Truck Driving Careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to be layed off and looking for my next career.

Thought about Driving Truck.

An industry and job many members of my family have been involved with since my Great Great Grand Father drove oxen drawn freight wagons from St. Louis to Oregon.

I have no direct experience driving. When in High School I was a three rig company book keeper, maintenance log keeper and passenger seat rider with many hours.

Any suggestions for resources, internet sites, freight lines, or personal comments.

There are two sides to the coin.

There is a dramatic need for truck drivers. The existing drivers are aging and retiring faster than the younger drivers are coming into the industry.
Article

The flip side is that you will be away from home way too much to have a decent family life.

BTDT There's no money in it.

You must pay to have the truck loaded (usually $100), then you drive over hours to reach your destination and pay $200.00 to have the truck unloaded.

I once unloaded 44,000lbs of meat in 120lb boxes labels out for free.

Any tolls on the road you pay.

The co's claim to pay loading, unloading and tolls....Strangly alot of your reciepts seem to get lost in the mail.

If you don't get a certain mpg they charge you!

Any damaged freight you buy. I once bought 1000 bottles of Heinz ketchup that fell down and broke inside a locked and sealed trailer.

Serously.....Plan on working 100 hours a week for $300.00

I still have my CDL and keep it currant. I quit driving 2 years ago. I got a job making $12.00 an hour. I bring home more $$ in 40 hours a week @$12.00 than I ever did driving twice that many hours.

The only way to make any $$ in this business is to get a job with UPS which has a 10 year waiting period or buy your own truck and pull FED-EX trailers.

I work for wal-mart distribution as a yard driver (11 years)and get to talk to alot of truck drivers from different companies. Starting out as a driver, say like swift or schneider, you are lucky to make a whopping $600 per week before taxes. And thats living in your truck for 5-6 days a week. Most all trucking companies run legal now, meaning say, 10 years ago, alot of drivers ran illegal log books drove 4000 miles on a good week and had a good check, albeit being a slave to the company. Alot of the truck drivers that work for ltl trucking companies i.e. roadway, yellow, watkins, get home everyday and do much better. Truck driving, for many,is not the high paying profession it once was, because of deregulation and too many companies cut-throating each other for bussiness.

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
because of deregulation and too many companies cut-throating each other for bussiness.

Yup! When I started driving in 97 I was making $160.00 for my 540 mile loop. The company cut the rates to get the work and since I was paid by the load this cut into my pay tremendusly.

When I quit 2 years ago I was lucky to make $75 for the same run!

I do miss the whistle of the Turbo putting out 30lbs of boost though!

Driving is a hard job and the pay sucks for what you put up with. Unless it is a teamster job I would do something else. From 1976 to 1982 I worked out of the line drivers union hall as a casual driver .I would clear $750.00 a week . They were long days but, not bad. I don't think pay is as good these days with deregulation etc. but ,I may be wrong. Although, driving a semi truck is cool!
grin.gif

You've just got to weigh your needs. "Hourly boys" don't necessarily do bad. Most make in the $17 range (this is a job, mind you) ...usually get "per diem" rate for a hotel/meals ..and typically get weekends home. My cousin did the "over the road" stuff when he was younger. Bought his house put his kids through school, etc. Now he relaxed to working for Sysco (institutional food transport) for the hourly pace. When I had a temp job at a corn syrup distribution terminal ..the guy hauling to one of the regional Coke (or Pepsi) regional bottling plants was quite happy if he could fit in a third load a day. Two a day made a fair living ..a third was a bonus ..but his days started at 5 a.m. and ended after 6 p.m. before he was back in his own life. It's not much different than what my father in-law did when he was the acting director of the Delaware River Port Authority. He had a 12 hour day with his commute to the Walt Whitman Bridge everyday and just before his retirement ..didn't get to car pool with the like executives that worked at Campbell Soup in Camden. How much an hour do you think he really made over the span of 15 years starting at around 35k and evolving to 65k with 12 hour days with that 3.5 hour commute (barring accidents on the "Surekill" expressway?

The facility manager at another "job" that I had made under 50k and commuted from the Reading area to Malvern (about 100 miles round trip)..break that down to a "per hour" rate and see what he was working for.

You weigh the value of a given job under two basic criteria. How much do I need to make? ..or.. What am I willing to commit to making a living. Both are "needs" based. Both involve the entire household in regards to acrifice or gain.

