Vehicle Sat Since 2006/7- Need Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have a long story but I will try to make it as short as possible. I am an Apache helicopter engineer and have been so for many years now. In 2005, I was in Iraq with the 101st. Came back in late 2005 and purchases a 2001 Ford Expedition with the 4.6 liter, 2 valve engine. Loved the truck. Always performed my own maintenance. In late 2006, my company wanted me to go to Kuwait to support Apaches there for a year. My company has a parking lot at an airport so my vehicle was always parked at that lot (it's free). It sat for approx. 1 year. When I flew home for vacation, I flew into the airport and attempted to fire it up. Fired up without any issues. Again, love this truck! Drove it about 600+ miles to my parents home. There I took it in to get all the fluids changed out (oil, tranny, diff, coolant, brake) and also changed the battery since it sat for so long. I wanted to put something good into the truck since I knew it was going to sit for at least another 6 months but my pops talked me into just going to Walmart and putting in one of their batteries. Nothing against Walmart and I am not so naive to know that most batteries are all probably made by just a few companies. I just wanted something either original, as I had installed or put in a well known brand for reliability. Regardless, tired of listening to my pops, we went over to Walmart and had them install a new battery. After my visit, drove it the 600+ miles back to the airport, parked it and flew back to Kuwait. 6 months later, back home in the US and went to start my truck. You guessed it- just the "click, click, click". This vacation, I was short on time and did not have the time to jump it or mess around with it. I was super annoyed to say the least. No tools with me, no jumper cables, nothing. And no time. Fast forward to 2016- now. Truck has sat at that parking lot this entire time. Don't ask- its part of my job. I was stuck overseas this entire time in various countries. Now back stateside here at Fort Rucker, I want my truck back. I hired a shipper to ship it from the parking lot at the airport to my parents home in Indiana. Where I plan on wrenching on it and getting it semi-driveable and then have it either shipped to me here in Alabama or rent a moving truck with trailer and tow it down myself. Why did I not just ship it to my home here in Alabama? Well first, my home is in a subdivision and they do not allow vehicles to just sit outside. I have a garage but my driveway is inclined and pretty steep. My wife and I am not pushing a full size SUV into the garage. Get it running in Indiana and then get it here and then I can just drive it into the garage where I can really spend some time with it. I have done a lot of "research" online for vehicles which have sat for many years. It seems 2 things can happen, either it will fire right up after cleaning everything out and swapping the fluids (and battery) or I will be facing the worse with major corrosion from sitting for so long and leaky seals. Matter of fact, I expect leaky seals and corrosion. I have many questions on fluids and maintenance and just wanted to bounce off everyone and hear everyone's thoughts on how to proceed. Maybe I am missing something or forgot about something. Tires will be changes, belts, hoses, most likely brake and fuel lines, fuel all drained out, all fluids replaced, new battery, new plugs and coils. Also got a major mildew smell inside the vehicle so I will be cleaning and replacing everything inside. Why do all of this? It only has 75,000-ish miles and the truck was great when I was driving it. Was getting 21-23 MPG on the highways. Ran like a top. Is it smart and economical to keep it? Probably not but it gives me something to do while at the house. Once running, I can drive it to work everyday and keep the mileage off my new car. I will copy and paste on each forum for questions about specific things.

For this forum- Oil. Posting on all the different forums on various topics I have questions for. Here is my thinking out loud so please interject with anything you wish. Just looking for any advice and/or suggestions. First drain the oil. I always used a synthetic. I do not recall the last oil I used but back in 2006/7, I probably put in Mobile 1 or Royal Purple. I do not have a favorite oil. For daily driving, I think any oil will do as long as you use a good filter and oil. I always use synthetic though. Do you really need it? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is in my lifetime, I never had engine issues and I always used synthetic. Everything else fails before the engine components. Currently I have been using Pennzoil Synthetic in my new car. Thinking of draining the oil, replacing with a new filter and Pennzoil 5W-20 High Mileage. Once it is running, drive around the block in the country (in case something goes wrong), get the engine and fluids warmed up. Drain again and replace filter. I read I probably should use a regular, dino oil since it sat. Almost like a new engine and how you treat it. Let the rings seat properly after sitting. Maybe replace with Pennzoil Synthetic High Mileage oil after the first oil change? Thinking I might buy one of those pre-oilers or primers and prime the system before I crank over for the first time. I have read if I pull all the plugs and crank over, it does the same. I don't know. Do I even want to risk it? I expect to replace all the seals in the engine regardless but was thinking the high mileage oil will help with any "sludge" which might have accumulated over time (doubtful but being cautious) and help swell the seals that may have shrunk or went without oil for so long.

Any advice on the top end though? I was looking into spraying fogger into the cylinders but then I read the procedure and that is more of a "before you store" and run the engine to distribute into the cylinder. Putting some oil through the plug holes good enough? And then what oil/chemical to put in those plug holes? I have read many opinions and am looking for more on here.

