Vegetable Oil to Pass Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like others have said, use a cleaner with PEA in it at high doses to clean up the internals, and do a fresh oil change right before it goes in for inspection. Then get the engine warmed up so it's not running rich trying to warm itself up.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not fix the underlying problem. I do not see a real correlation between oil and emissions, unless the engine is burning a lot of oil.
+ 1

If NOX is the only issue, you realy should clean out the EGR system. In CO, you already are running a lower effective compression ratio, because of the elevation.

If you want to be lazy, a gallon or so of E85 in a half of a tank of E10 will likely lower NOX a bit. But it may screw up unburned hydrocarbons or something else.

Bottom line, it is most likely a plugged EGR......Best to just get your hands dirty, buy a gasket, and fix it correctly.

OP, what octane fuel were you running? If the vehicle normal operates on 87 octane, increasing to 89 will lower the Nox, but raise the CO and ROG. 91 octane will lower Nox significantly, so try 89 first.
Lowering the combustion temperature by lowering the jacket water temperature will also reduce Nox. Lower temp thermostat, or fix a faulty cooling system.

Originally Posted By: landtoy80
Was thinking of using a vegetable oil as a motor oil just to see if it will help me pass emissions. Last time I tried to pass I got very close but was just a little high with NOx.
I didn't end up needed to pass emissions as I moved away. I now need to pass.

Been reading that unrefined Canola oil oil results in very low emissions when used as a motor oil. I cant find unrefined Canola oil. My second thought was to try Castor oil. I know it has been used as a motor oil in the past but not sure if it will help lower emissions like NOx.

I have looked into the Smoke Free Oils and that they lower emissions but dont like the price of the oil. They are quite pricy. I would like to try a low cost vegetable oil first to see if there is any change in emissions. If the veggie oil worked, then I would consider trying the No Smoke Oils.

My plan is to just drain and fill with veggie oil and go right to the emissions station, then drain and fill with motor oil.

If I go with Castor oil (not Castrol oil), is there more than one grade of Castor oil or do I just buy the cheapest Castor oil I can find?

If your engine was manufactured before 1930 and you run it on Methanol then Castor Oil is OK . In 1912 Messrs. C.C. Wakefield managed to blend Castor Oil with Mineral Oil to create a new oil called "Castrol"
If you really want to blow some money, Castrol M is the latest incarnation of the original Castor oil racing oil still used by folks who run methanol fueled race engines. Oh, and its a one use oil, need to be changed after each drive.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Vegetable oil IN PLACE of motor oil? Jee, why didn't I think of that? With the high price of motor oil these days, I could've been running Wesson oil all these years.
grin2.gif

+1 - I can't believe this is even an issue for discussion.

thumbsup2.gif

I think the OP is forgetting that the additive package is in a base oil to protect the engine. Too many people focus on just the base oil when it is the base oil PLUS additive package that prevents catastrophic failures.

With canola oil, you be able to use your catalytic converter as a popcorn popper.

No doubt your Land Cruiser will have fewer saturated fats during your next OCI.

Orville Redenbacher makes some additives you could use but I would stay away from them. I believe they are just "snake oil."

I was basing the use of veggie oil of some studies over the years using veggie (canola oil).

Save
Export
Print
Cite

Colorado Springs, Colo., Firm's Vegetable-Based Engine Oil Wins Award.
Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News
February 12, 2004 | Copyright

By Paul Beebe, The Gazette, Colorado Springs, Colo. Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

Feb. 12--A vegetable-based engine oil invented by a Colorado Springs firm has been named one of the best technologies for 2004 by a venture capital association and a group funded by Congress to commercialize federal research.

Agro Management Group has figured out how to change oil squeezed from canola seed into an engine lubricant that puts out cleaner tailpipe emissions, cuts engine wear and isn't toxic like petroleum oil.

"We discovered that we were reducing hydrocarbons by 28 percent to 30 percent and carbon monoxide by 30 percent to 45 percent," Jim Lambert, Agro's chief executive officer, said Wednesday. …

The problems with veggie oil were hot and cold temps over time and getting past the oil companies.
Now looking at it, I see no word of reducing NOx, just other emissions. Its been 3 years and a ton of more miles on the motor so I hope I just have a problem with NOx and not the other emissions.

I will just try with regular oil and if I have to I will try http://www.fhsoils.com/motor_faq.html and see if that helps.

I was basing the use of veggie oil of some studies over the years using veggie (canola oil).