Personally, I'd just do everything I could to get out of any debt (of any consequence) and just seek employment that is not substantially challenging ...and live within your means. Getting any municiple or state job ..in any capacity, would be a relative "safe haven". This requires long term vision and diminished gainful desires of "excess" (less toys).

You might want to look for work with a small courier company. You may need to have your own pickup truck or van, You would put crazy mileage on it and get to do UOA'S more often. They also might have a fleet of trucks for local deleveries you can drive, They would probally pay you a mileage rate or an hourly rate or a combo of both. Here in Portland when I drove courier I took home between 9xx.xx and 13xx.xx every two weeks. It all depends on how many miles I ran in that two week period. If you go this route get a vehicle that gets good mileage.

My brother in law is a steel hauler and is pulling some great pay checks. Like $1200 to $1500 a week. His old company was bought out by a Union company and that helped the paycheck.
Like the others have said it is a hard life. He is lucky a lucky man to have my sister for a wife (married over 25 years). Not one of his driver friends is still with their first wife. He works his butt off for those checks. He is pretty lucky that he is home every weekend and holiday. As far as getting a job it isn't hard as long as you have a CDL. The big money is in the hazardous loads, like Gasoline and Chemical transportation.

My Dad's been a truck driver for about 10 years at the same place. He's been there longer than anyone else, works 10-12 hours a day 50 weeks a year, and hauls nothing but hazardous chemicals. He's still barely considered "middle class". I think working your way up at McDonalds would be more profitable.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
I'm about to be layed off and looking for my next career.

Thought about Driving Truck.

An industry and job many members of my family have been involved with since my Great Great Grand Father drove oxen drawn freight wagons from St. Louis to Oregon.

I have no direct experience driving. When in High School I was a three rig company book keeper, maintenance log keeper and passenger seat rider with many hours.

Any suggestions for resources, internet sites, freight lines, or personal comments.

I wonder what will happen when the US finally stops violating the NAFTA agreements and lets Mexican trucks into the US? The trucking lobby helps keep this in place. The likely case is operations will relocate down there, get decent quality drivers for significantly less pay.

There is a huge burnout rate in truck driving. These places such as J. B. Hunt, Schneider's, etc., wouldn't constantly advertise for and recruit drivers if there weren't such a colossal turnover. You need to ask why.

Those of us with long memories remember a nasty truckers' strike in the early 1980s that led to violence and gunplay against strikebreakers and "scabs". In the wake of that, the US government released a report—mentioned in Car and Driver—that essentially said there were too many trucks on US roads anyway and in particular too many independent truckers and marginal trucking firms. All these years later, the number of trucks on US roads has exploded, even though many companies that had been major players in the field, such as Hall's, are long gone.

When I drive on Interstate 81 in Virginia's mountains, it is wall-to-wall big rigs most of the time. The problem with too many trucks has intensified since that report, and there are too many drivers chasing the available loads. That obviously isn't good for pay and working conditions, and it can't continue. More and more intelligent people are asking why so many trucks are driving long distances when trains would be more suitable for lengthy runs with most cargo. The Richmond Times-Dispatch noted that roughly 60% of trucks on the 324 miles of I-81 in Virginia simply pass through without stopping—not beginning or ending their runs nor stopping in Virginia. A more rational transportation policy would ask why much of this cargo can't be diverted to the Norfolk Southern train tracks that roughly parallel I-81 from Knoxville, Tennessee, to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

One colleague left work to drive trucks but came back after a year and a half when the small firm he drove for folded. He told me that he had driven to California and back hauling loads. This also raises the question why trains can't be used for such runs. Change of some sort sems inevitable, and it can't be good for drivers.

To sum up, I say don't do it. I hadn't heard about the problems that Chris142 describes with drivers having to foot the bills for problems, but with the way companies run things today, I can't say I'm surprised. I wouldn't enter the field.

Here's a website where drivers tell their stories.

http://idodac.com/

I did enjoy driving most of the time. There's nothing better than going 70mph, looking over the hood at the swan flying and watching the skirts drive by.

I do have lots of stories to tell like when I found 4 German girls in Death Valley, there car had broken down. Somehow the 5 of us piled into my Peterbilt daycab
grin.gif
and I dropped them off in Baker,Ca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back