What am I missing? What would you guys do in my situation? No wrong answers, just reaching out on suggestions. Looking at using Pennzoil but any other oils you would reccomend? Oil cleaner/flush? Additives? Normally I do not believe in using when using your vehicle everyday and changing the oil. In this situation, I think a flush/cleaner might be useful and additives may be useful in getting the seals "semi" back into shape.

Should have the vehicle in Indiana by December and around Christmas time when I visit, I will begin these procedures. Just want to put a plan together now and buy the appropriate items I will need.

Thanks in advance everyone and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Hello everyone. I have a long story but I will try to make it as short as possible. I am an Apache helicopter engineer and have been so for many years now. In 2005, I was in Iraq with the 101st. Came back in late 2005 and purchases a 2001 Ford Expedition with the 4.6 liter, 2 valve engine. Loved the truck. Always performed my own maintenance. In late 2006, my company wanted me to go to Kuwait to support Apaches there for a year. My company has a parking lot at an airport so my vehicle was always parked at that lot (it's free). It sat for approx. 1 year. When I flew home for vacation, I flew into the airport and attempted to fire it up. Fired up without any issues. Again, love this truck! Drove it about 600+ miles to my parents home. There I took it in to get all the fluids changed out (oil, tranny, diff, coolant, brake) and also changed the battery since it sat for so long. I wanted to put something good into the truck since I knew it was going to sit for at least another 6 months but my pops talked me into just going to Walmart and putting in one of their batteries. Nothing against Walmart and I am not so naive to know that most batteries are all probably made by just a few companies. I just wanted something either original, as I had installed or put in a well known brand for reliability. Regardless, tired of listening to my pops, we went over to Walmart and had them install a new battery. After my visit, drove it the 600+ miles back to the airport, parked it and flew back to Kuwait. 6 months later, back home in the US and went to start my truck. You guessed it- just the "click, click, click". This vacation, I was short on time and did not have the time to jump it or mess around with it. I was super annoyed to say the least. No tools with me, no jumper cables, nothing. And no time. Fast forward to 2016- now. Truck has sat at that parking lot this entire time. Don't ask- its part of my job. I was stuck overseas this entire time in various countries. Now back stateside here at Fort Rucker, I want my truck back. I hired a shipper to ship it from the parking lot at the airport to my parents home in Indiana. Where I plan on wrenching on it and getting it semi-driveable and then have it either shipped to me here in Alabama or rent a moving truck with trailer and tow it down myself. Why did I not just ship it to my home here in Alabama? Well first, my home is in a subdivision and they do not allow vehicles to just sit outside. I have a garage but my driveway is inclined and pretty steep. My wife and I am not pushing a full size SUV into the garage. Get it running in Indiana and then get it here and then I can just drive it into the garage where I can really spend some time with it. I have done a lot of "research" online for vehicles which have sat for many years. It seems 2 things can happen, either it will fire right up after cleaning everything out and swapping the fluids (and battery) or I will be facing the worse with major corrosion from sitting for so long and leaky seals. Matter of fact, I expect leaky seals and corrosion. I have many questions on fluids and maintenance and just wanted to bounce off everyone and hear everyone's thoughts on how to proceed. Maybe I am missing something or forgot about something. Tires will be changes, belts, hoses, most likely brake and fuel lines, fuel all drained out, all fluids replaced, new battery, new plugs and coils. Also got a major mildew smell inside the vehicle so I will be cleaning and replacing everything inside. Why do all of this? It only has 75,000-ish miles and the truck was great when I was driving it. Was getting 21-23 MPG on the highways. Ran like a top. Is it smart and economical to keep it? Probably not but it gives me something to do while at the house. Once running, I can drive it to work everyday and keep the mileage off my new car. I will copy and paste on each forum for questions about specific things.

For this forum- Cooling System- Where to even begin? HA! Besides draining all the coolant out and flushing, and then replacing all the hoses, thermostat, and gaskets- what else am I missing? Any cleaner/flush recommended? Particular coolant recommendations? I fear corrosion with this situation.

Should have the vehicle in Indiana by December and around Christmas time when I visit, I will begin these procedures. Just want to put a plan together now and buy the appropriate items I will need.

For this forum- ATF, Diff, Brakes, and P/S- Brakes- Instantly flush all the old fluid out. No way it is good. Replace all the brakes. Thinking I was going to perform an entire brake overhaul. Maybe overkill but I prefer to be cautious on this. Thinking of replacing the master cylinder, all the lines, and all the brakes and using new fluid. Should be pretty easy. Thoughts? Any recommended brake fluids? My thinking is any DOT 3 will do. I now reside in Alabama where humidity is high so I would like one that resists water absorption, if they even make a product.

