Vehicle change - Mazda CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as some have noticed, I'm dropped small hints about having changed vehicles recently.
I traded in the 2011 Mazda RX-8 for a 2014 Mazda CX-5.

dsc01550h.jpg

My reasons for doing so are a bit on the goofy side, but they belong to me and my girl.
If you're curious as to why, its so that we can buy either a Alfa Romeo 4C or a Porsche Cayman in about a year's time, so keep a look out a year from now for the thread on that purchase. The gas bill of the RX-8 wasn't going to help too much with that goal.

Anyway, I didn't want to make any posts about the new CX-5 until everything I had planned to do to the car was completed, and now they are.

Anyway, the car is a 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD.
That means that it has the bigger 2.5 4 cylinder engine, direct fuel injection, Sky-Activ technology all over everything in the car, and is just plain awesome.

But, I wasn't finished with simply a great new car.
My girl and I decided to lavish a bit of extras onto her, and so we broke out the wallet a couple weeks ago.

First thing's first, Cinnamon needs new shoes:

dsc01547nh.jpg

dsc01549no.jpg

dsc01551t.jpg

Then there's the interior of the CX-5.
It's nice:

dsc01540l.jpg

dsc01539.JPG

But we decided it could be a whole lot better.
So a trip to Auto Trim of Denver, had us rolling away with Katzkin custom leather:

dsc01553vu.jpg

dsc01554by.jpg

I can't tell you how nice these seats are.
Black seats, with Dark Charcoal inserts, and Red stitching really makes the interior pop.
Plus, it's less expensive than having gone up to the Grand Touring package, and getting things in the car I didn't want, like a hole in the roof, or the Bose stereo.

The other thing that I picked up were a set of Yokohama Ice Guard IG51V winter tires.
Those are mounted on the stock Mazda wheels, while the OEM Yokohama Geolander G91A's are mounted on the Konig Zero-In wheels you see in the pictures above.

The wheels and tires were picked up through Discount Tire Direct, when they were having a few promotions that I took advantage of. $50 instant savings for buying a set of wheels. $50 instant savings for buying a set of tires. And $80 rebate Visa card for buying a set of wheels and tires. Can't beat that, in my opinion.

Speaking of savings, the Mazda customer loyalty bonus ($500), the Denver Auto Show bonus ($300), and the dealer selling me the car for below invoice all helped make this deal a reality. This wound up being the easiest and most fun vehicle transaction myself and my gf have participated in, and we've had 15 transactions since 2005. Mostly motorcycles, but quite a few cars over the years.

In fact, we were asked by our next door neighbor to join her at the Fiat dealer so she could sign up for a new 2013 Fiat 500 Pop, which she did this past Saturday. We sat with her, and introduced her to the sales manager Chad, whom we've had quite a few great conversations with over the past year, and got her a great deal. It's being ordered, and shipped, just for her.

BC.

I am waiting for usual suspects to chide you for "wasting your money".

In the meantime, the car looks great! Didn't Nick have one of this one?

I really do like the CX-5's, and not just because I work at a Mazda dealer and see them every day. Mazda is really good at making a car not only be utilitarian, but fun to drive. The mods you did are tasteful, and don't scream "i'm modded look at me" which is awesome. Enjoy the car, looks great!!

Glad you clarified you and your gf's "15 transactions" since 2005, was wondering to what you were referring.
56.gif
j/k

Like the idea of taking the car you wanted, upgrading it with the specific features you desired without purchasing the GT package with extras you didn't want, and saving money on top of it. Enjoy your new ride in good health.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Yep. Nice looking car, blade. I really like the leather seats. But personally, I'd have kept that RX-8. I love the RX-8, and those rotary engines- thirsty and impractical as they are.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Yep. Nice looking car, blade. I really like the leather seats. But personally, I'd have kept that RX-8. I love the RX-8, and those rotary engines- thirsty and impractical as they are.

