Vega Engine Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

Originally posted by gudmund:
[qb] and to think, The 1971 Vega was Motor Trend magazines "Car of the Year"!!!!
The Vega was a highly innovative car, well deserving of the award. MT had no way of knowing the design would be so poorly executed. /QB]

MT couldn't find it's ample arse with both hands.

"MT had no way of knowing the design would be so poorly executed."

they could have SAT IN ONE.

"No design that we learn from was a complete failure. "

yes, but why build 500,000 of them first?

(just jerkin' yer chain)

I think that MT award should have gone to the AMC Gremlin. Yes, the Gremlin. It was the FIRST American-made subcompact, was a unique use of an existing chassis to create a new car (the Hornet), and was a far more reliable and safe car than any the Pinto or Vega. Sure, it didn't get as good of fuel mileage, but the I-6 it used was one the toughest and most reliable engines ever to come out of the 1960'/1970's.

Not to get too off-topic or on a rant, but I hate the way the Gremlin makes it onto lists of the 'worst cars of all time' - it was actually one of the most mechanically and bodily sound cars to come out of the 1970's. Sure, many may consider it 'ugly' but since when does that have anything to do with reliablility or cost to operate?

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
"MT had no way of knowing the design would be so poorly executed."

they could have SAT IN ONE.

If that didn't do the job, they could have driven one down a bumpy road. The uni-body chassis was a real flexy flier. It has more cowl shake than some old British roadsters.

Gremlin? OK, now you're hitting below the belt. My wife came with one of those. Still have the wife. Not bad but any wetness anywhere would drown the distributor which for some reason was mounted very low and beside the front wheel (splash! sputter, cough...)

Loved the commercials.

"Where's the rest of your car?"

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by gudmund:
and to think, The 1971 Vega was Motor Trend magazines "Car of the Year"!!!!

Another reason why I never believe much of what MT says. They seem like the "Windows 95" of automotive magazines.

Agreed. When I was young I always thought that Road &Track had the best judgement, Car & Driver had often great writing and Motor Trend had.....
ummmm...
that ummm... caliper sculpture award thingy???

The last 10 years of choices have been better but, have a look a the list of winners from 1970 to 1990. At least 30% would qualify as "the worst car available" at the time. The rest comprise maybe three "slam dunk great cars", three or four "yeah that's okay" and ten "what were they smoking?". I mean my family had 3 of the cars on this list, all total crap, and I have had close friends who oewned another 3 that I spent a lot of time in.

1990 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
1988 Pontiac Grand Prix
1987 Ford Thunderbird
1986 Ford Taurus LX
1985 Volkswagen GTI
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1983 American Motors Renault Alliance
1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1981 Chrysler K-cars, Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant
1980 Chevrolet Citation
1979 Buick Riviera S
1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon
1977 Chevrolet Caprice
1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare
1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2 V-8
1974 Ford Mustang II
1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1972 Citroen SM
1971 Chevrolet Vega
1970 Ford Torino

Shelley? Is that really you? Oh, my long lost sister at last! Are you still that cute little girl I remember so well? And how's the Vega. You remember - the white car with the cool black racing stripes that was suppose to be MY car when I started driving. Oh, how I've waited to drive "Motor Trends Car of the Year" all these years! I'm sure I won't be disappointed!
Hey . . . wait a minute . . . . . I can't drive because I can't use my hands or feet. And Shelley . . . . what are you doing on a site with a bunch of guys talking about oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back