Power Steering- flush? If so, any reccomended flush I should use? I will need to inspect the hoses and lines. May need replacing as well. Thinking I will fully replace in Alabama regardless. Piece of mind here too.

Diff- this one is easy. Remove fluid. Install new. Thinking of putting in a new diff cover with a magnetic oil level dipstick. Piece of mind again. Recommended diff fluids? I always ran synthetic. Not sure which brand I used.

Trans- Was going to drop the plan and replace the filter and clean. New fluid reccomendations? Or should I go for one of those flushes and have them drop the pan and replace the filter? I know dropping the pan will not replace all the fluid. Just curious about what everyone thinks with this one.

"Tires will be changes, belts, hoses, most likely brake and fuel lines, fuel all drained out, all fluids replaced, new battery, new plugs and coils. Also got a major mildew smell inside the vehicle so I will be cleaning and replacing everything inside."

That's a lot of green to drop on a 15 year old vehicle. Why don't you just fix what needs it and see what happens?

Glad you brought that up- was thinking to go with a 0-20 for the first change since it is so thin and I know it would flow really good to get circulated around. Thanks brother.

You worry too much. Just fire it up and go. Id have the military fly me down there and drive it to indiana. Youd save what? About 1500 bucks?

Fluids dont necessarily go bad just sitting. There maybea little moisture but thatll flash off in the first 30 minutes.

It is, I agree. I need to purchase a car for the wifey next year regardless. I most likely will be going back overseas late next year, early 2018 so a new car is out of the question. My vehicle, I know it was maintained while I had it. I know the ins and outs of it. It was a great truck when I was driving it everyday. Hoping it still is. More of a hobby for me than anything. When I go back overseas, I can take my new car and this truck to my parents and let them run the heck out of them until I come back stateside permanently. I do get your point though. Wrenching for me is therapeutic. Crank the radio, smoke a cigar, drink a beer, wrench a little, and move on.

My hope is I drain the fluids, put new gas in it and see what happens. If it fires up and I drive it (in the country) around the block a few times and it runs fine- this would be optimal. Then I will drive it until it [censored] out. If not, then I have a project for me to tinker on.

You and I are on the same page though! Thanks!

YA, if it was a high value classic I might see all the $put into it, but I sure wouldn't do all that much. Many of the things mentioned would probably still be perfectly fine if you had been driving it those years, so should not be as bad from sitting.

HA! That would be great if they flew me down but they don't do that for us civilians anymore. Back in 2005, they would do that. These days, with budgets tight, civilians fly commercially now. I have a buddy who just went back to Iraq- flew commercial into Baghdad. Shame if you ask me. They used to have Space A for us civilians who supported them. You could fly right into whatever base you were heading into. Space A means space available. Meaning, if they had the room and they were headed down, jump in. Made sense. Now- I guess they rather pay for our plane tickets which cost a ton more money. I will leave it at that.

It would make a great low mile down payment on a new vehicle and I bet you would love something new. If it is a hobby you seem to be a master at doing the work,

I drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off. I don't want another new vehicle if I am going back overseas. Seems pointless to buy a new one when I have (hopefully) a perfect vehicle which just needs some work. Thanks for the compliment though. Plus I can have my teenage son come down and he can be my assistant. I think kids need to learn these skills these days. Even if he is not mechanically inclined, it is always good to know the basics of a vehicle so when he gets his own, he will know what is going on and won't get screwed over by a shop because he doesn't know anything. Thanks again brother.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You worry too much. Just fire it up and go. Id have the military fly me down there and drive it to indiana. Youd save what? About 1500 bucks?

Fluids dont necessarily go bad just sitting. There maybea little moisture but thatll flash off in the first 30 minutes.

This is where I am leaning as well. I would give the vehicle a good look through for rust etc. but I would throw in a can of seafoam in the gas, top off the tank with about 3-4 gallons of fresh fuel, squirt of starter fluid in the throttle body before you start and drive it. My first drive I would give it a good 30 minutes. That'll burn off whatever moisture has accumulated in the fluids. My only concerns would be rubber parts, belts, tires etc. Those can wear over time but over all I say drive it and save the scratch for later.

after you get it started, check that your brakes work in a safe area, before you need to depend on them.

Last edited:
Welcome back to state side. I have been there however I am now retired from Raytheon, Grewup in Pakistan by Afghanistan border area my dad was an air force officer in PAF. I had to leave my car many a times. I do disconnect my battery even though it puts all the CANBUS circuitry into reset mode. After start up I put in a quart of Kreen (from Kano Lab Nashville) it is the best stuff you can get to clean engine and free up sludge and free up rings (you need to drive 500 miles before you do oil change and you can also use it in fuel system. Good luck with the truck. My car was a Benz diesel with almost 300k mile, finally got tired of looking at it and gave it to my nephew, I think he now has 330k mile and not a drop oil leak from engine or transmission. But does seeps diesel from fuel line when it really gets cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back