Trust me, I loved the car, too.
But, the sale of it allows me to get an Alfa/Porsche in a year, and will make me want to ride my Ducati more this year than I have in the past 5.

dsc02019it8.jpg

If I hit the lotto tonight, then I will go right back to my dealer, and buy my RX-8 back.
Of course, that means I would have to buy lotto tickets first.
I think I see a flaw in my plan there...

BC.

I am waiting for usual suspects to chide you for "wasting your money".....

Come now, you shouldn't be so cynical. And this isn't a Nick's new vehicle thread starter so perhaps we can expect better here with or without the "usual suspects".

That said, I'm waiting for the standard comment regarding the type drivetrain.

Me, I'm just not into being a judgemental buzz kill over a member's posting of new vehicle purchase. Do unto other's type thing. But, that's just me.

Really do hope the OP enjoy's his new ride.

They are welcome to say something, anything they want.
Won't take away the enjoyment I have for my new car.

And yes, Nick had one, that he wound up hating the seat on, and that made him trade it in on his current car.

But this thread isn't about Nick's cars.

BC.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Come now, you shouldn't be so cynical. And this isn't Nick's new vehicle thread starter so perhaps we can expect better here with or without the "usual suspects".

It would be great if we could avoid having ANYONE police this thread, I would really appreciate it. This would simply make the thread that much better.

That said, I'm waiting for the standard comment regarding the type drivetrain.

Not sure what you mean by that...
I mentioned that it is an AWD in the thread.
I also mentioned that it's the 2.5 liter engine.

Me, I'm just not into being a judgmental buzz kill over a member's posting of new vehicle purchase. Do unto other's type thing. But, that's just me.

Really do hope the OP enjoy's his new ride.

I definitely do enjoy the CX-5!
Thanks!

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
and will make me want to ride my Ducati more this year than I have in the past 5.

Oh wow! We need to have a thread about your Ducati. Screw that cx-5.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I like it a lot. Are those wheels OEM or aftermarket ?

Those are aftermarket wheels.
Konig Zero-In. Just in the stock 17" size.

You can look them up on Discount Tire's website.
The red insert in the wheel really helps add just a little extra to the appearance of the car. Oddly enough, the night shots pick up the red better than the day shots do. I guess I'm just not that great at taking pictures.

My gf and I spent the better part of a weekend trying to decide which wheels to choose from between Discount Tire and Tire Rack. These one's won out pretty handily.

Normally I don't do upgrades to my cars, as I usually view it as a waste of money, when the car company puts so much effort into building a great overall package, but these wheels just added a bit extra, in our opinions, without looking obnoxious, or blingy.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
and will make me want to ride my Ducati more this year than I have in the past 5.

Oh wow! We need to have a thread about your Ducati. Screw that cx-5.
lol.gif

Hey now!

The Ducati I bought new back in August '08.
The CX-5 is going to get a trailer hitch receiver put on it so that I can spend a bit more quality time at High Plains Raceway with it.

So, the CX-5 is just as important.

Ask for information about the 848, and I'll gladly fill you in.

One of these days', I'm going to have to pull out all three of my red toys, and take a group shot together. Don't ask me how I would up with all three of my toys being red, either. The Hawk GT was bought first, and was red. The 848 was my second red toy, and I really wanted white, but my dealer was out of stock at the time, and made me an offer I didn't refuse on this one. The CX-5 just looks fantastic in red, this one being Soul Red, and different from last year's Zeal Red.

How did that happen?

Oh, wait, now I remember...

My gf's a redhead.
I think that explains it somewhat.
wink.gif

BC.

Probably should have used the term transmission, but never mind it's really not important.

The most important part was/is, enjoy.
cheers3.gif

AWD's only come in automatic here in the US market.
And up until this car, I've stayed as far away from auto's as I possibly could.

This transmission really is that good in order to sway me into buying one.

It's freaky.

BC.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Anytime you want to get rid of that front plate.....

It will happen, but because of how well things went at the dealership, I'm leaving it on for a little while. All our previous cars have those things removed before even leaving the dealer lot.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back