The vegetable oil they are refining for use as a motor oil is not the same thing as a bottle of Wesson at the local grocery store.

Was thinking of using a vegetable oil as a motor oil just to see if it will help me pass emissions. Last time I tried to pass I got very close but was just a little high with NOx.
I didn't end up needed to pass emissions as I moved away. I now need to pass.

Been reading that unrefined Canola oil oil results in very low emissions when used as a motor oil. I cant find unrefined Canola oil. My second thought was to try Castor oil. I know it has been used as a motor oil in the past but not sure if it will help lower emissions like NOx.

I have looked into the Smoke Free Oils and that they lower emissions but dont like the price of the oil. They are quite pricy. I would like to try a low cost vegetable oil first to see if there is any change in emissions. If the veggie oil worked, then I would consider trying the No Smoke Oils.

My plan is to just drain and fill with veggie oil and go right to the emissions station, then drain and fill with motor oil.

If I go with Castor oil (not Castrol oil), is there more than one grade of Castor oil or do I just buy the cheapest Castor oil I can find?

Sounds like internet babel to me.
crazy2.gif

Save
Export
Print
Cite

Colorado Springs, Colo., Firm's Vegetable-Based Engine Oil Wins Award.
February 12, 2004 | Copyright

By Paul Beebe, The Gazette, Colorado Springs, Colo. Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

Feb. 12--A vegetable-based engine oil invented by a Colorado Springs firm has been named one of the best technologies for 2004 by a venture capital association and a group funded by Congress to commercialize federal research.

Agro Management Group has figured out how to change oil squeezed from canola seed into an engine lubricant that puts out cleaner tailpipe emissions, cuts engine wear and isn't toxic like petroleum oil.

"We discovered that we were reducing hydrocarbons by 28 percent to 30 percent and carbon monoxide by 30 percent to 45 percent," Jim Lambert, Agro's chief executive officer, said Wednesday. …

The problems with veggie oil were hot and cold temps over time and getting past the oil companies.
Now looking at it, I see no word of reducing NOx, just other emissions. Its been 3 years and a ton of more miles on the motor so I hope I just have a problem with NOx and not the other emissions.

I will just try with regular oil and if I have to I will try http://www.fhsoils.com/motor_faq.html and see if that helps.

Unless the engine in question is consuming mass quantities of sump oil, there is very little effect on tailpipe emissions. The quote you posted doesn't make any sense.

It is similar to claims of "40% less friction, 20% better fuel mileage!" There isn't near the pollutants available from the engine oil to reduce, in the first place.

Quote:
We discovered that we were reducing hydrocarbons by 28 percent to 30 percent and carbon monoxide by 30 percent to 45 percent," Jim Lambert, Agro's chief executive officer, said Wednesday. …

Than what? No oil at all?

Sounds like internet garbage to me...

I bought some of that natural gas oil and when I opened the bottle, all it did was make a lengthy "psst" sound.

I looked in the bottle and it was completely empty.

I don't think they processed that batch long enough.
grin.gif

I knew it! That natural gas stuff was a sham...

I opened a bottle and it was neither natural no gas. Must have processed it too much.

And now I know Jurassic park was real or how would they ever be able to juice some dinosaurs to make "conventional".

At first I thought this thread was a Hoax then I found this link below which talks about the Agro Management acquiring rights to Canola Oil. It confirms if Canola Oil is burnt in the engine it will smell like popcorn.

http://www.rense.com/ufo/motoroil.htm

As spelt our earlier what about add packs for API ACEA and OEM certifications ?

Unclear what direction there is this topic is it in the correct forum ?

Last edited:
Seriously, I would recommend the OP get that old Land Cruiser to the shop for some engine work and some new cats.

Otherwise, he needs to move somewhere that doesn't do emissions testing.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
At first I thought this thread was a Hoax then I found this link below which talks about the Agro Management acquiring rights to Canola Oil. It confirms if Canola Oil is burnt in the engine it will smell like popcorn.

http://www.rense.com/ufo/motoroil.htm

Here's a honey of a quote from that link:

"If canola motor oil replaced just 5 percent of the petroleum oil used today, the United States market for canola motor oil would be roughly 50 million gallons. To meet that demand, canola crops would require as much land as is now devoted to corn production."

94 Toyota Land Cruiser 416,000 "original" miles.
1 qt 1000 to 2000 miles.

Rebuilding the motor is not an option as the vehicle is not quite worth $1000 if that. I drive it till it dies or it wont pass emissions.

Time to junk the truck, since it meets your criteria for junking it.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back