the same contempt for Carbon Traders who fly around in private jets?

This statement is very telling people, be careful what you wish for or soon those among us will decide FOR you, just what is your "fair share"

Whether we like it or not the market will help us to decide what size vehicle we need. A friend of mine in England said he is paying around 5 pounds per gallon for gas over there, which I think is something like $7.50 per gallon. That will get your attention at the pump. Just wait until our economy gets rolling again and see where gas prices go. You can already see it happening at the pump around here, now that there is some economic life. $2.95 on average today.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

Do you hold the same contempt for Carbon Traders who fly around in private jets?

This statement is very telling people, be careful what you wish for or soon those among us will decide FOR you, just what is your "fair share"

The U.S. FREE MARKET economy has just had a devastating blow, you MAY be in recovery, but even so, there are still a lot of people hurting.
The U.S. Auto industry was hit hard partially because it was not known for manufacturing fuel efficient vehicles (read; World Class vehicles) this does not help exports at a time when the U.S. needs Exports
Every gallon of fuel purchased means $ leaving YOUR country!
Perhaps your government ‘should’ be telling it’s ‘bailed out’ Auto manufacturers what they should produce , before some OTHER country (perhaps through economic means) give you no choice.

The U.S. FREE MARKET economy has just had a devastating blow, you MAY be in recovery, but even so, there are still a lot of people hurting.
The U.S. Auto industry was hit hard partially because it was not known for manufacturing fuel efficient vehicles (read; World Class vehicles) this does not help exports at a time when the U.S. needs Exports
Every gallon of fuel purchased means $ leaving YOUR country!
Perhaps your government ‘should’ be telling it’s ‘bailed out’ Auto manufacturers what they should produce , before some OTHER country (perhaps through economic means) give you no choice.

Get back to the buffet and keep an eye on people for us ok?
Every little bit helps, right?

I've heard that private jets can often net substantial reductions in operating costs compared to cars and/or planes, depending on travel patterns and how many people use them. Not sure how that translates into resource usage, but there's a good chance the result may not always be what you think.

be careful what you wish for or soon those among us will decide FOR you, just what is your "fair share"

Well technically that already happens, and many of our attitudes -- no matter what side of this argument we're on -- carry that implication. But even so, that's not the argument by a long shot.

The argument is that people should make their own choices differently, and that the people affected by those choices should speak up.

The argument is that people should make their own choices differently, and that the people affected by those choices should speak up.

By saying people should make their choices differently removes it being their choice.

No thanks....

Btw the vehicle, house, boat, airplane, TV on and on I choose to buy and use, has nothing to do with you or your life or lot in life.

Please take care of you and yours...I'll be fine. Thanks

expat

If your name means what I believe it does, IMO you have lost all right to even burp about this country...

If not, then be thankful that many of our dollars go to our neighbor to the North.

I think of it this way; A person can stuff themselves until they are grossly obese. That’s their business.
When they sit next to me on a plane, or they gorge themselves on more than their share of food at a Buffet, It becomes MY business.
For many reasons, using limited resources for selfish reasons does not sit well with others.

I may not like that you smell like smoke...or you have not bathed..the cologne you have on....your irritating voice, noises you make or the looks of your wife. The list is endless.

As far as endless resources, in your lifetime or your childrens...that would not be oil.....

Concerning buffets. They keep opening up HomeTown Buffets, Sizzlers etc.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Very well said. Liberals are a serious disease in this country.

And so are conservatives. That's why we have a democracy, so everyone's crazy ideas get balanced out.

Here is the thing. I am all for anyone making any choice they want, provided it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. If soccer mom wants to drive a tank around and has her credit cards maxed out, god bless her.

As long as the costs of her decision are on her, and not the rest of us. And they are: she pays more per mile for fuel. That is her "punishment" for driving an inefficient (for the task at hand) vehicle.

When it comes to air quality, there are so, so many bigger fish to fry. I was trying to sleep with the windows open last night, and I wasn't choking to death from car exhaust. No, it was from the dear neighbors burning brush, weeds and beer boxes in their nightly campfire. More [censored] is put into the air every day by coal fired plants than we can imagine.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
By saying people should make their choices differently removes it being their choice.

Is that really how you feel when someone criticizes your judgment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back