Vehicle Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at possibly putting all of my vehicle maintenance information into some website for tracking it. Sorta curious if some of you use them, what you think of them, and which one you use.

I keep a log book in my car and write down everything except gas -- also do the same in my wife's car. One of my fears it that I switch to doing it online and the site closes up shop, then I lose everything. I'm still looking into some of the different ones to see what kind of options they have within their site, but really I would like something simple, clean, and ultimately something that would print out nicely if I would ever need to show some records.

I remember looking for something like that online too, didn't really find what I wanted in particular, and also had the concern that they would close up shop.

I ended up going with a Google Doc spreadsheet. It makes it a little easier than Excel to maintain one master copy easily accessibly from any browser/phone. It's not perfect, but you can have your way with the data.

I use Excel -- 1 tab for each vehicle and the Quad. Works well and easy to use.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Why not use Excel?

I could use excel with no problems at all, and already do a little bit for this purpose. I was looking to switch to something online because I also do all of the maintenance on my family's cars too and it would be easier for them to log online and use an easy tool (assuming there is one) and add info in on their own if I don't do something for them. I maintain 8 cars, 2 are my own, but it would be nice to have everything in one place that can't get accidentally screwed up/deleted by someone other than me. I don't live in the same residence as my family members and they aren't very handy with computers, let alone Excel. Assuming there isn't an online application for me to use, I could resort to excel, or just create a webapp myself to my own taste buds.

I was more or less interested in what others are using, if anything at all.

You could easily share the Excel file and allow other family members to edit it, for example by sharing the file through some free cloud service such as Dropbox. The Google Docs idea that Edward mentioned above is another option for this.

Autozone's web site has this feature. The nice thing is that for some cars they have a lot of good diagrams that help you see how things are put together along with torque specs for various bolts.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
MyAMSOIL Garage is your best bet for auto maintenance record keeping.

+1 here.

Google Drive is probably your best bet, especially if you want others to be able to access & add to the information. I have a google docs spreadsheet for each car - one tab for fillups, one tab for maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You could easily share the Excel file and allow other family members to edit it, for example by sharing the file through some free cloud service such as Dropbox. The Google Docs idea that Edward mentioned above is another option for this.

I have Google Docs, Dropbox, and MS OneDrive. I just don't feel safe with them having access to the doc knowing their abilities, they will most likely delete something or screw it up in another way. Whatever I use almost needs to be dummy proof with big flashing icons, highlights, and boxes! You should have been there when I showed them how to navigate Windows 8 -- like deer in headlights, lol. If I make the move, I just don't want to take any chances, but for myself, it wouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Have you checked out "MyAMSOIL Garage"? It is free to use.

Never knew this existed! Thanks, I will look into this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back