Car Maintenance log

Just got a new vehicle and the Owners encyclopedia has no place for you to list your maintenance records! I see a lot of them on Amazon but they show the back and front of the Manual but no detail pictures of the Log. Any suggestions?

I’ve been using a spiral notebook with the year, make and model of the vehicle in sharpie on the front for the past 15 years.
+1
No cell phone/computer required.

I still have the service documents from the late 90s when I bought my BMW.
Still clearly legible and a great feature for the next owner(s).

File folder for every car containing title, receipts for parts and service along with a hand written log of said items in chronological order on legal pad paper with the mileage, cost, brand, part number, etc. Still have them all since my first car in the late 70's.

I've used an Excel spreadsheet for the past 10 years or so.

When I sell a vehicle, I print out a copy of that vehicle's tab and give it to the new owner. I only wish everyone was so considerate.

I write everything in the owner’s manual.

I use an Excel spreadsheet and keep the receipts in a file.

Part of my spreadsheet is a list of the maintenance items, how often, and when due next. Then I highlight in red those maintenance items that are due this year.

One major plus for using an Excel spreadsheet is that one can enter date, mileage, part numbers used, parts brands, parts costs, core charges, repair notes, store where parts purchased, receipt numbers, etc. If I take a vehicle to a shop, I enter repair invoice number, technician(s) who worked on the vehicle, mileage in/mileage out, and any and all information that was printed on the invoice (DTCs, technician notes, etc.).

I also have a tab where I keep vehicle information (VIN, engine series, transmission code, tire size, etc.) as well as part numbers for things like filters, spark plugs, serpentine belts, etc.

One can save as much or as little information as they choose.

Johnny, if you have a smartphone you can download the owners manual right onto that. It comes in real handy that way. On my iPhone I keep it in the Books app. I can do searches on particular topics as well.

Johnny, if you have a smartphone you can download the owners manual right onto that. It comes in real handy that way. On my iPhone I keep it in the Books app. I can do searches on particular topics as well.
Yes the Mazda App may be the best and its free. 221 miles guess if I'm lucky it will be awhile before I need it. But I have my filters and a Jug of Valvoline Extended Protection 5w-20. I'm figuring at about 5000 miles! Car is running great and so far knock on wood there have been zero issues with the cylinder deactivation.

Yes the Mazda App may be the best and its free. 221 miles guess if I'm lucky it will be awhile before I need it. But I have my filters and a Jug of Valvoline Extended Protection 5w-20. I'm figuring at about 5000 miles! Car is running great and so far knock on wood there have been zero issues with the cylinder deactivation.

I will have to Re download that app. I had it in the beginning but it was finicky. I’m sure they updated it by now. There was a way of entering DIY maintenance on it too.

I use the free version of the Fuelly app. It keeps my fuel and maintenance records for both the bosses van and my truck. I use to keep a small spiral note book for each vehicle I owned. Fuelly is much easier.

Just my $0.02

Back